Best boots for the money

Pneumothorax

Forum Lieutenant
What's really funny is that the boots I currently own, I paid $25 for and they're not actually medic boots. They're black leather jungle boots I got off a military surplus site. I actually love them but I'm going to have to sink money into a new pair because they're the classic tie-ups and they're a size or so too big (I'm new to figuring out my size in men's boots, okay?). Other than that, I'd keep them forever. Comfortable and breathe well and I've never had a problem thusfar with them... Other than the haviing to double sock to get them to fit(ish) but you know...

That being said I'm currently torn between the A.T.A.C. boots for women from 5.11 (side zip), and the Airpower X1s from Haix (front zip). Cool thing about the Haix ones is I can get them for $140 because Haix has a "factory seconds" section of their website. Usable but not "perfect" (re: cosmetic flaws) boots for sometimes 60% off... yes please.

I've got the ATAC 8" women's .. Fit like a dream I got em for $115~ I believe off 5.11 website

ITBITB13

Forum Lieutenant
What's really funny is that the boots I currently own, I paid $25 for and they're not actually medic boots. They're black leather jungle boots I got off a military surplus site. I actually love them but I'm going to have to sink money into a new pair because they're the classic tie-ups and they're a size or so too big (I'm new to figuring out my size in men's boots, okay?). Other than that, I'd keep them forever. Comfortable and breathe well and I've never had a problem thusfar with them... Other than the haviing to double sock to get them to fit(ish) but you know...

That being said I'm currently torn between the A.T.A.C. boots for women from 5.11 (side zip), and the Airpower X1s from Haix (front zip). Cool thing about the Haix ones is I can get them for $140 because Haix has a "factory seconds" section of their website. Usable but not "perfect" (re: cosmetic flaws) boots for sometimes 60% off... yes please.

Hahaha, I think we have the same boots! Aren't they great? But it seems like everyday I that I hear stories about coworkers getting in accidents, and how their steel toes saved the day. How do you feel about having steel toed boots?

sirengirl

Forum Lieutenant
I've got the ATAC 8" women's .. Fit like a dream I got em for $115~ I believe off 5.11 website

Really? You must have got them a while ago cause 5.11's site has them at I think $109 right now... Could be wrong though, I've been looking at so many boots lately... My one and only gripe with these is that they're not bloodbourne pathogen resistant, and I'm unsure on how important that is. The Haix, for an extra $20ish, are, so hence my toss-up. Also, I've been told by all my instructors that the side-zips get annoying because they can tear up your pants and catch on each other if you're squeezing somewhere tight. (Their words, not mine) so, I dunno yet...

edit: and I believe Amazon has them for $99 with free shipping :D

Hahaha, I think we have the same boots! Aren't they great? But it seems like everyday I that I hear stories about coworkers getting in accidents, and how their steel toes saved the day. How do you feel about having steel toed boots?

I actually don't have steel toe.... Shhhh. :unsure: I will definately get it though. I haven't dropped anything yet, let alone something that could crush my foot, but in this business you want to be sure....

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I actually don't have steel toe.... Shhhh. :unsure: I will definately get it though. I haven't dropped anything yet, let alone something that could crush my foot, but in this business you want to be sure....
just a side note on steel toed boots that someone in the construction industry told me: if you don't have steel toed boots and something crushes your toes, you are going to have some broken toes. if you have steel toed boots and something crushes your toes, enough to crush the toe, you are going to lose your toes.

just something to ponder.

BTW, the only steel toed boots I have are used on either the Fire Department or Heavy Rescue. When I'm on the ambulance, I don't wear steal toes.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
just a side note on steel toed boots that someone in the construction industry told me: if you don't have steel toed boots and something crushes your toes, you are going to have some broken toes. if you have steel toed boots and something crushes your toes, enough to crush the toe, you are going to lose your toes.

just something to ponder.

BTW, the only steel toed boots I have are used on either the Fire Department or Heavy Rescue. When I'm on the ambulance, I don't wear steal toes.

Obviously you don't watch Mythbusters. :) They pretty much proved that this myth is false. Any force strong enough to bend and displace the steel toe caps would end up destroying your toes anyway. Past experience has shown the steel (and now composite) toe safety shoes to be of benefit.