Anyone been through the...

emtstudent04

Forum Lieutenant
Pacific Ambulance San Diego Divison interview process? What exactly happens during everything in the interview process? The questions they ask you? I really want to nail this interview.

Porkchop

Forum Crew Member
Written application, written test (not too difficult), physical test (also not too difficult), then a short interview. He pretty much just asks you "Tell me about yourself", and a couple other standard questions. Make sure you have a good driving history too, that's a big plus. Also, follow directions. I can't stress that enough. They have a lot of people applying, so they thin the numbers by getting rid of you if you don't follow directions properly.

Other than that, I wish you much luck. You'll need it. When I interviewed, there were 65 applicants for 5 spots. And I've heard similar things from other people, so expect similar odds.

OP
OP
E

emtstudent04

Forum Lieutenant
So they have you fill out a written application along with your online application? What other questions did he ask you if you dont mind me asking? Anything on the written test that i should be very familiar with i feel pretty confident in the stuff i know but just want to make sure. What does the physical test consist of?

Porkchop

Forum Crew Member
Yeah, you have to fill out another application even if you applied online. A lot of companies seem to do that, I'm not quite sure why, but I'm sure there's a reason.

The only questions I remember other than "Tell me about yourself" (on a side note, I hate that question), were about my driving history (even though I had an H6), and availability. I'm sure there were a few other minor questions that I'm forgetting, but that's basically it. I don't remember being asked about strengths and weaknesses.

I wouldn't worry about the written test. If you passed National Registry, it should be no problem. Nothing really stood out about it, just standard multiple choice and a few fill in the blank questions. Scenarios and whatnot.

The physical test is easy. Step up and down on a box (kinda like climbing stairs) for 3 minutes and he takes your pulse, and then lift like 100 some odd pounds from a chair at thigh level to a table around waist level 3 times. It's supposed to simulate putting a gurney into the back of an ambulance.

And that's pretty much it.

OP
OP
E

emtstudent04

Forum Lieutenant
Yeah, you have to fill out another application even if you applied online. A lot of companies seem to do that, I'm not quite sure why, but I'm sure there's a reason.

The only questions I remember other than "Tell me about yourself" (on a side note, I hate that question), were about my driving history (even though I had an H6), and availability. I'm sure there were a few other minor questions that I'm forgetting, but that's basically it. I don't remember being asked about strengths and weaknesses.

I wouldn't worry about the written test. If you passed National Registry, it should be no problem. Nothing really stood out about it, just standard multiple choice and a few fill in the blank questions. Scenarios and whatnot.

The physical test is easy. Step up and down on a box (kinda like climbing stairs) for 3 minutes and he takes your pulse, and then lift like 100 some odd pounds from a chair at thigh level to a table around waist level 3 times. It's supposed to simulate putting a gurney into the back of an ambulance.

And that's pretty much it.

Yes i did pass my NREMT test. Thank you so much for your insights on the interview process. Hopefully i get the job because its something i want really bad.

I think for the interview im just going to wear black slacks and a white polo with dress shoes and ill bring my running shoes with me if ihave time to switch shoes for the physical test. He said shorts and a t-shirt are acceptable for the interview but i have a tattoo on the back of my right calve so i dont know how they are about tattos. I would think they have to be covered up so thats why im going with pants.

Porkchop

Forum Crew Member
If I were you, I wouldn't bother with dressing up. I don't think it will help at all. I just wore a t-shirt and running shorts. The physical test is easy, but don't make it any harder than it has to be. If you're really worried about the tattoo, you can wear running pants (if you have any), or you could email Randy and ask him if it's okay.

Also, one last piece of advice. I don't know if you have already , but be sure to apply to and accept interviews from other companies. I really wanted to work for Pacific as well, but nothing is a sure thing (as I found out). But good luck on the interview, I wish you the best.

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
Yes i did pass my NREMT test. Thank you so much for your insights on the interview process. Hopefully i get the job because its something i want really bad.

