Blow-By O2 or Recovery Position?

SERPENTINE

Forum Ride Along
Say you have a patient who just had a seizure. Would you give blow-by oxygen first or place the patient into a recovery position?
Thanks,

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
We're not here to do your homework.

What do you think? What are the important questions to ask before answering this?

OP
OP
S

SERPENTINE

Forum Ride Along
Besides ABCs, I would say placing the patient into a recovery position because there may be vomitus in the airway. What good would blow-by oxygen do of the airway isn't patent?

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Consider C-Spine immobilization

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I'd place the patient's wallet between their teeth.

This isn't the dark ages! We have the jaw spreader :p
Airway6_Oral-screw-in-use-22.jpg

RedAirplane

Forum Asst. Chief
What? In 1985 they were giving tobacco smoke through the rectum for drowning?

Jdog

Forum Crew Member
Besides ABCs, I would say placing the patient into a recovery position because there may be vomitus in the airway. What good would blow-by oxygen do of the airway isn't patent?

This is what I would do. Disclaimer: I am still a student.

Some people are hating on you for posting homework questions. The reason for this is that part of EMS is to make these decisions on your own using your own intuitive thinking. Your last sentence answers your question. What good would blow-by O2 do if the patient's airway is full of vomitus. Remember your ABCs. Number one is Airway. I would hold the patient in the recovery position until they've stopped seizing (and like some people have mentioned, use what you have to try to prevent the patient from biting off their tongue), and clear the airway of vomitus by suctioning if necessary. Then go through your assessments (breathing, circulation, vitals, etc.) and apply treatment.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
This is what I would do. Disclaimer: I am still a student.

...What good would blow-by O2 do if the patient's airway is full of vomitus. Remember your ABCs. Number one is Airway. I would hold the patient in the recovery position until they've stopped seizing (and like some people have mentioned, use what you have to try to prevent the patient from biting off their tongue), and clear the airway of vomitus by suctioning if necessary...

Do not place anything in the seizing patient's mouth.

That was sarcasm from the previous posters and was last routine medical practice roughly when Reagan was president...

Also, have you ever seen an actively seizing patient? Holding them in a recovery position during the seizure is often not at all feasible or advisable. Suctioning, if necessary, can be performed after the seizure ends. Let them lie there and seize until it stops. Most seizures self terminate in <2 minutes.

Lastly, blow by O2 will have no effect on stopping a seizure. Either call someone who has benzos available or transport.

Jdog

Forum Crew Member

Do not place anything in the seizing patient's mouth.

That was sarcasm from the previous posters and was last routine medical practice roughly when Reagan was president...

Also, have you ever seen an actively seizing patient? Holding them in a recovery position during the seizure is often not at all feasible or advisable. Suctioning, if necessary, can be performed after the seizure ends. Let them lie there and seize until it stops. Most seizures self terminate in <2 minutes.

Lastly, blow by O2 will have no effect on stopping a seizure. Either call someone who has benzos available or transport.

Thank you! This is good info. I have absolutely no experience and was just going by what I assumed was logical. I will edit my post. The main point I wanted to say was the first part about using your brain to answer these questions. Now I know too. Thanks!

Edit: Looks like I can't edit my original post, but thanks again.

Last edited: