Best way to endure terrible smells?

GoldcrossEMTbasic

Forum Lieutenant
I know that sometimes this is a squeamish subject to talk about. But we all do it. Having to drop a deuce. Either in between calls. Or at home. But patients when they have to defecate on the rig or on scene, some of the partners I have been with will make nasty looks on their face when the smell of feces is in the patient compartment. We all have smelly feces. And we have to get used to it. Especially GI bleeds they are rough but that is our job requirements to deal with. To avoid that look on our faces when we get on scene is either wear a surgical mask and spray some odor eliminator in the mask and or put on a N-95 to attempt to not smell the stench or use carmex or vicks and put some under our nostrils to counteract the smell and of course turn on the fan in the ambulance to ventilate the air. :rofl:

"When you got to go, You got to go!":rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
I had a patient a few months ago who literally called because they were having a "really horrible smelling ****". One of those calls where you feel like simply saying, "Me too" and walking right back out. :rolleyes:

GoldcrossEMTbasic

Forum Lieutenant
:rofl:Wow amazing of what we go through! on a daily basis. Some people think that the medical field is all about dealing with :censored::censored::censored::censored:, I am beginning to believe that!

GoldcrossEMTbasic

Forum Lieutenant
:rofl:Wow amazing of what we go through! on a daily basis. Some people think that the medical field is all about dealing with BMs, I am beginning to believe that! Thank god for PPE, I don on my PPE every time I hear a GI bleed call.. But if you don't like to wear the PPE, Better bring an extra change of uniforms. Because you will need it. Guaranteed!:rofl:

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Did you just quote yourself?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Bad smells are an occasional part of the job. Certainly no need to get excited about them, I suspect your first encounter will temper your enthusiasm.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I'm confused as to where all these runs you've been on came from...I thought you just finished school and were looking for a job?

GoldcrossEMTbasic

Forum Lieutenant
These runs came from my ride alongs in EMT-B class. Small town company. I did 10-20 ride alongs with this agency. had about 8 or 9 PT contacts. I hope don't confuse anybody anymore.:cool:

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
He's basically a veteran, Robby. Leave him alone. :cool:

GoldcrossEMTbasic

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks STX medic:cool: I am not adding false runs on this site, these are true runs that I have been on during my training and they are actual runs I have been involved on. :rolleyes:

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Yes Gold, we can tell that these are all real runs and your experience has made you quite knowledgable already.

hitman196

Forum Probie
This is a great post. I was looking for something like this because I had a bad patient a couple weeks ago. Some guys at my department recommended vick's which seems to be a common vote here.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
"Air freshener" usually masks odors with powerful odor-releasing chemicals you choose the "flavor" of.

Manufacturers do not test these for safety as an inhalant. I have heard allergists say not to use particular products because they see reactions amongst their asthmatic patients.

Most have a propellant of some sort (CO2, isopropane, etc) which is not good to inhale, plus a volatile aromatic and usually some sort of solvent (alcohol usually) so it can be uniformly dispensed once shaken up*. Nothing good. Maybe chew a strong flavored gum while wearing a mask?

* Speaking of solvents and shaking to assure even dispensing, I've seen the institutional OC spray used without being adequately shaken (really ought to be shaken when you pick it up for inspection at start of each shift); the propellant and solvent (usually alcohol, and glycerine is often used as well as a dispersant) would spew out and the subject would start screaming and hit the ground…without that tangy OC smell or any visible reddening etc. Can make the floor slippery though.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere