Bug out bag

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
How have I never seen this before?

This is one of the coolest things in the history of the internet.

The detail in the posting is almost more impressive than the bag itself.

SeeNoMore

Old and Crappy
I feel like I am missing some essential part of EMS not being a whacker. I have never carried any medical item outside of work. It has never really occued to me. I need to get more excited.

Av8or007

Forum Lieutenant
The interesting thing is that if that 'zombie hunters bob' was put together by someone who was qualified to use the airway gear and narcotics it would be a good bag for that purpose, which is an at home emerg bag for when SHTF.
------
I do have a bit of a 'wacker' bag, but all but two modular parts are bls. The modules contain; 1 a very basic iv kit and a litre of saline and 2 a decent drug bag (all meds are otc where i live and there are absolutely no narcs for very obvious legal and security reasons ( technically tylenol 1 is otc but not worth the risk of theft if someone thinks they are t3's...).

This enables you to pull out the 'restricted' modules very quickly to leave in the car if you need to stop and help but they are still available for personal use, especially at camp where the response time may be 40-50 min.

The bls options include bvm, nasal/oral airways, o2, a crap load of trauma supplies and diagnostics including spo2, bp, temp and BGL (this is a grey area, will not do to joe bloe public)

Last edited by a moderator:

Av8or007

Forum Lieutenant
What i really find funny about that bag is that the guy has enough narcs to treat pain 30 years into the future but doesn't have any basic parentral meds - where is the gravol, benadryl, epi (in amps), d50, zofran, toradol, methylprednisolone .etc

Also where's the atrovent and prednisone?

Not saying that's a good idea, but you'd think that those meds would be there given that he has access to an apparently blank rx pad...

Did anyone notice the concentration of the morphine?

15 mg/ml!

Wow.

FlaviaSyday

Spammer
So, who here has a bug out bag? What do you keep in it? I dont have one yet, but will be putting one together in the near future.

OP
OP
ChewyEMS

ChewyEMS

Forum Probie
So a ton of good stuff on here. So far my Bob has some BLS stuff Like bvm and trauma supplies a good assortment of iv mats. and a good variety of otc meds like antibiotics some pain management stuff a bottle of vodka 2000 ml of NS and necessary tubing.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I would never carry a BVM in a big out bag. If someone needs to be bagged there's not much more that can be done for them in a survival situation.

Hey... I didn't mean to restart the war, I just wanted some lolz. And that bag of whacker goodness does it for me every time. Every. Time.

That's all I really referenced it for as well. But this is the serious zone.

It's not that we're "excited" about being in EMS, I have a skill set that could prove to be the difference between life and death in one of the many dangerous hobbies that I do. I refuse to stand by idly if SHTF when we're riding in the background.

I couldn't live with myself.

OP
OP
ChewyEMS

ChewyEMS

Forum Probie
I have my reasons for the BVM. I agree that they would be circling the drain, but again I have my reasons.

JPINFV

Gadfly
The interesting thing is that if that 'zombie hunters bob' was put together by someone who was qualified to use the airway gear and narcotics it would be a good bag for that purpose, which is an at home emerg bag for when SHTF.
...except it's a terrible bag for multiple reasons. First off, there's too many things that could be replaced with cheaper, smaller, more useful (read multiple uses). Second, a lot of the critical care items are absolutely useless in SHTF/zombie apocalypse situations. Ok, so you've intubated the sick dude. You now have to have a member of your team babysit the person to squeeze the BVM. You still have no way of feeding or hydrating the patient or maintaining paralysis. You're basically screwed either way, now you're just wasting resources caring for someone who is going to die anyways.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I have my reasons for the BVM. I agree that they would be circling the drain, but again I have my reasons.

Sorry, wasn't meant as an attack towards you, just my opinion.

The BVMs our TEMS guys carry are badass. They fold in on themselves into a little hard plastic case about the thickness of a hockey pick and about 5-6 inches in diameter.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
No, I don't have a Bug Out Bag. I have a Get Home Bag - basically a 48-72 hour kit to allow me to get home in any likely situation. Medical supplies are limited to BLS bleeding control, and treatments for scrapes, bruises, strains, sprains, and fractures.