Brother cheated

45revolution

Forum Probie
you guys act like you've never needed to look something up after or during a call

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
you guys act like you've never needed to look something up after or during a call
There is a big difference between looking something up before or after a call and looking something up while you are taking a test. You're supposed to have baseline knowledge to pass the NREMT exams. Where once you are in the field it may be a while between different call types and you need to refresh your memory on what steps need to be taken. I've looked up our snake bite protocol in the way to a call just to be sure I followed it correctly. Also some people might not see a certain patient demographic for a while and need a refresher on the way to the call or what to refresh what they may have missed after a call. Nothing is wrong with doing that. I have access to a complete pharmacy for any patients that I transport out of my hospital, am I supposed to know every single drug and everything about it? Or maybe I learn the common ones we transport and reference a drug encyclopedia for the others as I come across them.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.

I do it on calls often. I didn’t do it in a testing situation where I was specifically NOT PERMITTED to use outside sources. :)

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I have on many occasions. The difference is I didn't have to when I was being tested. I put in the work and passed without having to break rules to do so.

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
Not during a test where you know the rules going in. Not the same after a call.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I absolutely do not condone cheating. I did EMT—>EMTP—>NREMTP—>CCEMTP—>FP-C—>AASEMTP—>ASN—>ASN boards—>CFRN—>CCRN—BSN—>CRNA entry exam—>numerous CRNA program exams—>CRNA board certification and I never cheated on a single question the whole time.

That said, I am aware of the reality that many people do cheat. There's a decent chance that that MD you see all the time that is really awesome at what he does and who you learn from frequently, may have cheated at at least one point in his academic career.

The problem isn't that the testers necessarily need to cheat in oder to pass. The problem is that the stakes are so high. You've spent several years working hard and accumulating debt in order to reach a certain point. Even if you are pretty confident you can pass without cheating, if there's something you can do to ensure that you do pass, and you are pretty confident that you can do so without getting caught, then you have a risk:benefit scenario to analyze. You can talk about integrity and ethics all you want, but if you want to do a really honest analysis of those things, you have to take into account the actual consequences of cheating vs. the consequences of potentially failing a high-stakes exam for some reason other than clinical competence.

Again, I do not condone cheating, but if you want to be really honest about the problem and potentially have a positive impact on it, you have no choice but to accept that fact that it really isn't as simple as it appears on it's face. It isn't right, but the ramifications of failing might not be right, either.

Last edited:

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Remi, I agree with you about the risk/benefit nature of cheating scenarios. I'm also pretty sure most of us have done things we're not proud of, and some of that was cheating. But when my kids were younger, I wouldn't have wanted to make it any easier for them to cheat by suggesting possible justifications. (I'm not saying you're doing that -- please bear with me.) That's kind of how I see our responsibilities on a public forum like this: have a bias toward representing ethics for its own sake. Sometimes we're hypocrites when we do that, and sometimes the issues are too complex for easy answers, but I think it's better for our industry if we encourage those who ask about cheating to see it as bad and career-threatening.

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
.... but I think it's better for our industry if we encourage those who ask about cheating to see it as bad and career-threatening.

Who here has done otherwise? Condemning cheating and advocating for a second chance after appropriate consequences aren't mutually exclusive.

mo2002

Forum Crew Member
Wow pretty harsh, one bad move and he needs to find another way to make a living? I could understand if he spat on someone or lost his cool, but he got caught cheating. Even the registry would most likely reprimand similar to those with DUIs but most cases even they don't revoke access forever. Anywho I digress.

Your "brother" needs to get their act together, study more efficiently, and ask for grace and mercy from the state. Otherwise I hear Uber is hiring

Ethan

Forum Crew Member
I dont believe he will be retesting anytime soon. I believe the regulations are also written on the NREMT. Calling them is advised.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I put in the work and passed without having to break rules to do so.

It's funny because for me to say I've never cheated would be the biggest load of bull I've ever fed to anyone. No one here is perfect, but when it came to my NREMT and recently my NREMT-P(?) NRP(?) I used a primitive method where I studied the material and hot damn it actually worked.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
It's funny because for me to say I've never cheated would be the biggest load of bull I've ever fed to anyone. No one here is perfect, but when it came to my NREMT and recently my NREMT-P(?) NRP(?) I used a primitive method where I studied the material and hot damn it actually worked.
Oh we all have at one point in our lives. I'd hope that anyone at the point of testing to be a Paramedic would have long since outgrown that phase of life where that is more common.

TheEleventhHour

Forum Crew Member
I'm not perfect but I'd rather fail & see what I don't know so I could strengthen my knowledgebase is those areas as opposed to cheating & not knowing what to do in the field. Someone's life may be at stake.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I say close this thread as no further useful information can come from it. @Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
The moderators are watching this thread. As long as rules are not broken, it will stay open.

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
The moderators are watching this thread. As long as rules are not broken, it will stay open.

240pxo.jpg