BP Cuffs?

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
When im on scene, like in someones house we generally dont take our lifpak 12 unless its a cardiac call. I get a manual bp first, then proced with the call then i get the NIBP in the ambulance once we get in and once when we reach the ER.

Howard County's policy is the first is always manual.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Manual has its place to build and retain the skill of getting a pressure however if the patient is really sick or you have a lot of things to do then I will go with the NIBP.

Charmeck

Forum Crew Member
We only take manuals, though our monitors have the funtionality of an automated one. I like to hear my BP if I'm basing a treatment off of it.

nakenyon

Forum Crew Member
Running on a vollie BLS truck, We exclusively carry normal old-fashioned BP cuffs as we don't have a cardiac monitor with the built in NIBP cuff. However, when we rendezvous with ALS, I usually try to have at least one or two manual pressures before we rendezvous and attach the NIBP cuff.

Medic41Mike

Forum Ride Along
Howard County's policy is the first is always manual.

It is a County Policy that all BP's must be obtained manually for San Joaquin County as well. This includes ALS, BLS as well as any Inter-facility transfer.

Being on a Medic Unit for the past 5 years, I have seen countless mis-readings by the NIBP by +or- at least 10 points. + or - 10 points can make a huge difference in examing a Pt for orthostatics as well as other procedures. In the end, we try to stay away from the NIBP when examing Pt Vitals.

What's also sad is, I was a FTO (Field Training Officer) and I couldn't believe how many new hires could not conduct a Manual Blood Pressure. When I asked why, many stated, "Oh, we just used the Automatic One" in our EMT class. Makes me think what the heck kind of school did you go to???

Last edited by a moderator:

VirginiaEMT

Forum Lieutenant
I instructed a preceptor to always get a manual B.P. and pulse first. It teaches them to feel for irregularities in the pulse, and they can also hear some abnormal rythyms through ausculating the B.P.

Cohn

Forum Lieutenant
My dept has a NIBP and Manuals.

I like to get my first with a NIBP just so I can be doing other things when it is thinking and if I have time to do a manual I do so I can stay fresh with it.

NIBP is nice to have it cuts down on the time it takes to get initial vitals.

I have also come to learn that when the NIBP does not read the first time that the second time it tries and reads and gets a number it is usually wrong, in that case I just do manual.

Last edited by a moderator:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Unless it's a crazy scene I'll get the first one manually and then see what the monitor gives me. If it's close (+/- up to 5 points) I'll go with it for the call

clibb

Forum Captain
I will take a manual on scene, then one or two during transport depending on ETA.
If I can't get a BP, then I'll use the NIBP.

emtchick171

Forum Lieutenant
For my initial B/P I ALWAYS take it manually, just more accurate than an electronic/automated. However, after I take my manual, I place the automated cuff on (from the heart monitor)...and keep a constant check on their B/P throughout transport.