I think for the interview im just going to wear black slacks and a white polo with dress shoes and ill bring my running shoes with me if ihave time to switch shoes for the physical test. He said shorts and a t-shirt are acceptable for the interview but i have a tattoo on the back of my right calve so i dont know how they are about tattos. I would think they have to be covered up so thats why im going with pants.

Stick with the Polo and Slacks/Kahkis, and some decent looking shoes (not to fancy, not too imformal) that match should do the trick.. you want to make an impressionable image

i went though the process for Pacific in Orange County, it was pretty much how porkchop discribed it

if you can answer all these questions COMFORTABLY in this article then you should do fine: http://firelink.monster.com/benefits/articles/8703-15-toughest-interview-questions-and-answers

make sure you brush up on your OB/GYN for the written test (there are a few fill in the blank questions that threw me for a loop)

OP
OP
E

emtstudent04

Forum Lieutenant
Stick with the Polo and Slacks/Kahkis, and some decent looking shoes (not to fancy, not too imformal) that match should do the trick.. you want to make an impressionable image

i went though the process for Pacific in Orange County, it was pretty much how porkchop discribed it

if you can answer all these questions COMFORTABLY in this article then you should do fine: http://firelink.monster.com/benefits/articles/8703-15-toughest-interview-questions-and-answers

make sure you brush up on your OB/GYN for the written test (there are a few fill in the blank questions that threw me for a loop)

Thank you so much i will deffinitly look over those questions and get comfortable with them. Well as comfortable as i can.

OP
OP
E

emtstudent04

Forum Lieutenant
So black slacks, white polo shirt, and i also have a pair of steal toed boots that are black and polishable. A Medic gave me his old steal toe's on a ride along i did with him and there in decent shape. Does that sound reasonable for my interview? Gosh im so nervous already and it's still a week away.

On another note im nervous on the written application because when i get nervous my handwriting may not be very good.

Also i have documented all the ride along's i have done since being certified as a EMT-B, which is about a dozen ride along's. Should i type them all on the computer and bring a copy of it with me to the interview, so they see i do have experience under my belt?

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
So black slacks, white polo shirt, and i also have a pair of steal toed boots that are black and polishable. A Medic gave me his old steal toe's on a ride along i did with him and there in decent shape. Does that sound reasonable for my interview? Gosh im so nervous already and it's still a week away.

Not to be one of "those people", but the metal is steel. To "steal" is to pilfer, thieve, etc. :) As long as the boots aren't all torn up and will take a shine, I'm sure they'll work fine.

On another note im nervous on the written application because when i get nervous my handwriting may not be very good.

Print neatly.

Also i have documented all the ride along's i have done since being certified as a EMT-B, which is about a dozen ride along's. Should i type them all on the computer and bring a copy of it with me to the interview, so they see i do have experience under my belt?

Perhaps mention it on your resume?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Edit: never mind.. misread post...

OP
OP
E

emtstudent04

Forum Lieutenant
Ok so today i had an interview not with Pacific yet thats on thursday, but monday i got an unexpected call from a really small local BLS company to come in for an interview today at 1130 so i felt pretty confident going into the interview but left feeling miserable. I got asked two protocol questions one of the questions was on Discomfort/ Pain Of Suspected Cardiac Origin. I replied back saying " Keeping a patent airway, high flow O2/or ventilate prn, May help with the administration of NTG if systolic BP is >100 up to three doses any further dose must make BH contact for further administration." Totally left out the 5 rights, no sexually inhancing drugs in the past 48 hours, Pulse must be between 50-100. So i think i blew that question. Then i got asked about What is the definition of shock per san diego protocol i replied saying "an unstable pt with a systolic BP less then 90 with an altered LOC and then i froze and completly drew a blank." Im pretty sure i blew that one too and the thing thats gets me the most is i know the answers to both of those questions. I just got so nervous i froze up. I havent had an actual interview in almost 4 years. The guy proceded to tell me after the interview to not call the company back we will call you. He shook my hand and i said ok sounds great thank you so much. I felt so awkward through that whole interview and now im very dissapointed in my self. I felt like i should of nailed that interview because it was a very simple interview. AHHHHH!

