Book on lab values

LuvGlock

Forum Crew Member
Can anyone recommend a good book on lab values?

I've been around long enough to know that H&H means something about blood, a white count of 25(000) is bad, and GFR has something to do with kidneys.

I'd like to know more though. I'm like Johnny 5. "Need input!"

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I wouldn't be surprised if such a book exists, but it would probably be very dictionary-like and meant to be a quick reference. A lot of those values you learn in conjunction with a skill or subject e.g. you'd probably learn H&H and WBC in a phlebotomy class, GFR when you learn about the physiology of the kidneys and shock (you probably forgot since graduating medic school).

When I did venipunctures, my class used a CMA textbook for those values. It contained a lot of other information that aren't lab values e.g. differenet medical instruments and how to use an autoclave, but maybe that would be a start for you? At least you'd be able to tell the difference between a Kelly forcep and Mosquito forcep. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
The big problem with lab testing is without the physio and clinical background that those are normally covered with, a lot of tests aren't that helpful. For example, if you're looking at an elevated WBC count, is there a left shift also present?

tacitblue

Forum Crew Member
The Bledsoe texts "Paramedic Care: Principles and Practice" covers H&H, lytes, WBCs, BUN and creatinine, cardiac markers, ABGs, and some urine studies. There is sufficient coverage to allow a decent understanding and I have found that it helps to be able to have some basic lab value interpretation skills when you pick up train wrecks from a SNF and they have already pulled some labs. Last week I have a guy from a nursing facility that was altered and bone dry (mucous membranes were cracked and dry, skin was as well), hypotensive, and oliguric. His output was around 300 mL for the day. They had pulled labs and his BUN was 152 and creatinine was 4.

IrightI

Forum Crew Member
Can anyone recommend a good book on lab values?

I've been around long enough to know that H&H means something about blood, a white count of 25(000) is bad, and GFR has something to do with kidneys.

I'd like to know more though. I'm like Johnny 5. "Need input!"

If you have an Iphone, they have an app for that. Very Handy might I add, as we draw the rainbow for any pt getting a line. Its good to have an idea of what test they might be running and try an beat the doc on the lab orders, haha.

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
As the other wise folks above stated, physiology is important and isn't covered well in most lab reference books.

I've memorized a few specifically for my SNF (and sometimes dialysis) patients, since they often have had labs drawn.

The basic paramedic texts touch on the main ones. The Brady anatomy and physiology book is enough for the paramedic level, BUT I personally think you should get a more detail physiology book to back it up, so when they give a vague or incomplete description of something you can delve into the subject a little more.

I also use the iphone "pocket lab values" app-- which is great. You can double check your lab range and it will give you some differentials to consider for your high and low values.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Professional Merck Manual or most medical dictionaries, look in the appendices.

SanDiego, my kitten likes your avatar's little fly.
image.php

Trezmaniandevil

Forum Probie
Try this one

Basic Skills in Interpreting Laboratory Data, 4th Edition by Mary Lee PharmD BCPS FCCP

I found it pretty helpful as a reminder

TheGodfather

Forum Lieutenant
IMO, I wouldn't waste time buying a book strictly covering lab values, as "normal" values differ from lab to lab... Take some time, learn the principles of basic panels (IE; ABG, CBC, lytes, metabolic, coagulation) and look up the ballpark ranges on the internet just for a good estimate.

+1 for that iphone app... i use it when i cross a lab value that I dont remember

JPINFV

Gadfly
Well, standard lab values are standard. However, in general the reference range is generally provided with lab results anyways. The problem isn't knowing what standard lab values are, but interpreting them. Is that low H&H a relative or absolute anemia?