Being an emt

EMS Fanatic

Forum Crew Member
Hey guys and gals of emt life what do you think the most important thing to remember being an emt? How long have you been an emt and why did you become an emt?

EMT2015

Forum Captain
Number 1: Patient care.

Number 2: scene safety.

Number 3: A good assessment.

I've been an EMT for almost a year and I love it. I became an EMT because I want to be in public safety and because I like helping people.

EMT2015

Forum Captain
Number 1: Patient care.

Number 2: scene safety.

Number 3: A good assessment.

I've been an EMT for almost a year and I love it. I became an EMT because I want to be in public safety and because I like helping people.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
1. if you always do what's in the best interest of the patient you'll always be okay.

2. Drive like it's your mom in the back of the truck.

3. Don't be a toolbag.

I've been in EMS (on and off) since 1988. I wanted to be Johnny Gage when I was young, now I just enjoy the interaction with people I get as a medic. It truly is the only thing that makes EMS tolerable.

redundantbassist

Nefarious Dude
1.If you think it's stupid, don't do it.

2.There is absolutely no need for anything other than a radio or pager on your belt.

3.Listen to advice given to you by those more experienced. Those who do things "thier own way" are doing things the wrong way

4. Rarely, it may be necessary to break a protocol or rule for the greater good, such as to make a gravely sick patient, or thier family, more comfortable. Use discretion, (rule 1) and accept the concequences of your actions.

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
1.If you think it's stupid, don't do it.

2.There is absolutely no need for anything other than a radio or pager on your belt.

3.Listen to advice given to you by those more experienced. Those who do things "thier own way" are doing things the wrong way

4. Rarely, it may be necessary to break a protocol or rule for the greater good, such as to make a gravely sick patient, or thier family, more comfortable. Use discretion, (rule 1) and accept the concequences of your actions.
I disagree. Start out doing things the right way/textbook way/to the letter of your protocols, but as you gain experience, you may find that you have certain was of doing things that aren't "standard" but still gets the job accomplished. One of the people who I have learned the most from over my career is the oldest and most jaded nurse in the ED. He has a different way of doing just about everything that isn't necessarily approved, and yet, he is very effective and VERY knowledgeable. I, just as anyone else, have to remember to take everything with a grain of salt as some things are right and some are wrong. Also, certain things that he may get away with (due to age and experience) someone else might not.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
I just kinda wing it... And hope for the best, obviously.

redundantbassist

Nefarious Dude
I disagree. Start out doing things the right way/textbook way/to the letter of your protocols, but as you gain experience, you may find that you have certain was of doing things that aren't "standard" but still gets the job accomplished. One of the people who I have learned the most from over my career is the oldest and most jaded nurse in the ED. He has a different way of doing just about everything that isn't necessarily approved, and yet, he is very effective and VERY knowledgeable. I, just as anyone else, have to remember to take everything with a grain of salt as some things are right and some are wrong. Also, certain things that he may get away with (due to age and experience) someone else might not.
I was referring to a new emt with little/ no experience who acts as if they are an experienced provider and does whatever they want in the field. For example, a while back we responded to call for a cyclist who hit a fallen garbage can and fell ind injured his leg. He had some bleeding, but could be easily stopped with a pressure dressing. We had a new EMT (his first day) who kept on insisting that a tourniquet should be applied. He attempted to do something his own way, something that is wrong and would be bad patient care. I guess I should have worded that differently, as it comes off as I am implying that experienced providers who have developed thier own effective patient care are wrong, when I meant to say that inexperienced emts who do whatever are wrong.

OP
OP
E

EMS Fanatic

Forum Crew Member
I love the rush of being an emt. I have been an EMT for four years and I just re certified for another four this April. I love it. I learn from the older providers and I take in account everything they say. I became an emt because I was in a bad car accident and I wanted to help others like like emts helped me.

kirky kirk

RN, EMT-B
1. Safety.
2. Patient assessment.
3. Patient care.

EMT for about a couple of years now. :)

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
1. Going home at the end of every shift (safety).
2. Like DEmedic says driving like its my mom in the back.
3. Pt. care/ assessments
4. Communicating with your partner, pt, public, etc.
5. Don't be the "know it all" guy that no one wants to work with.

Ive been a EMT for 3 years now and have found the above to be (my) top 5 most important things.