bachelors degree in paramedic

paramedic911

Forum Probie
hello there is a lot of colleges give bachelors degree in paramedic . my question is does it worth to study four years ? is there any benefit ?

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
You'll never go wrong seeking out higher education.

CBentz12

Forum Crew Member
Might as well go to be a RN if you plan on ging that long. You could make more money and possibly become a Lead RN.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Might as well go to be a RN if you plan on ging that long. You could make more money and possibly become a Lead RN.

Except for the fact that he/she wants to be a paramedic and not a nurse...

I hate how people always say that crap.

Nursing and paramedicine are two different fields, if someone asks questions about paramedic school why the heck would you tell them to be an RN? Especially on an EMS forum.

Makes absolutely no sense.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I started 2 threads recently on the same sort of thing. They can be found in the education section of the forum here http://emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=29243 and here http://emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=29003&highlight=northern
Also another guy posted about it recently here http://emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=28483

I recomend checking those reads and also reading this article http://www.ems1.com/ems-education/a...ree-requirement-for-paramedics-Is-it-just-B-S

As for the nursing comment. Everyone is entitled to there own opinion. In my opinion if we are to be seen as a profession and if we are to advance as one, degree's will help. That is just 1 step of many we need to take.

In terms of nursing, some of them might make more money depending on a few factors. The job however is completely different and is of no interest to me.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
The job however is completely different and is of no interest to me.

Thank you!

Like I said I've never understood the "might as well get your BSN if you're going that far" comment.

Makes no sense.

Sublime

LP, RN
Thank you!

Like I said I've never understood the "might as well get your BSN if you're going that far" comment.

Makes no sense.

It does make sense. In today's ems world, where does a BS degree in EMS get you over an AAS degree? What benefit other than personal knowledge will that degree have for you in terms of career?

To most people it makes more sense to get a useful BS degree (I mean, you are spending a lot of time and money to obtain it). While a BS degree in ems doesn't really get you anywhere, a BS in nursing can open up a whole new world of options for you, if you ever want to venture down that road. So it is definitely a worthwhile suggestion.

And while they may be two different jobs, the knowledge gained from obtaining a degree in either profession will definitely be applicable to BOTH jobs. Its not like you will learn nothing that applies to your job as a paramedic by obtaining a BSN.

Last edited by a moderator:

TyBigz

Forum Probie
The school i go to offers a paramedic science degree. this is what they post under info about it :Bachelor of Science in Paramedic Science
Anna Maria College's new Paramedic Science program prepares students for professional certification and a career in the allied health arena or in the management of Emergency Medical Services (EMS).

Research shows that the demand for paramedics is growing and the education of paramedics is becoming more demanding and professional. Currently, paramedics administer advanced medications, use sophisticated diagnostic technologies, and are accountable for collecting and charting patient data. Anna Maria College recognizes the growing demands being placed on these professionals and is only one of a few colleges to offer a bachelor degree program that prepares students for the challenges paramedics face in the field now and in the future.

The curriculum for the Paramedic Science program builds a solid foundation for students in natural sciences, including anatomy & physiology and chemistry. Laboratory courses in paramedic science, plus clinical and field experiences, build practical skills and experience in real-life situations. Students also learn compassion and respect for others and gain an understanding of public service. Both a medical director and a program director oversee the program.

Students may enter as freshmen and, if they choose, earn the EMT-Basic certification early in the program. They then proceed with the paramedic courses. Transfer students, who have earned an Associate Degree in Paramedic Science from a regionally accredited college can complete a bachelor’s degree that builds on their education and experience. Upper level elective courses allow students to prepare for advanced study in allied health fields, or build expertise in the management of emergency medical services. The paramedic science program joins many other public safety and health-related programs at AMC.

I think it is a good way to enhance what you are doing and improve pt care for new medics. but if you would want to do something more diverse id consider a biology major

Last edited by a moderator:

McGoo

Forum Crew Member
Where I work (west Australia), if you want to be a paramedic, you need a degree. People who work in an ambulance without a degree are either ambulance officers who are completing their degree, or they are volunteers who work only in rural areas.

I think that having such a highly skilled workforce has huge benefits to us, because it allows us a greater range of skills, as well as negotiate a better salary. Unfortunately, this is a moot point if your employer doesn't acknowledge or care about your higher degree of training.

mikie

Forum Lurker
Not usually all 4 years...

hello there is a lot of colleges give bachelors degree in paramedic . my question is does it worth to study four years ? is there any benefit ?

