Anyone buy anything from Craigslist?

Hockey

Quackers
Just wondering if anyone here has ever bought anything from Craigslist? Good? Bad? I know everything has risk when buying from unknown sellers and just use common sense.

This guy is selling an Xbox 360 "sealed" new.

http://flint.craigslist.org/tag/1054167627.html

Opinions? Things to look out for?

I told him I'll meet him before work in the AM.

Going to end up buying a Wii too but will buy that at the store

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Sealed or not, I would open it and hook it up before paying. With a store you have a return policy, with a man from the internet, you do not.

Treat Craigslist like a yard sale. Test everything first.

jordanfstop

Forum Lieutenant
I give everybody the benefit of the doubt. The truth is, most people on Craigslist are honest people trying to sell their things. Unfortunately, it's the few people that scam others give it a bad name.

milhouse

Forum Crew Member
if your going to buy something like an xbox on the inet i highly recommend using ebay.com. if the sellers screws you over ebay usually backs you up and use paypal because you can file a claim and get your money back and you get your money back. i was buying an ATV part and the guy was a fake and i never got it so i filed a claim with both ebay and paypal the user got deleted and i got my money back in full.

so for your safety and to make sure you get what you want use ebay and research the seller first.

good luck with your purchase

imurphy

Forum Captain
Maybe I've been lucky, but I've bought many things on CL, and never had a problem.

If the person seems shady, that's where common sense comes in! But generally CL is pretty good.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
And pop off the faceplate, and check if the warranty sticker is there. Then if something does happen, you just ship it off to MS and they give you a new one for some moneys.

This one, (this guy is pulling it off)
open10.jpg

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Craigslist is used fairly often by people trying to scam you. My son was selling something and got a money order for over the amount of the sale. Turns out the money order was a fake. Friend of mine who works for the post office said this is a very common scam. They will send you a money order, then ask you to send them the difference in a check or other method. The post office won't cash the money order for you, and you end up out the merchandise, the money and whatever the difference was. Luckily my son figured it out pretty quickly and didn't get taken.

My husband has done pretty well with Craigslist stuff though. He generally meets the seller in person though and conducts the whole transaction face to face... since he's a total technophobe.

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
Sealed or not, I would open it and hook it up before paying. With a store you have a return policy, with a man from the internet, you do not.

Treat Craigslist like a yard sale. Test everything first.

Ditto!!

I have purchased several things from Craigslist. So far I have had good luck.

tydek07

Forum Captain
I tend to use ebay more so then GL. But the few time I have used GL, I have had no problems. Just use common sense and you should be fine. :)