Backing Ambulance into Bay

EMTIA2-7747

Forum Ride Along
Backing Up Rigs

Yup, I know what you are talking about. Having been in charge of an ambulance service for some years, I still cringe when I see some people back up. Practice is the best tool, but here is a little hint to help you out. Before you start backing in, square your bus to the opening (doorway). then back up slowly without over-correcting. That's were most people mess up.

paramedix

Forum Lieutenant
Glad you guys are allowed to backup without a line. If ANY thing happens to the vehicle and we didn't have a line, well thats a lot of explainin' to come.

Some cases you have no choice, but best the big guys dont see you.

tydek07

Forum Captain
Practice Practice Practice.... there really is no other way.

Pretty much every new truck as a back-up camera in place of the rear view mirror (which are pointless anyway, what are you really going to see outa a rear view mirror on a truck?? the patient). They are very nice to have and much safer.

JPINFV

Gadfly
If the spot has lines, use the right mirror (NOT THE LEFT. The left mirror is distorted for a wider view). Line up your wheels next to that line and use SLIGHT adjustments as needed. Do not be afraid of putting the unit into forward and pulling straight out and have another go (don't turn or else you will use what work you already have achieved). Now just concentrate on that line with an occasional check of the other mirrors to make sure everything is still clear.

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
Knowing how to use your mirriors, i used to back in 18 wheelers, and horse trailers so backing in the rig's came easy to me, but its all practice.

keith10247

Forum Lieutenant
So the company I run with has an installation dinner every year where we swear in new officers and give out awards for the previous years events. I knew I was going to be getting one for backing the ambulance mirror in to the bay wall. Low and behold, the old mirror face (The one I damaged) was mounted to a plaque this year; only to be hung in the front entrance of the station. The award was broadened this year. It was no longer called "Keith crashed the ambulance mirror in to the wall" award, but it was called the "Vehicle Renovations" award. Anybody who has caused some sort of damage to a unit which caused it to have to be changed, has their name on this plaque now. Thankfully, the mirror came off of our big unit, there is a lot of room for names and my name is not the only one on there!

JPINFV

Gadfly
(NOT THE LEFT. The left mirror is distorted for a wider view).

Wow, I had a massive brain fart when writing this. Use the left mirror. The right one is the one that is distorted to minimize blind spots. :wacko:

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
i use my mirror and stick my head out the window. but EVOC and practice helped alot to.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Your partner should be a guide backing you up. With of course using your mirrors. Hit the building or damage the unit.. Your written up and get to pay for the damage; second offense your fired, no excuses.

R/r 911

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
Your partner should be a guide backing you up. With of course using your mirrors. Hit the building or damage the unit.. Your written up and get to pay for the damage; second offense your fired, no excuses.

R/r 911

::whistles:: STRICT! Alot of people have accidents?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
::whistles:: STRICT! Alot of people have accidents?

There is NO such thing as an accident! There are mishaps! Such, as in medicine and injuries they are prevented, practice backing through EVO courses. Every EMS I have worked with (a lot) always required a "backer" to assist the driver in backing up the unit. Sure, hardly anyone enforces & uses it, with the understanding if an incidence occurs.. it is enforced.

There is NO reason for someone to damage or even potentially harm people or property when backing into their OWN station! Geez... Can one imagine a "Driver" position of a Engine Company hitting another truck or building?

R/r 911

tomreiner

Forum Ride Along
Has anyone heard of the HawkEye Reverse Assistance system? It seems pretty useful in these types of situations.... I have not used it personally but heard good things about it!

CrazyCanuck

Forum Probie
Practice is the biggest thing. However, even with lines on the floor, lines on a back wall, back-up cams, ground guides...we still get members boinkin our buses into something! Pay attention to your surroundings & concentrate on what your doing!