Not all Bachelor's degrees that are related to EMS and involve a paramedic certificate typically (to my knowledge) do not spend all four years 'prepping' for your NREMT exam/paramedic curriculum. That's usually reserved till the 'upper' years.

First two years are typically your A&P, Chemistry, Bio, Humanities (Culture, English, etc), Math as well as other EMS related courses (non-medical typically). The later portions of the degree are focused on the paramedic curriculum. I can only speak for the few programs I am familiar with.

Hope that's of any help.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I recently found out that Union College in lincoln Nebraska offers a 4 year program that starts you at emt and takes you through a PA.

Also Creighton university in Omaha Nebraska appears to offer a 4 year liberal arts degree that is wrapped around a paramedicine course.

Both of these courses sounded very interesting to me.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I started 2 threads recently on the same sort of thing. They can be found in the education section of the forum here http://emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=29243 and here http://emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=29003&highlight=northern
Also another guy posted about it recently here http://emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=28483

I recomend checking those reads and also reading this article http://www.ems1.com/ems-education/a...ree-requirement-for-paramedics-Is-it-just-B-S

As for the nursing comment. Everyone is entitled to there own opinion. In my opinion if we are to be seen as a profession and if we are to advance as one, degree's will help. That is just 1 step of many we need to take.

In terms of nursing, some of them might make more money depending on a few factors. The job however is completely different and is of no interest to me.

The problem is, outside of EMS specifically, a BA in EMS is not useful anywhere else. Many employers that are hiring for EMS admin positions are requiring degrees. They advertise a four year EMS degree, or a four year Healthcare degree. Other degrees are more useful in general, and can be applied to an EMS admin opening. An EMS degree is too limiting unles you're 100% positive that you're going to stay in EMS for the long term, and if you're sure that you can get hired or promoted into one of the relatively rare supervisor positions.

For example, we have PA's, a BSN and a NP teaching for us at my county. They're county employees with full benefits and pension. We have EMS officers giving lectures as well, but the department would not hire a non uniformed civillian with an EMS degree when the above are available.

That's just the way it is.

CBentz12

Forum Crew Member
It was a suggestion I was not telling him and I know what forum this is and Im no child so don't talk down to me like this. If you don't like my responses then ignore me and it makes every bit of sense because their are more opportunities as a RN. As a RN you could move on to become a nurse practitioner especially if he wants to go for his bachelors. If he choses to go the EMS route then cool but at the same time he should think about his future as well. He could always sit down for the Paramedics test as a RN if he does not like being in a hospital/doctors office.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
When I was in college the big thing was becoming a physical therapist. Everybody and their brother decided to become one and guess what, once everyone had a 4 year degree in it the employers started wanting people with a masters. The same thing is occurring in nursing. Now that more and more nurses are going for an RN the LVN's are taking a back seat. I suspect the same thing would happen in EMS if paramedics were to start going to bachelors programs (or even 2 year programs). What bothers me is when I hear people saying "why should I get my bachelors if there's nothing in it for me monetarily". Not everything is about the tangible rewards. If we hold ourselves to a higher standard personally then this will translate to our profession being held to a higher standard.

Nothing changes without sacrifice.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
When I was in college the big thing was becoming a physical therapist. Everybody and their brother decided to become one and guess what, once everyone had a 4 year degree in it the employers started wanting people with a masters. The same thing is occurring in nursing. Now that more and more nurses are going for an RN the LVN's are taking a back seat. I suspect the same thing would happen in EMS if paramedics were to start going to bachelors programs (or even 2 year programs). What bothers me is when I hear people saying "why should I get my bachelors if there's nothing in it for me monetarily". Not everything is about the tangible rewards. If we hold ourselves to a higher standard personally then this will translate to our profession being held to a higher standard.

Nothing changes without sacrifice.

Could not agree more. Degree inflation is a very real thing, and it's something that certainly could happen to paramedics. I don't really know how that get's prevented, but as mentioned it has not done much for the PT world besides forcing everyone back to school to stay competitive. Realistically, does every PT need to have a masters? Probably not, but the new thing is PTs getting doctorates. The same has happened with athletic training degrees, but I'd bet that the quality of care has not improved in a commensurate manner.

AirMed44

Forum Probie
I know at the school I work for we offer a bachelors in EMS. I know that some flight programs in our area give preference points for having a bachelors in EMS. We are currently working on a masters degree in EMS. Not sure how that will pan out, but I agree with the degree inflation in different professions. In the state of Oregon I believe you have to at least have an AAS to get your paramedic license. I think you might see this more and more in the future. Just my two cents.