Anyone been through the...

OP
OP
E

emtstudent04

Forum Lieutenant
I had my interview on thursday the 27th with Pacific, I felt that it went very well. The interviewer seemed to be impressed by the oral interview we had. He told me you followed directions just like i asked, you have open avaliability. He had told the group of people i was there with which was about 6 at the time that they were putting together an eligibility list for possible new hire's. He also said at the end of my interview that they are hoping to hire in the middle of June and he is interviewing 60 people assuming they all show up and follow directions and have all there certs. Then they will choose the 15 they like out of 60 then go from there and hire however many they need to fill which he didn't state on how many they could possibly be hiring. The day after my interview(yesterday) i sent him and thank you e mail thanking him for this wonderful opportunity and thank you so much for your time and i hope i hear from you very soon. So all in all i feel like everything went well kept my composer didnt seem nervous so im hope i get a phone call in the middle of June.

Fox

Forum Crew Member
I had my interview on thursday the 27th with Pacific, I felt that it went very well. The interviewer seemed to be impressed by the oral interview we had. He told me you followed directions just like i asked, you have open avaliability. He had told the group of people i was there with which was about 6 at the time that they were putting together an eligibility list for possible new hire's. He also said at the end of my interview that they are hoping to hire in the middle of June and he is interviewing 60 people assuming they all show up and follow directions and have all there certs. Then they will choose the 15 they like out of 60 then go from there and hire however many they need to fill which he didn't state on how many they could possibly be hiring. The day after my interview(yesterday) i sent him and thank you e mail thanking him for this wonderful opportunity and thank you so much for your time and i hope i hear from you very soon. So all in all i feel like everything went well kept my composer didnt seem nervous so im hope i get a phone call in the middle of June.

Yay! Good job. Let us know!

OP
OP
E

emtstudent04

Forum Lieutenant
Thank you Fox and Porkchop i hope i get a phone call to and i will deffinitly let you guys know what happens.

OP
OP
E

emtstudent04

Forum Lieutenant
Ok so i had my interview on May 27th and they said they would possibly be hiring in the middle of June(this month) Would it be a bad or a good idea to call them to check up on if they have made any decisions yet? For Pacific Ambulance SD division.

Focallength

Forum Crew Member
A little off topic but why do you not capitalize I except (and not always) when its at the start of a setenece? Also the whole "just wear a polo, or I just wore shorts" advice is bad, always dress like you want the job. I garuntee that if one person came in wearing a shirt and tie and the other came in wearing shorts and work boots. The shirt and tie guy makes the shorts guy look like a bum. Also if you fill out an application or deliver a resume with the same lack of attention to proper spelling, puncuation, etc... you make your self look unprofessional.

Example, I just got hired, I wore a shirt and tie everytime I spoke with anyone. Most people came in in shorts, dirty work clothes, sneakers etc...the HR lady was so annoyed that so many "kids" came in wasting her time because they look like they are applying to McDonalds (Why do people think its ok to wear baseball hats, sagging pants, flip flops, etc... just to drop off an application? First impressions typically make or break you) Their resumes look like they were written by 2 year olds. Needless to say the 5-6 adults (and that term can apply to anyone regardless of age) got the job. the 5-6 people who came in looking like they are professionals and have everything HR asked for.

Just a word of wisdom, dressing down will kill your career, the most important thing I ever learned regarding looking for work was, as soon as you can by a nice suit.

Just my .02 take it or leave it

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
E

emtstudent04

Forum Lieutenant
First off Pacific Ambulance sends out e mails for people they want to join in there hiring process.

Second it clearly states in the e mail that shorts and a t shirt are exceptable for the physical portion of the interview.

I wore black slacks and a white polo shirt because i didn't want to come in looking like a total scrub. That and i have a tattoo on my lower right leg so i wanted to cover it up. I totally agree with you though on wearing a dress shirt with a tie, nice pair of dress pants and shinned up dress shoes. The more professional you look the better your impression will be.

OP
OP
E

emtstudent04

Forum Lieutenant
I guess i didn't get the job with Pacific Ambulance in San Diego, I just saw someone post a thread that they got a call yesterday from them for a position. I don't get it i called the guy sent him a thank you e mail, sent him a few e mails to check up on it, i went in person, i left voice messages and all i get in return is nothing. I have been trying to get on with a company since early Feb of this year and still nothing. Ahhh im really starting to loose it and loose hope.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Maybe they're calling peopple over multiple days? Also, there's likely a waitlist. There's always the chance that people are declining the acceptance and that it'll reach you.

OP
OP
E

emtstudent04

Forum Lieutenant
Maybe they're calling peopple over multiple days? Also, there's likely a waitlist. There's always the chance that people are declining the acceptance and that it'll reach you.

I guess thats a possibility, but it gets frustrating i have been trying to get on with a company since Feb and i have had a few interviews and nothing has happen it. It's starting to break me down.

Porkchop

Forum Crew Member
When I interviewed with Pacific (back in February), I got an email telling me I didn't get the job. Which I actually prefer, other places just wouldn't tell me anything definitive, even if I called back. They would just let me wait and wonder until I accepted that I didn't get it.

