Are most EMS personnel THIS unprofessional?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reaper

Working Bum
We carry Heparin on our trucks and it is given for every STEMI pt. Cardiologists will rip you a new one, if they are brought to the cath lab without it being given. There is great research on the benefits of Heparin use in STEMI's. Do some reading on it.

Miss Xina

Forum Lieutenant
We carry Heparin on our trucks and it is given for every STEMI pt. Cardiologists will rip you a new one, if they are brought to the cath lab without it being given. There is great research on the benefits of Heparin use in STEMI's. Do some reading on it.

I shall. Remember, I AM fresh out of EMT-B class :)

atropine

Forum Captain
you guys must have a hell of a budget, isn't that stuff real exspensive?

reaper

Working Bum
No more then some of the other drugs carried. Pt care comes first, above costs.

mct601

RN/NRP
FYI to new emts, do not let other people tell you that buying an expensive stethoscope is the mark of a ricky rescue or whacker. If you are serious about patient care and furthering your education, investing in quality equipment a good idea. Scanners, emergency lights, and trauma bags are not so good however.

They may be expensive but you get what you pay for. Littmans are also made in the United States so you support domestic industry :)

Agreed completely, I want to have to be able to give the most efficient care- and also want a stethoscope that will last. We have a nurse that's had a few littmans since the late 90s.

Kookaburra

Forum Lieutenant
I agree with most of what you said, OP. There's a difference between "gallows humor" and being plain offensive. Just because it's "culture" doesn't mean it's above reproach, and the EMS/Fire "culture" is a very hostile environment for anyone who is not a white, heterosexual male.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
"You're new. No, worse than new, you're a student. Shut up."
I tried to be polite. You are a student. you aren't even an EMT. you know NOTHING about this field. you come asking questions, but don't like the answers. You said this perfectly: You're new. No, worse than new, you're a student. Shut up.
I now take my leave of this thread, not because of anything anyone said but for the sheer fact that I am bored of it. Thank you all for the input.
don't let the door hit you on the way out. with an attitude like yours, you won't last long long in this field. and from what you type here, EMS will be better for it with you not in it.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I agree with most of what you said, OP. There's a difference between "gallows humor" and being plain offensive. Just because it's "culture" doesn't mean it's above reproach, and the EMS/Fire "culture" is a very hostile environment for anyone who is not a white, heterosexual male.

Where did that come from??? I am a female and have never felt that EMS is a hostile enviorment... from your posts I'm getting that you feel very oppressed, which isn't true. If anything, males are more oppressed than females. They must walk on egg shells and are often passed for things simply because they are male and there is a female who may or may not meet requirements but it would look good for the company to promote or hire a female.

As women, we have it made.

Last edited by a moderator:

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Just because it's "culture" doesn't mean it's above reproach, and the EMS/Fire "culture" is a very hostile environment for anyone who is not a white, heterosexual male.
really? so my former partner who is a hispanic male (recently engaged to a woman 10 years his junior), vol firefighter for 8 years is treated hostily? or my two female supervisors (who happen to be the only two BLS supervisors in the entire department)?

or all the women, african americans, hispanics who work in Newark and Camden NJ, NYC, Detroit, Miami, Chicago, atlanta and Boston who have been there 5/10/20 years are all treated hostily? maybe in the oregan area where everyone is a white hetero male, but definately not nation wide.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief

I've been with my service for 2 yrs and I don't find it hostile and I'm a aboriginal aka native american male.

Kookaburra

Forum Lieutenant
As women, we have it made.

Wow that is naive. Not that I blame you - I was pretty happy when I was in denial about the true depth of hatred our society has for non-men. North America isn't even in the top ten when it come to gender parity. We get paid less for the same jobs, the rape conviction rate is appalling, and we just had one of the most disgusting, misogynistic election cycles I've ever seen.

If you're a woman in this industry (and in patriarchal society as a whole) who happens to have secondary sex characteristics, you're a :censored::censored::censored::censored:-target. If you make it clear that you are not interested, you're a dyke and a :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:. If you make it clear that you don't approve of hate-speech, you're a kill-joy.

A person in this thread mentioned that someone in his station is "The Gay", (though we were quickly assured that said co-worker was not, in fact, homosexual). How nice for someone to be in such a position of privilege that they can appropriate wholesale a significant portion of the population's identity and turn it into an insult.

