Box truck seats

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
In all of the box trucks I’ve been in, the seats don’t go up and down so I have to sit on a pillow or blankets when I drive. Is this common?

OP
OP
Fezman92

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
Why?

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Ambulances have short lives compared to most vehicles. They're usually built on the cheaper platforms with fewer features so they are cheaper.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Ambulances have short lives compared to most vehicles. They're usually built on the cheaper platforms with fewer features so they are cheaper.
Also most ambulances don't have air ride suspension or air brakes, so they don't have a ready supply of air to use for that purpose like commercial trucks do.

OP
OP
Fezman92

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
All of the transits (vans basically) have seats that go up and down.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
All of the transits (vans basically) have seats that go up and down.
The difference between consumer based and business based clientele. Consumers want comfort, businesses want lower costs.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Also most ambulances don't have air ride suspension or air brakes, so they don't have a ready supply of air to use for that purpose like commercial trucks do.
You're thinking of air ride seats. I think the OP is talking about adjustable seats, much like you might find in a personal vehicle.

OP
OP
Fezman92

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
You're thinking of air ride seats. I think the OP is talking about adjustable seats, much like you might find in a personal vehicle.
Yeah I’m talking about the adjustable seats.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Most all the ambulances I've spent any significant amount of time in the seats were the Ford Econovan (usually E350) (and usually fairly older vehicles at that). I remember the seats adjusting back and forth (closer or further away from the wheel) and leaning forward or back. But I don't recall any of them ever really having an up or down adjustment. I think that was just part of the massed produced, intended to be cheap for fleet vehicles where comfort was a distant secondary concern to cost, manufacturing.

The one time I had a Type 1 ambulance (Dodge Ram) I think it had stock seat adjustments, but those were new enough to include up/down as well. Of course that was an actual City FD and we were based in the fire stations so we weren't sitting in the cab all day like the private ambulance companies with street corner posting who tended to buy the cheaper, fewer adjustments available, vehicles...

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

Yeah I’m talking about the adjustable seats.
Which is why I went on to point out the difference between consumer grade and business grade clientele. Fleet vehicles like box trucks are geared towards business clients. Businesses care about cutting down on costs.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Which is why I went on to point out the difference between consumer grade and business grade clientele. Fleet vehicles like box trucks are geared towards business clients. Businesses care about cutting down on costs.
The transit van is 100% designed for fleets...