Best Pants and Boots?

Roy51

Forum Probie
Pants & Boots

Been awhile since I logged on.

Pants: Cannot say enough about the TruSpec navy blue ripstop 24/7 pants. The wear and tear is almost imperceptible... I have worn out polo after polo without having to replace these pants. Even the invisible slot hip pockets take a Surefire on one side and Benchmade folder on the other: no fishing for either in a pinch. Plenty otherwise room for a Rite in the Rain, shears, credential case, wallet, etc.

Boots- I echo what others say about quality. I hear a lot of good about Haix, but I choose Danner simply because it's the same perfect fit as what I wear on the trail, but in a uniform boot. Extremely durable, take a great shine, and have replaceable OEM zippers. Whatcha gonna do when those permanent side zippers break on the cheap boots?

JDEMT535

Forum Ride Along
I would recommend 5.11 pants 100%. If you live in an area where its predominately warm, look into the taclites. They have the same amount of pocket space and cargo area, but are a lot thinner so you won't heat up as badly. The regular 5.11 are thicker but work amazingly never had a problem with them.

Boots I can honestly say any 5.11 boot is great. I enjoy the high ankle boots personally so my ankles won't roll when stair chairing a 300 lb pt down 7 flights of stairs...it can get tough.

I sound like a 5.11 rep but they really work!

IslandTime

Forum Crew Member
I'll add another vote for the 5.11 pants. I have a pair of the taclites which I really love. Unfortunately I'm going to have to replace them as I seem to have ingrown them. (ingrown as in the opposite of outgrown) I still haven't figured out a use for the strap in the back. Maybe I'm just not creative enough.

I'll add another vote for the 5.11 pants. I have a pair of the taclites which I really love. Unfortunately I'm going to have to replace them as I seem to have ingrown them. (ingrown as in the opposite of outgrown) I still haven't figured out a use for the strap in the back. Maybe I'm just not creative enough.

The strap in the back is a radio strap that allows a portable radio to be hung from it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Among other things I have seen it used for clipping carabiners to, holding a maglite in place, clipping a radio strap keeper to, and some other stuff that escapes me.

Originally their pants were made for rock climbing (hence the name), and that's where the idea originally came from as there are similar loops on harnesses.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Among other things I have seen it used for clipping carabiners to, holding a maglite in place, clipping a radio strap keeper to, and some other stuff that escapes me.

Originally their pants were made for rock climbing (hence the name), and that's where the idea originally came from as there are similar loops on harnesses.

Right. Thus the 5.11 name. (A difficult climbing route grade)

IslandTime

Forum Crew Member
The strap in the back is a radio strap that allows a portable radio to be hung from it.

Yeah, I tried that. It works if I remember to remove the radio before sitting down in the rig. Ouch! That and the radio seems to unclog to easily if it gets jostled. I just clip the radio to the belt instead. Must just be me.

kneedz

Forum Ride Along
Want to offer input on clothing?

Hello, New to the site, former EMT when in the US Coast Guard. I now own a clothing company that offers a product that may be a good solution to the industry. We manufacture a clothing line that has a built in gel kneepad and though we've been in other industries for some time, I would like to manufacture a garment for the EMS field. If anyone has tried a pair of our clothes I would love to know about it, if you have a favorite I would like to know what specifically you like about it. I've read the posts on 5.11 and am familiar with their products (and problems).
We manufacture our garments using the very best American components, and have a ton of other features and benifits that may work perfectly for this industry, but what SPECIFICALLY can we do to make a badass line of clothing for EMS folks?
Any input would help, I hate to come across as spamming, but as a former EMT myself I hope someone out there can help us with this product line. Thanks in advance for the input, I look forward to discussing further.

