Tbjdragonz

Forum Ride Along
Hello,

First time poster here, so hopefully I got the right forum for this, but I really need some feedback.

I completed my EMT class just before summer began and obtained my NREMT license immediately after as I am eager to get started (I left my full time job as a store manager at Verizon Wireless just to pursue this for experience so I could move up to emt-p as my next goal). Everything has gone smoothly up to this point, but I am just awaiting my CA and San Diego certifications to come back.

Today, I got a call because of my live scans coming back with a prior arrest I had in 2016. It was a $50 shoplifting charge that was charged as a midemeanor and was reduced to an infraction after I completed an anti-theft course, 50hrs community service, and paid a fine (yes, I learned my lesson; and yes, I was stupid to do this, but these are the mistakes we make that teach us who we are and/or who we don't want to be). Anyhow, the live Scan came back as a "misdemeanor" even though it was reduced and on my application I had stated that I had no midemeanor or felony convictions (which is true, I was CHARGED with a midemeanor, but CONVICTED of an infraction after I did my duties, so I wasn't sure if this was a court system error or not) and they thought I had lied. After explaining the situation, they seemed to understand a lot better and requested I send my court docs to them, which I did, and they set me up for a meeting later this month with an investigator to determine whether I would receive my cert or not.

My question here is, i obtained that charge while still living at home with my parents who I had been having issues with, and now I am out living on my own, and although yes it was only 2 years ago, a LOT has changed about me and my Outlook on life in a much more positive way. I recognize that this was a stupid thing for me to do but I hope to move forward from it as this is even what the prosecutors had hoped I would do, hence why they helped me to reduce the charge; does anyone have any feedback on this situation and what I should tell them when I go in to interview with the investigator?

Any input on whether my certification is realistic or if I should rethink my route? I'd love some help here.

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Hello,

First time poster here, so hopefully I got the right forum for this, but I really need some feedback.

I completed my EMT class just before summer began and obtained my NREMT license immediately after as I am eager to get started (I left my full time job as a store manager at Verizon Wireless just to pursue this for experience so I could move up to emt-p as my next goal). Everything has gone smoothly up to this point, but I am just awaiting my CA and San Diego certifications to come back.

Today, I got a call because of my live scans coming back with a prior arrest I had in 2016. It was a $50 shoplifting charge that was charged as a midemeanor and was reduced to an infraction after I completed an anti-theft course, 50hrs community service, and paid a fine (yes, I learned my lesson; and yes, I was stupid to do this, but these are the mistakes we make that teach us who we are and/or who we don't want to be). Anyhow, the live Scan came back as a "misdemeanor" even though it was reduced and on my application I had stated that I had no midemeanor or felony convictions (which is true, I was CHARGED with a midemeanor, but CONVICTED of an infraction after I did my duties, so I wasn't sure if this was a court system error or not) and they thought I had lied. After explaining the situation, they seemed to understand a lot better and requested I send my court docs to them, which I did, and they set me up for a meeting later this month with an investigator to determine whether I would receive my cert or not.

My question here is, i obtained that charge while still living at home with my parents who I had been having issues with, and now I am out living on my own, and although yes it was only 2 years ago, a LOT has changed about me and my Outlook on life in a much more positive way. I recognize that this was a stupid thing for me to do but I hope to move forward from it as this is even what the prosecutors had hoped I would do, hence why they helped me to reduce the charge; does anyone have any feedback on this situation and what I should tell them when I go in to interview with the investigator?

Any input on whether my certification is realistic or if I should rethink my route? I'd love some help here.
Just tell the truth and show how you've changed and what you have done to fix your mistake

OP
OP
Tbjdragonz

Tbjdragonz

Forum Ride Along
Just tell the truth and show how you've changed and what you have done to fix your mistake
I appreciate that input and I definitely plan to do that. I figure honesty gets me further and if my last mistake hurts my chances, then I have nobody to blame other than myself. I would just be grateful for the opportunity to put my past yearsyeducation to good use.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I recognize that this was a stupid thing for me to do but I hope to move forward from it as this is even what the prosecutors had hoped I would do, hence why they helped me to reduce the charge; does anyone have any feedback on this situation and what I should tell them when I go in to interview with the investigator?

You are innocent until proven guilty; you were never convicted of a misdemeanor, nor a felony. The court documents will back up that claim. Is there a reason (in the Ca EMS protocols) for them to deny you your certification? I don't think the infraction would qualify as a reason for them to deny you.

It might make it harder to get a job (they do background checks too, so keep your court documents readily available), but it shouldn't stop you from getting your cert.

