C-Collar for Sleeping

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Aside from the problem that you are using supplies from your own ambulance to help you sleep, even if it is disposable, using a rigid or semi rigid cervical collar would very quickly become uncomfortable and cause significant soreness at pressure points. I would say you need to keep a travel pillow on hand, use one of those J pillows, or get enough sleep so that you won't be needing to nap while on on-duty.

SeeNoMore

Old and Crappy
I would not want to use any c - collar on the truck. The link you posted does not look particularly comfortable to me, and also I assume you don't carry that type on the truck?

OP
OP
adamNYC

adamNYC

Forum Lieutenant
All amazon links we do not carry no. I'm just tired of mild neck stiffness from trips lasting 30-60 minutes. Wouldn't mind using it on the subway either.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
No, that style is a soft collar.
All amazon links we do not carry no. I'm just tired of mild neck stiffness from trips lasting 30-60 minutes. Wouldn't mind using it on the subway either.
If you're so tired that you need to take naps during trips that are less than 60 minutes, then you need to get more sleep.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Wait what? Have you ever put a c-collar on yourself? Have you then looked in a mirror?

I bet the public would love to see some dude passed out in an ambulance with a collar on. Dial 'er back.

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
My advice would be suspend the backboard from the ceiling bar for long trips, then buckle yourself onto it so you don't fall off while doing basically the same thing as the ER but at 80mph. That way you're well rested when you have to save butts not kiss them.
Don't listen to these nay sayers! They don't know what EMS is about. Keep buffing calls! The public needs people like you to come to their aid!
Don't forget to give yourself 50mg of Benadryl IV before long trips so you can sleep soundly and not get car sick. And 15lpm is great for those hungover mornings at work.
#SultanMohammed

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I halfway enjoy this.

WildlandEMT89

Forum Lieutenant
Are we going to step up our game or continue to be amateurs?

31e93ddb798765332b70e1681ef1e61b.jpg

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
There is a fair amount of douchebaggery to be had in the majority of the OP's threads.

Last edited:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I have strung my hammock between ambulances in the bay. Turns out the recliner is superior.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I'm a fan of the recliner as well. If one isn't available, I'll next go for the couch or a well disinfected bench seat.

RedAirplane

Forum Asst. Chief
Confused-- are your naps 30-60 minutes and this causing the neck pain?

Or are you response times 30-60 minutes causing you to want to take a nap, but unable because of the neck issue?

Or is it something else?

----

One time I had a C-Collar put on me it was extremely comfortable, but if it is not perfectly aligned and perfectly adjusted it is hell (and that's how it usually ends up).

Based on what I've managed to interpret, I'd recommend a travel pillow.