Kevinf

Forum Captain
I like to see a few features in my pants:

At least one key loop off of the lateral front side belt loops
Crouch gusset
Stretch/Flex expanding waistband
An abundance of pockets: one bellowed cargo with tuckable flap (folds into pocket), one regular cargo with at least two sub pockets for (smart)phone/wallet/knife/shears/whatever
Same pants offered with a thermal lining (fleece/flannel) for cold weather
Tool loops for radio/stethoscope clip/etc

I had a pair of pants long ago that had the hip and backside pockets sewn OUTSIDE of the pants, rather than as a flap that tucks through inside as most traditional pockets do. They were really nice, things couldn't get twisted around inside, the pocket sleeves don't bunch up when putting on pants or moving around and there was more room in the thigh. Really nice, can't find any pants with that anymore. Sad times.

kneedz

Forum Ride Along
I like to see a few features in my pants:

At least one key loop off of the lateral front side belt loops
Crouch gusset
Stretch/Flex expanding waistband
An abundance of pockets: one bellowed cargo with tuckable flap (folds into pocket), one regular cargo with at least two sub pockets for (smart)phone/wallet/knife/shears/whatever
Same pants offered with a thermal lining (fleece/flannel) for cold weather
Tool loops for radio/stethoscope clip/etc

I had a pair of pants long ago that had the hip and backside pockets sewn OUTSIDE of the pants, rather than as a flap that tucks through inside as most traditional pockets do. They were really nice, things couldn't get twisted around inside, the pocket sleeves don't bunch up when putting on pants or moving around and there was more room in the thigh. Really nice, can't find any pants with that anymore. Sad times.

Interesting comments. Some things I think we've already incorporated:
Crotch gusset, we've been making kneeling pants for about 7 years for food industry (think Kellogg, Frito Lay). We learned early on to incorporate a gusset so nothing rips.
All of our cargo pockets are sewn on the outside and we fold over the bottom fabric so that sharp tools don't poke through the seams.
We have a pretty good pocket configuration on the cargo's right now. Even some with flaps that Velcro down for multi tool or shears.

Some things I will take note of: stretch waist, we are looking to do this on a future line for women, but interesting to see if the fellas want it as well.

Key Loop: can you expand on this? What exactly is this for (please don't say keys <_<) but specifically what is it made of, do belt loops not work?

Thermal lining we may do this on some of the carpenter lines we do (think Carhartt), would you think its beneficial on standard uniform/ cargo models?

Can you elaborate on the tool loop stuff? What material, location, applications etc...

Any products that you know of that have any of these features? Have you checked out our line? kneedz . com

Our specialty (and patents) are based on the gel kneepad being in there full time, but we've learned to ask questions of the industries to find out about the specific features they need for their industry so here we are.

Here's another quick question, what about FR (flame resistant) fabrics? Our biggest seller right now is in that product line, though mostly for those exposed to arc or flash fire incidents (electricians, wind techs, utilities, oil and gas). Is there a big exposure to that hazard (flaming cars, meth houses, attacked by lighters) in this field? Making a push for the boys in FD to go FR, but not sure if anyone needs it yet in straight EMS work, thoughts?

Anyone else? Thanks for the info.

Kevinf

Forum Captain
I can't say I've seen the need for fire resistant pants, save for the heavy smokers who drop cigarettes on themselves. I'm in the northeastern states area so I'd definitely like an EMT pant with thermal lining for when we are working 3AM and it's 10 degrees and windy. They also help pad out bumps and impacts day to day in cooler weather and can prevent snow and the like from seeping all the way through right away.

I've attached a photo of my pants with a key loop. I use it to hold my retractable badge holder for CPR/ID/EMT/door FOB cards. It's basically just a belt loop extended down and sewn in the middle. That little loops makes passing my door FOBs off to my partner much easier if needed. The tool loop is also visible... just a thick and wide fabric band that clips can slide over and grip to. Also shown are the tuckable flaps for the cargo with the two rider pockets that I use for various sundries.

Attachments

• IMG_0056.JPG
    IMG_0056.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 272

kneedz

Forum Ride Along
Ah Ha

I see the key holder now, I've seen those before, just wasn't sure who they were for. Makes sense. Who makes those pants?
I like the fold in flaps too, how does that benifit in your line of work?
Sorry if I ask stupid questions, just trying to get as much information as possible. Thanks for the input.