BP Cuffs?

chilipepper25

Forum Probie
What's the norm on a truck? Is it the old fashioned stethoscope/pump method or are electronic ones typically used? It would seem that an electronic one would be more accurate and less of a hassle (not saying it's much of a hassle anyway) in a noisy environment. Sorry if this is a foolish question, I'm just curious.:)

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
It wholly depends on the agency.

NIBP (automatic) cuffs are getting more prevalent because they are built in to the new cardiac monitors, but it is still generally recommended that the first pressure be manual.

Sassafras

Forum Captain
We have both but I prefer the manual because I feel I can "hear" the difference between a bump and a heart beat better than the automatic can differentiate.

mar7967

Forum Crew Member
We have NIBP on our trucks...but we are highly encouraged to get at least one manual during the call (preferable first). I usually take one or two manual, and switch to the NIBP during transport.

sir.shocksalot

Forum Captain
What's the norm on a truck? Is it the old fashioned stethoscope/pump method or are electronic ones typically used? It would seem that an electronic one would be more accurate and less of a hassle (not saying it's much of a hassle anyway) in a noisy environment. Sorry if this is a foolish question, I'm just curious.:)
I just read a study that found a significant difference between manual and automatic cuffs, I don't think it was a huge difference but it was "statistically significant". Anyway like others have said we have both, on more routine pt's where pinpoint accuracy in a B/P is not necessary and I'm feeling lazy I'll use the NIBP machine. If I need a pressure to base my treatment or impression on I'll use a manual.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Even though our ALS rigs had automatic cuffs on their LifePak 12s, I can't ever remember it being used for an initial assessment. I found that using a manual cuff only takes a few seconds after you've been doing it long enough.

MasterIntubator

Forum Captain
We have both ProPaq and LP15 with NiBP, but by personal choice I do all manual BPs. ( quicker ( less movements ), less painful, and I use the BP as a tourniquet as I can titrate the pressure to the vein )

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I've had access to both... and frankly, while I prefer manual (same reasons as MI) I really don't care which one I use. I try to get a manual on scene and an NIBP shortly after so that I can compare the two, if NIBP is available. After that, I care more about the trend and response to interventions than the actual numbers.

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
We carry manual and automatic (built into our LP15's). I LIKE to get a manual first, I hate to say it doesn't always happen but I think probably 90% of the time I get a manual first. After I get my manual I put them on the automatic and let it do it's thing while I do all my other stuff. If it's in the neighborhood of the patients pressure I let it be. If it starts to get whacky or the patients condition starts to change I switch back to manual if I have the hands (atleast grab a quick palp if I can).

NIBP is a good tool but you can't rely on it and as always treat your patient not the monitor.

livewiremaxx

Forum Crew Member
For us on our medic rigs, and basic rigs we have Manual. For our ALS rigs we have monitor as well as manual. I prefer starting out with Manual, transfering over to auto and then seeing them match up. Then I know the accuracy of the reading.

Its always wierd going in to do ER time and have them all hooked up Auto and never once do a manual.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Even though our ALS rigs had automatic cuffs on their LifePak 12s, I can't ever remember it being used for an initial assessment. I found that using a manual cuff only takes a few seconds after you've been doing it long enough.

I will usually get my first pressure manually on the scene, once we get in the rig, I will set the Zoll to Auto NIBP and my interval to q5.

Sassafras

Forum Captain
I just read a study that found a significant difference between manual and automatic cuffs, I don't think it was a huge difference but it was "statistically significant". Anyway like others have said we have both, on more routine pt's where pinpoint accuracy in a B/P is not necessary and I'm feeling lazy I'll use the NIBP machine. If I need a pressure to base my treatment or impression on I'll use a manual.

I dunno what we are counting as statistically. Our on board automatics are at least 10 pts higher which can mean the difference between interventions in some cases.

EMS49393

Forum Captain
NIBP stands for "non-invasive blood pressure." Manual and automatic blood pressure cuffs are both NIBP methods.

I use both. I get my own pressures, not that I don't trust my EMT's but I'm a little OCD in my assessment. After a manual I'll set the auto cuff but if it gives me an off the wall reading I'll recheck it manually. I generally have no difficulty hearing even in the back of a running ambulance.

hocomedic

Forum Crew Member
When im on scene, like in someones house we generally dont take our lifpak 12 unless its a cardiac call. I get a manual bp first, then proced with the call then i get the NIBP in the ambulance once we get in and once when we reach the ER.

FreezerStL

Forum Crew Member
I'm in the boat with everyone else....

I've seen the Lifepak 15s we use be off by a fair margin. I will always get a manual first, then set up the auto as I'm hooking up the pulse Ox and ECG and compare the results when I'm finished.

A manual BP will only take a minute. You'll also get valuable information your monitor will not show: Is the frequency regular? Is the pulse pressure weak? .... ^_^

NepoZnati

Forum Crew Member
I dunno what we are counting as statistically. Our on board automatics are at least 10 pts higher which can mean the difference between interventions in some cases.
Yesterday my Pt had 212 systolic (measuring with auto BP cuffs) but manually (according to my partner) he had 174... That much difference?! When I question MD about why they use auto BP cuffs if/when are so unreliable and they always use manually check, she gave me no real answer except "convenience" and "speed".

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief

We have Zoll Ms with Auto NIBP, but nobody uses them. They read so much different than manuals do. Besides, like Matt said, with practice, a manual can be very quick. I have actually raced the machine and I consistently can beat it and still get an accurate B/P.

TonyB

Forum Probie
all on prefrence

i personally like doing it manual. you have complications with electronic ones cause your always bouncing everywhere and vibrations. but of course its up to agency and what you like.

Trip

Forum Probie

My fire/rescue company is still old school and does it manually. The company I work for does both and company policy is the first one be manual. I prefer to get the first one and third one manually as it can back up the accuracy of the NIBP on our monitors.

emt_irl

Forum Captain
theres no hardline rule with my company but i prefare taking it manually myself so i dont loose the skill.