At least for Pacific, no news is good news.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
E

emtstudent04

Forum Lieutenant
When I interviewed with Pacific (back in February), I got an email telling me I didn't get the job. Which I actually prefer, other places just wouldn't tell me anything definitive, even if I called back. They would just let me wait and wonder until I accepted that I didn't get it.

At least for Pacific, no news is good news.

Well i never got an e mail so maybe im still in the hunt for a possible job then. When i gotin contact with the hiring guy he said if i haven't received an e mail yet im still in the mix of possible new hires so who knows lol.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Not to be rude, but maybe they are only hiring EMTs that know how to spell correctly.

Gross spelling errors have always made me toss an application to the bottom of the stack (or in the round file) when I was hiring staff. In seeing your posts here on EMTlife, I'd look closely at how you present yourself in written form.

Don't forget, documentation is a HUGE part of the EMT's job and if you can't spell simple words like "advice" or use punctuation correctly, it shows that you're not focused on the attention to detail that the job requires.

I'm just sayin'...

themooingdawg

Forum Crew Member
I work at another division of pacific ambulance, but i can assure you that the person that did the interviewing is a great guy; he tries and gets to as many people as he can and helps out as many people as he can, but you have to understand that he's probably interviewing hundreds of people a day who are competing for 5-10 spots. Especially with you being in San Diego, I really don't think Pacific has that many people there to begin with, so you're probably going up against 1-200 people fighting for 5-10 spots like I said. Its unfortunate, but if you don't get a call back, I'd keep trying; apply everywhere and see what happens. If you really want to start working as an EMT, maybe its time to think about applying for companies in the OC area as well; I know couple guys that drive up from SD frequently to work.

OP
OP
E

emtstudent04

Forum Lieutenant
Not to be rude, but maybe they are only hiring EMTs that know how to spell correctly.

Gross spelling errors have always made me toss an application to the bottom of the stack (or in the round file) when I was hiring staff. In seeing your posts here on EMTlife, I'd look closely at how you present yourself in written form.

Don't forget, documentation is a HUGE part of the EMT's job and if you can't spell simple words like "advice" or use punctuation correctly, it shows that you're not focused on the attention to detail that the job requires.

I'm just sayin'...

Your right i do need to check my spelling and when i do fill out an application i make sure i spell words right trust me i do. On here i do become a little impatient because i have a lot going on at home. Some typo's that i have on here are due to the fact that im in a rush which isn't an excuse.

Secondly and don't take any offense to this, but you have no idea how attention detailed i am when im focusing on something that i really want. Granted, yes i should pay attention to how i am typing on here because for someone like you who knows nothing about me can make a judgement based on how i am on this forum. I do understand what you mean and your 100% correct i'll give you that. Sorry for the attitude it's not my attention to sound like that if in fact you take it that way.

I will take that into consideration about what you brought to my attention for that i thank you.

OP
OP
E

emtstudent04

Forum Lieutenant
I work at another division of pacific ambulance, but i can assure you that the person that did the interviewing is a great guy; he tries and gets to as many people as he can and helps out as many people as he can, but you have to understand that he's probably interviewing hundreds of people a day who are competing for 5-10 spots. Especially with you being in San Diego, I really don't think Pacific has that many people there to begin with, so you're probably going up against 1-200 people fighting for 5-10 spots like I said. Its unfortunate, but if you don't get a call back, I'd keep trying; apply everywhere and see what happens. If you really want to start working as an EMT, maybe its time to think about applying for companies in the OC area as well; I know couple guys that drive up from SD frequently to work.

You are right the guy who does the hiring is a very good man. I could see that when i interviewed with him. I did make contact with him about 3 weeks ago and he did infact inform me that if i have not received an e mail from them that i am still in the hiring process. He said that they interviewed about 60 applicants and when i got in contact with him 3 weeks ago he told me that he still has my application in the hiring process and that they have already eliminated a lot of people and i was still in the mix. I hope that holds true, but i do understand that companies deal with hundreds of people so they very well could of passed me up. I will continue to keep trying and im going to try to regain contact with Pacific untill i get and definite answer. I'm not going to call everyday but i will try a few times.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief

I'm just sayin'...

Now that is a point; neat handwriting and good spelling are essential; you are shooting yourself in the foot otherwise.

Hiring managers are busy and I think most people are doing the work of one and a half people, there is a huge pool of applicants and sometimes it can be really hard to choose candidates over one another so if you give somebody a reason to bin your application then that might just be your downfall.

Other than that, good luck mate.

OP
OP
E

emtstudent04

Forum Lieutenant
So i never got a call back from Pacific Ambulance nor did i get a call back from Care Ambulance, but i did FINALLY get hired on with a company. There more of a small company that's not very well known, but i guess i can't complain.

I do have another interview with AMR on Tuesday the 17th, so i guess will see how that goes.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
Now that is a point; neat handwriting and good spelling are essential; you are shooting yourself in the foot otherwise.

Only doctors get to have lousy handwriting and spelling. That's why the pharmacists make the big bucks. You think they spent a few years in pharm school studying drugs? Yeah right, computers do all that stuff. It was years of intensive handwriting analysis classes so they would be able to read the docs scripts.