Sorry, I'm not going to shed tears for teh poor menz who are having to keep a rein on their hatred for the first time in 5,000 years, and are crying because 52% of the population is now demanding equal standing.

Kookaburra

Forum Lieutenant
really? so my former partner who is a hispanic male (recently engaged to a woman 10 years his junior), vol firefighter for 8 years is treated hostily? or my two female supervisors (who happen to be the only two BLS supervisors in the entire department)?

or all the women, african americans, hispanics who work in Newark and Camden NJ, NYC, Detroit, Miami, Chicago, atlanta and Boston who have been there 5/10/20 years are all treated hostily? maybe in the oregan area where everyone is a white hetero male, but definately not nation wide.

I'm sure they would love you coming down from your privileged position and dictating what they, personally experienced during their careers.

Miss Xina

Forum Lieutenant

I do not find this to be true. I am a white female immigrant. Granted, I am from England so people tend to think I'm cool, but I have had no problem with the fire/EMS people that I have rode with.

If there are women that have had issues, I'd like to hear about it.

I've had far more trouble from everyone else than I have had from the guys I have worked with. Been called a "commie", asked when I'm going home, what I am doing here and if I'm here legally to name a few.

Obviously, it's no where near as a bad as what it would be if I were any other colour nor it as bad as if my language was not primarily English.

I disagree with your post.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Granted, I am from England

I would want you as my partner, just to listen to your accent all day.

reaper

Working Bum
Wow that is naive. Not that I blame you - I was pretty happy when I was in denial about the true depth of hatred our society has for non-men. North America isn't even in the top ten when it come to gender parity. We get paid less for the same jobs, the rape conviction rate is appalling, and we just had one of the most disgusting, misogynistic election cycles I've ever seen.

If you're a woman in this industry (and in patriarchal society as a whole) who happens to have secondary sex characteristics, you're a :censored::censored::censored::censored:-target. If you make it clear that you are not interested, you're a dyke and a :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:. If you make it clear that you don't approve of hate-speech, you're a kill-joy.

A person in this thread mentioned that someone in his station is "The Gay", (though we were quickly assured that said co-worker was not, in fact, homosexual). How nice for someone to be in such a position of privilege that they can appropriate wholesale a significant portion of the population's identity and turn it into an insult.

Sorry, I'm not going to shed tears for teh poor menz who are having to keep a rein on their hatred for the first time in 5,000 years, and are crying because 52% of the population is now demanding equal standing.

Someone has some issues? Some FD's are that way still, but I have never seen an EMS system that is not equal and fair to all. Whether your a woman,Gay or a minority. Maybe it is time to get out of the NW?

BTW- the post stated "the GUY"

Sasha

Forum Chief

I'm not going to shed a tear for the poor feminists who look for reasons to be offended and oppressed and will not be pleased until males hang their head in shame every time a woman passes by them on her glass escalator.

Calling something "gay" is part of everyday vernacular, you're going to find that wherever you go, whatever the profession. There are chauvanists in every profession. Women have broken into EMS long ago, and as a young, single, pretty female I am not called a witch with a B because I turn down people, nor am I oppressed. I don't feel that EMS is hostile. I am NOT naive. I'm offended that you would imply because I don't agree with you I must be naive.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
the rape conviction rate is appalling, and we just had one of the most disgusting, misogynistic election cycles I've ever seen.

So we shouldn't even have a trial for rape? If the woman says it's rape, it's straight to a life sentence in PMITA federal prison? Yea, that's justice right there.

As far as the election, if you can't handle the heat, stay out of the kitchen. Politics on a national level isn't a pretty game and candidates are regularly attacked in every possible way. Are we supposed to give Palin and Hillary a pass because they have their gonads on the inside and not the outside?

Miss Xina

Forum Lieutenant
So we shouldn't even have a trial for rape? If the woman says it's rape, it's straight to a life sentence in PMITA federal prison? Yea, that's justice right there.

As far as the election, if you can't handle the heat, stay out of the kitchen. Politics on a national level isn't a pretty game and candidates are regularly attacked in every possible way. Are we supposed to give Palin and Hillary a pass because they have their gonads on the inside and not the outside?

LOL, in fact, they have the upper hand. It don't hurt as much when they get a good kick in their inside gonads HAHAHA

Although, it still kills. I don't recommend it!

Status
Not open for further replies.