Avoiding Burnout, Stress, Etc.

WFDJustin

Forum Ride Along
So like most other people i know in the EMS field. I use a saying to cope with whatever i encounter on a scene. Personally i think my instructor said it best when he said "Its not my problem" Now i know alot of people think thats an indication of a person who doesnt care. Ive come to realize that in this field in order to avoid being burned out, stressed, and just well... tired of it all? You have to have a way to cope whether its something you tell yourself or someone you confide in. After a call i more then always think "its not my problem." Now dont take that the wrong way. What i mean by that is this. I didnt do this to the patient, there wasnt anything i could have done to prevent it, and i did my best for the patient. Helps me keep a level head and a clear focus. So now.

How do you cope, or deal with the things we as EMS providers see and deal with?

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't.

It's not my problem.

EMT-B2B

Forum Crew Member
Sense of Humor! In my corrections work.....I dealt with the BULL**** by having a sense of humor. I imagine thats how I'll handle stress in EMS. I have a rotten sense of humor that most people wouldnt find humerous one bit. But something that the average Joe Smo would find distastefull, you buddies in the at work will probaly find that to be the funniest thing they have ever heard. It's just one of those things that happen in jobs like this.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Get a life.

When you get off duty leave EMS behind. Do not talk to people from work. Have friends that are not EMS. Do not let EMS become your sole excuse for existing, if you do your life will be bad. D not spend all your free time looking for new EMS gadgets and tats. EMS is a job not a life style.

Follow my advice and you can have a long happy career. Let EMS consume you and you will burn out.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Take your job serious, not yourself.

R/r 911

medic417

The Truth Provider
When you get off duty leave EMS behind. Do not talk to people from work. Have friends that are not EMS. Do not let EMS become your sole excuse for existing, if you do your life will be bad. D not spend all your free time looking for new EMS gadgets and tats. EMS is a job not a life style.

Follow my advice and you can have a long happy career. Let EMS consume you and you will burn out.

Burn out seems to concern a bunch so I brought this one back up to help.

Hockey

Quackers
Listen to your family, don't forget about them.

Remember you didn't put the patient in that situation, no matter how young or old, YOU didn't put them in the situation.

Your not going to save the world, things got done before you came along, things are going to get done if your not going to be there.

sarahharter

Forum Crew Member
def humor and not thinking into the situations more than you have to. its their emergency not yours, always remember that!