anything in southern cali that does not involve amr for a single role medic

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I'm not sure how these companies work their ALS units but Symons has the contract for Bishop and Mission has the contract for the salton sea area. Just throwing these out there.
I completely forgot about those ones. The Salton sea area has been running through companies like a meth user goes through money. It seems like every month there is a new provider there. Morongo Basin Ambulance tried it, gold cross, Salton city, and now mission.

wtferick

Forum Captain
I completely forgot about those ones. The Salton sea area has been running through companies like a meth user goes through money. It seems like every month there is a new provider there. Morongo Basin Ambulance tried it, gold cross, Salton city, and now mission.
I always cheer for these little companies to succeed haha

VentMonkey

Family Guy
These companies are hanger-ons to areas in the middle of nowhere. Not to be too harsh, but I would not uproot half way across the country for any of these 2-3 unit ambulance companies just because they're "non-fire 911".

Lets be real guys, and help the OP out.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

Okay...

Before everyone else chimes in, stay out of CA. If you don't want to work for a FD, want to make crap pay with crap benefits, and crap schedules then you're more than welcome to come join the fun. If you don't want any of those seek life elsewhere.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
These companies are hanger-ons to areas in the middle of nowhere. Not to be too harsh, but I would not uproot half way across the country for any of these 2-3 unit ambulance companies just because they're "non-fire 911".

Considering AMR or Rural Metro (also AMR) seems to cover 90% of SoCal there isn’t much else to be said as far as listing other big companies.

Everything in OC and LA is out since they are not 911 medics. Riverside county is all AMR. San Bernardino County is County Fire, AMR, a city department or two, Baker EMS (if they are even still around). Mono county is primarily Mono County EMS. And Inyo County looks to be Symons.

I can not speak to the other ~5 counties in southern CA. If the OP is really wanting to move to CA it will greatly help if they are able to narrow it down to a more specific region.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Right, but throwing out fly by nights in the middle of nowhere California just doesn't seem cricket, IMO. Most of these companies don't even have a 401k, or full-time benefits for full-time work.

OP, the further north in California you move, the more maneuverability you will have with legitimacy of non-fire 911. For all of its cons, AMR is still well-established, and offers at least benefits. I say it all the time, the Central California coast is a hidden EMS gem- for California EMS.

@CALEMT is right, most non-fire driven EMS providers get fed up and eventually leave this state...for Texas (lulz).

CALEMT

CALEMT

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
If you pick the right division for AMR it isn’t that bad. There are cons but there are also a lot of pluses. You have the ability to transfer to almost all 50 states, the ability to be on the Federal response team, they will pay for some of your education (75% of undergraduate and 50% of graduate) in addition to any other class that could help you with your job in any way (science, some computer classes).

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Way to ruin a fellas punchline:rolleyes:...

Also, isn't Arizona another heavily-saturated paramedic state?
I’ve been seeing a lot of job openings for ground medics and there has been 4-5 open flight medic (just for Air Methods) positions for at least 3 months.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I’ve been seeing a lot of job openings for ground medics and there has been 4-5 open flight medic (just for Air Methods) positions for at least 3 months.
Right, but that's perhaps because their fire departments are hiring again?//shrugs//

IIRC, like California, most of the fire departments out there hire merit-badge medics as well. Pretty much everyone on the engine is a paramedic in name, or functioning as one for the day. Plus, the AMR paramedic who gives the patients rides to the hospital after the 5 or so FFPM's have treated the patient, and relinquished care.

...i.e., the paramedics I had talked to out there gave me this impression. This was more in the Glendale/ unincorporated metro areas though.

olaf1988

Forum Crew Member
Cambria is staffed 1-to-1 and only has a few units to cover a huge area. They run 48s and have low call volume. Good place to work from the people I know who've worked there.

IFRMedic

Forum Probie
Part-time, limited hours, no real benefits or retirement, and generally geared towards typical nozzle-work.

If you can, stick to Texas, OP.

that was a while ago, vent. all medics are PERS/unlimited hours. even have a few FT PMs.

my buddy works there and he says it's going to be a south pas/san marino type dept sooner than later... he hopes anyway. ha

terrible one

Always wandering
San Luis Ambulance in SLO sounds like a good option. Not quite socal but fairly close. But it's not super busy, limited posting, almost all 24 cars, all ALS system. The only problem is they rarely hire EMTs and when they do they start them part time, so you're going to need another job to supplement your income.

Honestly I'd look at other places than socal from what you want as far as an EMT job. Maybe inland or central CA but even then you're limited. If you have no plans to go fire CA is a horrible place for EMS save a few places.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
that was a while ago, vent. all medics are PERS/unlimited hours. even have a few FT PMs.

my buddy works there and he says it's going to be a south pas/san marino type dept sooner than later... he hopes anyway. ha
Wait, what? But they still hire part-time medics. We are talking about Sierra Madre FD, right?

Granted you're right, it was years ago since I had applied, but the taste they left in my mouth then was certainly one that painted a very discretionary selection process picture with regard to their hiring tactics.

I do know (then) they were having some internal issues with their staff that was running the paramedic program, but again, have no clue what's changed since.