BLS Experience Prior to ALS Education

Should experience as an EMT be required prior to beginning Paramedic education?

• No

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Yes - 0-1 Year

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Yes - 1-2 Years

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Yes - 2 Years or More

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

cannonball88

Forum Crew Member
Good Afternoon, All

This is something that's been discussed indirectly in other threads, but lacks an (intelligent) discussion of its own.

The question: Is it good practice for providers to proceed to Paramedic-Level education immediately upon becoming an EMT?

If so, why? If not, why, and how much experience should be necessary? Should there be exceptions for current healthcare providers (RN, CNA, etc.)

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I think there's been plenty of intelligent and not so intelligent discussion about this. In fact, I'd go as far as to say we've beaten this dead horse into the ground several times over.

You'll never get a real answer. It's all based on opinion.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Yes, no, maybe so. It’s all personal opinion.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
Because what you need to be successful as a paramedic cannot be taught in an EMT or a paramedic class: experience and self confidence.

Experience - when you have a 500 pound patient in the back bedroom/bathroom on the top floor of a multistory building who's naked (they're always naked) who is hell bent on dying on you in the middle of a thunder storm 30 miles from the hospital and all you have is one single solitary partner and you have limited protocols and limited equipment (if it all works) and you have to keep them alive all the way to the hospital. Keeping them alive requires ability to think outside the box and still follow your protocols.

Self confidence - Keeping said patient alive to the ER despite family in your way complaining and griping with cell phones out recording you and law enforcement not there yet and able to keep yourself calm cool and collected requires self confidence when it's you and you alone making the life and death decisions that aren't easy or fun. See just like in the Old Testament when they list who begat who from Adam all the way down to Abraham, Moses, Joshua, David, to Jesus. Confidence begets confidence. And confidence is contagious. And to keep you humble even the lack of self confidence is also just as contagious.

Schools can't teach this. Only the streets and ditches teach this. Which is why you at least 2 years in a VERY BUSY SYSTEM.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I think people should do six months as an EMT to determine if they like the job or not.

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
I think people should do six months as an EMT to determine if they like the job or not.

I don't think time as an EMT would have made me a better medic, but it definitely would have shown me some truths about the healthcare system.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
The question: Is it good practice for providers to proceed to Paramedic-Level education immediately upon becoming an EMT?

Let's put it this way....it'd be a different story if paramedicine was a four-year (or even two-year) degree program. But considering that many prospective ALS providers are young (<<25) and don't have much post-high school education, time is a good thing to just mature as a person, let alone as an EMS provider.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Exactly, but I reckon it's better to waste a thousand bucks than 6-8k.

RESCUERANDYEMS

Forum Crew Member
Very True. Luckily EMT school is only $1000-$1200. Schooling doesn't really prepare you for the real world. To me, you wont really know if you like it until your actually doing it in the field. I'm not an EMT yet though so I cant really say this or that because i'm not absolutely sure. I'm going to be an EMT for a little to learn more about Paramedicine because if i'm in the field watching my paramedic partner all the time I will start to remember things and maybe get ahead or a little push start when I go into Paramedic class.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
There is something to be said for being confident in the non-clinical part of being a paramedic prior to being a paramedic. Not essential, but might make your life easier and a good internship might get you where you need to be anyhow.