Votes: 50 63.3%
  • Issued One (don't wear)

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
EMS=
I don't know what the ideal uniform would be. I do like those of Canada I have seen. Slightly over on the public safety side, but definitely appears to be more for the providers safety.

R/r 911

I would agree the Canucks may have something there when it comes to their uniforms. I saw a photo of Canadian EMS on JEMS.com today and they're not bad!

Ray

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
On the FDNY, learn something new every day, not something I've ever researched just what we were told by our basic instructor regarding scene safety.

Karaya do you have a link to that article, I've never seen a Canadian EMS uniform but would be interested to see what they have that's different.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
The reason I like the Canucks is they use simplicity. No fancy design, even the patches are easy to identify and read. Reflective is used often (which I much rather be seen than be "felt").

R/r 911

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
That seems decent, I wish our uniforms had more reflective on them so we could get away without wearing vests on MVC's in the summer. I don't know the name of the new law requiring the reflective vests or their exact requirements but according to the supervisor at the company I'm riding with their winter jackets qualify so they don't need to wear the vests.

I also like the colors of their uniform, with the white shirts on a 12 hour ride along on a bad day I go through 3 shirts, seems that the black and tan would at least conceal the spilled lunch or small drops so you could make it through a day with less laundry.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
One thing I dislike, although it does gives a somewhat professional appearance is the typical "ambulance driver" uniform. The white shirt and black/blue pants. The two most obvious most dangerous colors to wear and difficult to keep clean. Nothing alike to see blood, motor oil, stretcher marks, upon a persons uniform.

I am all for some differences. I too have observed uniform appearances from EMS forums and JEMS from those in Canada, alike their EMS education system appears to have their act together much more than those of us in the U.S.

R/r 911

TheAfterAffect

Forum Lieutenant
Got 2, One for my Private service thats just a regular EMT one that they gave us, and one Custom Made one with my State Number on it that I use for my Vollie Squad Dress Uniform.

Paladin

Forum Crew Member
Yes I may have a badge that is required for work but for everyone else here is one badge you can't ignore:

m161.jpg

stephenrb81

Forum Lieutenant
One thing I dislike, although it does gives a somewhat professional appearance is the typical "ambulance driver" uniform. The white shirt and black/blue pants. The two most obvious most dangerous colors to wear and difficult to keep clean. Nothing alike to see blood, motor oil, stretcher marks, upon a persons uniform.

Agree with you 300%. I am all for looking professional, but I hate that combination. I went through two of those white shirts a week.

sethking

Forum Ride Along
in orange county cali it is protocol to have one... why i do not know i agree that it is for leo's. i find that we get more information out of a patient if we do not have the badge on.

JPINFV

Gadfly
in orange county cali it is protocol to have one... why i do not know i agree that it is for leo's. i find that we get more information out of a patient if we do not have the badge on.

Link to source? It might be your company's policy to wear one, but at least when I was working down there (2005-2007), it definitely was not county protocol to have a badge.

Sasha

Forum Chief
EMS= Emergency Medical Services. Nothing in that wording states police, fire, welder, etc. We are health care providers... how your community decides how that is delivered it is immaterial, but as a provider of care, you are a health professional first.

I don't know what the ideal uniform would be. I do like those of Canada I have seen. Slightly over on the public safety side, but definitely appears to be more for the providers safety.

White smocks, fireman shirt (with epaulets) NO!.. Polos .. everyone wears them from those that work at Chilli's to the Janitor.

Again, we need something unique to our profession.

R/r 911

Tank tops! :D

sethking

Forum Ride Along
didnt mean the whole county many private ambulance companies that run 911's and some ift's and of course ocfa

JPINFV

Gadfly
Considering that there's one protocol for the entire county, how else am I to interpet the phrase "in orange county cali it is protocol to have one...?"

sethking

Forum Ride Along
Considering that there's one protocol for the entire county, how else am I to interpet the phrase "in orange county cali it is protocol to have one...?"

sorry bout that... i understand where you are comming from lol

and because so many companies are using them it could be understood as protocol even though it is not... if that is a good argument to save myself hahaah

John E

Forum Captain
Just to be clear...

since there seems to be some issues with reading comprehension. What I find amusing is the "I won't wear one..." attitude. If you take a job that requires you to wear a badge, you'll wear one or you won't be working. Seems pretty simple really.

In my case, it's part of the uniform as of now, that might be changing but since I took the position knowing what was required, I do what's required.

Whether badges are needed in EMS wasn't part of the poll or the original post.

And thanks to Ray for pointing out some facts vs some myths once again.

John E.

Mycrofft, keep trying, you'll find a set job...;^)

Seriously, send me a pm with some contact info, lots of what we do is on location and I can't go everywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
since there seems to be some issues with reading comprehension. What I find amusing is the "I won't wear one..." attitude. If you take a job that requires you to wear a badge, you'll wear one or you won't be working. Seems pretty simple really.

Since there is a major shortage of Paramedics in my area, it is easy enough to tell them .. "Sorry, I won't participate because I don't want to look like a cop".... If enough tells them, then the uniform will change.

R/r 911

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
New thread coming right up....

"UNIFORMS, and the medics who love them".;)

mbcwgrl

Forum Probie
I have 2 jobs... One place doesnt allow you to wear badges... The other job if you are full time you wear one... If you are part time you do not. I guess its their way of telling who is who ;)

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
bump to ask new people to throw in their 2 cents