Best cold weather gloves?

sneauxpod

Forum Lieutenant
Hey everyone, just about to start my first week as a medic (the anticipation has been killing me!) and sadly, its winter time in Michigan. So anyone from the area knows how cold and crappy Michigan winters are and im just wondering if anyone knows of any gloves that keep my hands somewhat warm and let me slip on my rubber gloves when im on scene. Ive noticed a lot of people wear tac gloves with the hard plastic, but they say their gloves tear a lot more because of it so im trying to avoid them, any ideas are great!

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
You want gloves that will let you put latex gloves on over them? I'm not quite understanding.

OP
OP
S

sneauxpod

Forum Lieutenant
Basically. My hands get cold constantly so instead of having a bulky pair of winter gloves, im trying to find something that I can leave on and put latex over.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
My best advice? Deal with it. If you are doing anything that requires latex gloves, then the winter gloves will affect your ability to perform interventions and assess the patient. If you aren't doing something that having the winter gloves on will affect, than you don't need to put the latex gloves on over them.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Yea, what Aidey, said. It's just part
of the job. I love in northern Washington State and my hands get a little cold every winter. But the latex gloves themselves hinder your dexterity enough without having another pair of gloves on.

Besides, I kind of like the feeling of my hands freezing, the warning then up around a warm cup of coffee at the ER. But maybe I'm weird.

OP
OP
S

sneauxpod

Forum Lieutenant
Yeah i guess youre right, i dont think we will have to brutal of a winter this year anyways. I dont think I can say the same for the coastal states though :sad:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Move to a place where the temps don't get that cold (IE California beaches) haha

Achilles

Forum Moron
Yeah i guess youre right, i dont think we will have to brutal of a winter this year anyways. I dont think I can say the same for the coastal states though :sad:

Detroit ehh? Northern burbs? Southern? Western?
You could put winter gloves over your latex gloves :p

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I have a pair of leather gloves for when it is really cold and a pair of hatch gloves for when it is not too cold. I have never and doubt I ever will put nitrile gloves over my regular gloves. If my gloves are ruined on a scene they are replaced by the company. I only wear nitrile gloves if there is a risk of something....not every pt contact.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Unlike some of the other folks on here who are aparently some hard core mofos who's hands never get so numb they drop stuff I had a similar problem. Buy a pair of warm gloves one size up and put those over your latex gloves. That way you can whip the warm gloves off but still have bsi at all times. Don't spend a lot on the gloves though because you might have to toss em. You can buy a 12 pack of black cotton gloves that will work fairly well at homedepot/lowes for about 15 bucks.

I find standing around with my hands going numb tends to adversely impact my ability to assess a patient. I'd rather people think I was a wimp than be uncomfortable :)

OP
OP
S

sneauxpod

Forum Lieutenant
Detroit ehh? Northern burbs? Southern? Western?
You could put winter gloves over your latex gloves :p

Western, just off ford and oakman. im about to move to westland though. little bit nicer of an area haha.

Unlike some of the other folks on here who are aparently some hard core mofos who's hands never get so numb they drop stuff I had a similar problem. Buy a pair of warm gloves one size up and put those over your latex gloves. That way you can whip the warm gloves off but still have bsi at all times. Don't spend a lot on the gloves though because you might have to toss em. You can buy a 12 pack of black cotton gloves that will work fairly well at homedepot/lowes for about 15 bucks.

I find standing around with my hands going numb tends to adversely impact my ability to assess a patient. I'd rather people think I was a wimp than be uncomfortable :)

Thats actually a pretty good idea. i was thinking maybe a pair of like underarmor gloves. from what ive seen theyre really flexible and thin. Ill deff try cheap-os first though :D

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston

Western, just off ford and oakman. im about to move to westland though. little bit nicer of an area haha.

Thats actually a pretty good idea. i was thinking maybe a pair of like underarmor gloves. from what ive seen theyre really flexible and thin. Ill deff try cheap-os first though :D

Go with cheapos. I guarantee at some point you'll take them off set them on the ground during a chaotic moment and remember where they are halfway to the hospital. Plus the nicer ones don't usually go through the wash very well and you're gonna want to wash the. I wouldn't worry about how thin they are. Like Aidey said if you're going to want to take them off once you get to the patient anyway. I keep a pair of nitrile coated cotton gloves in my pocket. I put them on if I have to get a homeless person up off the ground and I'm worried about my regular gloves ripping. They fit over my bsi easily. I've also worn them a few times for MVAs where you have to climb in a car with broken glass on the seat. They aren't Kevlar coated bullet stopping ceramic dragon armor but they provide a lot more protection than just the nitrile gloves. The ones I have are just kind of an open weave on the back so they are cool in the summer time but they do have them with a closed weave material. I have a pair of those but here in Houston they only get worn a few times a year. Fairly warm though.

Another trick is to buy some of those little self warming packs and keep one in each jacket pocket. Especially nice when your standing around on scene waiting for PD/Fire to do their thing.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I have a pair of fleece gloves that I keep in my jacket pocket for those "standing around" moments, like structure standbys.

If I'm working outside and need gloves, I'm usually too busy to think about cold hands. :)

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I have a pair of fleece gloves that I keep in my jacket pocket for those "standing around" moments, like structure standbys.

If I'm working outside and need gloves, I'm usually too busy to think about cold hands. :)

That's one of the advantages to being dual function - I'll just use my structure gear when it gets that cold.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I have a pair of leather gloves for when it is really cold and a pair of hatch gloves for when it is not too cold. I have never and doubt I ever will put nitrile gloves over my regular gloves. If my gloves are ruined on a scene they are replaced by the company. I only wear nitrile gloves if there is a risk of something....not every pt contact.
BSI BSI BSI!!!!!:rofl:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I figure if it's cold enough for my hands to be really cold to the point of not being functional that I probably should have the patient in the ambulance as they are also probably quite cold.

If it's something like an MVC or psych call where I have to wait outside until getting access to the patient, I'll put on a pair of gloves to stay warm until patient contact actually happens.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I cannot conceive of cold weather gloves to wear then safely donn exam gloves over with any sort of dexterity. Keep your hands well-lubricated and warm until you have to glove up. And remember, if it's cold on your hands, how cold is it on the pt?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
i figure if it's cold enough for my hands to be really cold to the point of not being functional that i probably should have the patient in the ambulance as they are also probably quite cold.

if it's something like an mvc or psych call where i have to wait outside until getting access to the patient, i'll put on a pair of gloves to stay warm until patient contact actually happens.

bingo!!!!