BobBarker

Forum Lieutenant
Hello,

I deal with livescans in my line of work now for employees and it usually comes up as what you were charged with and there also should be details under that section that deals with what the outcome/sentencing were. Some applications, for example CHP, want to know anything you have ever been charged with, regardless of the outcome. Obviously you will explain to them what happened in the end. Ultimately, you were still charged with a misdemeanor even though they dropped it to an infraction.

OP
OP
Tbjdragonz

Tbjdragonz

Forum Ride Along
I deal with livescans in my line of work now for employees and it usually comes up as what you were charged with and there also should be details under that section that deals with what the outcome/sentencing were. Some applications, for example CHP, want to know anything you have ever been charged with, regardless of the outcome. Obviously you will explain to them what happened in the end. Ultimately, you were still charged with a misdemeanor even though they dropped it to an infraction.

My hope is that they see the deal I worked out with prosecution to have the charge reduced to an infraction, the fact that I completed it all, and that it was my one and only issue with the law, I hope they can see it as the learning opportunity that I see it as, as well.

BobBarker

Forum Lieutenant
My hope is that they see the deal I worked out with prosecution to have the charge reduced to an infraction, the fact that I completed it all, and that it was my one and only issue with the law, I hope they can see it as the learning opportunity that I see it as, as well.
That is something that you would have to explain and they should definitely take into consideration. For our employees, just prior to getting a livescan, we have them fill out a "criminal record statement". On there, it asks if you were ever charged with a misdemeanor or felony and also asks for your explanation. If you are a good prospective employee, you learned from your mistake and you're still able to legally work in that field despite the conviction, you should be hired.

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
How old were you when this happened?

OP
OP
Tbjdragonz

Tbjdragonz

Forum Ride Along
I was 19, I am 22 now. It wasn't 5+ years or anything, but since it happened I moved out of my aren't and learned what the world is really like, began school again, and am finishing up my AA right now..just hoping I can pursue EMT-p.

OP
OP
Tbjdragonz

Tbjdragonz

Forum Ride Along
That is something that you would have to explain and they should definitely take into consideration. For our employees, just prior to getting a livescan, we have them fill out a "criminal record statement". On there, it asks if you were ever charged with a misdemeanor or felony and also asks for your explanation. If you are a good prospective employee, you learned from your mistake and you're still able to legally work in that field despite the conviction, you should be hired.
You are innocent until proven guilty; you were never convicted of a misdemeanor, nor a felony. The court documents will back up that claim. Is there a reason (in the Ca EMS protocols) for them to deny you your certification? I don't think the infraction would qualify as a reason for them to deny you.

It might make it harder to get a job (they do background checks too, so keep your court documents readily available), but it shouldn't stop you from getting your cert.

Hey guys, just wanted to go be you an update on the situation out of respect for your help, and let you know that I did get it without any conditions/probationary Terms.

(Next portion is to help any aspiring EMT that is in the position I was when writing the original post)

Now I'm not sure if there will be someone else in this situation someday somewhere around the country, so I'll share what I did...
I went in to the interview knowing that I needed to own up to the situation and my previous actions. I politely shook the interviewer's hand and introduced myself, and was early to the interview. Upon sitting with him, I began by telling him that whatever he wanted to know, I would tell him to the best of my memory and would provide any proof that he might need to help him out. I told him I would be an open book. Throughout the interview, I provided him with everything I remembered about my court case, my actions on the date I was arrested, and I told him that this was ultimately a learning experience that helped me to identify the person I wanted to be and exactly who I did NOT want to be, it was a wake up call, and "I honestly screwed up that day and I realize that". As long as you remain honest and don't hold any information back, I believe that most people will respect you and who you become if you man up to mistakes of your past.

At the end of the interview, I thanked him for his time and told him that I appreciate his time spent with me today and I wish that it didn't have to occur to begin with (having to do an investigation and having a record to begin with), and he asked if I had any last remarks for the digital voice recorder, in which I just started that I honestly made a huge mistake that day and if I could revoke it, I would, but since I can not, I will value it as a lesson that I learned. Lastly I told him that if I didn't get there certification, I appreciated his time anyway and I understand that it is just a part of the consequences of my previous actions.

I know this all may sound cheesy but it's my honest view on the situation and I hope that this can help even just one more person who may be in my situation. I look forward to starting my new EMT ambulance job this coming Wednesday and feel confident in pursuing my pre reqs for medic.

Thanks a lot for your feedback and support everyone!:D