The interviewer also told me You need to familiarize your self more with your protocols and become more familiar with them. I thought that was rude but after i thought about it he was just being honest because its the truth, but at the same time i was very nervous and i just froze up even though i do know my protocols very well i think i just completly froze up and drew a blank. I let my self down so much.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fox

Forum Crew Member
Ok so today i had an interview not with Pacific yet thats on thursday, but monday i got an unexpected call from a really small local BLS company to come in for an interview today at 1130 so i felt pretty confident going into the interview but left feeling miserable. I got asked two protocol questions one of the questions was on Discomfort/ Pain Of Suspected Cardiac Origin. I replied back saying " Keeping a patent airway, high flow O2/or ventilate prn, May help with the administration of NTG if systolic BP is >100 up to three doses any further dose must make BH contact for further administration." Totally left out the 5 rights, no sexually inhancing drugs in the past 48 hours, Pulse must be between 50-100. So i think i blew that question. Then i got asked about What is the definition of shock per san diego protocol i replied saying "an unstable pt with a systolic BP less then 90 with an altered LOC and then i froze and completly drew a blank." Im pretty sure i blew that one too and the thing thats gets me the most is i know the answers to both of those questions. I just got so nervous i froze up. I havent had an actual interview in almost 4 years. The guy proceded to tell me after the interview to not call the company back we will call you. He shook my hand and i said ok sounds great thank you so much. I felt so awkward through that whole interview and now im very dissapointed in my self. I felt like i should of nailed that interview because it was a very simple interview. AHHHHH!

The interviewer also told me You need to familiarize your self more with your protocols and become more familiar with them. I thought that was rude but after i thought about it he was just being honest because its the truth, but at the same time i was very nervous and i just froze up even though i do know my protocols very well i think i just completly froze up and drew a blank. I let my self down so much.

Take this as a practice run for Pacific and review! Now you know what to expect, you'll do better Thursday. Remember to stay calm and breathe, don't sweat it. Class should've been harder than an interview (they make me nervous too) so you'll be fine. You knew were you messed up, so just remember next time, stay calm and study before then. I still look over my notes and read my book, so I'm prepared for an interview. Goodluck! ^_^

OP
OP
E

emtstudent04

Forum Lieutenant
Take this as a practice run for Pacific and review! Now you know what to expect, you'll do better Thursday. Remember to stay calm and breathe, don't sweat it. Class should've been harder than an interview (they make me nervous too) so you'll be fine. You knew were you messed up, so just remember next time, stay calm and study before then. I still look over my notes and read my book, so I'm prepared for an interview. Goodluck! ^_^

Thank you i will keep that in mind, remaining calm in an interview is hard though especially if you havent been through an interview in almost four years. I will for sure take my time answering the questions though so i dont freeze up again.

Trayos

Forum Lieutenant
Thank you i will keep that in mind, remaining calm in an interview is hard though especially if you havent been through an interview in almost four years. I will for sure take my time answering the questions though so i dont freeze up again.
Do you have any friends who would be willing to vet you on some of the same questions that you had in the last interview? Practicing for some of the general, open-ended questions can really help.

OP
OP
E

emtstudent04

Forum Lieutenant
Do you have any friends who would be willing to vet you on some of the same questions that you had in the last interview? Practicing for some of the general, open-ended questions can really help.

Yes i do have a couple friends who said they will help me. I just couldn't believe that i froze up on those protocol questions because i knew them i just became so nervous and drew a blank.

Trayos

Forum Lieutenant
Yes i do have a couple friends who said they will help me. I just couldn't believe that i froze up on those protocol questions because i knew them i just became so nervous and drew a blank.
Like any physical activity, repetition will break down barriers and tension. As opposed to wanting muscle memory, you just need to have that little extra boost that comes from knowing "I practiced this. I'm going to do fine." This self-value can be seen by the interviewer, and will most definitely be taken as a positive value.

OP
OP
E

emtstudent04

Forum Lieutenant
Like any physical activity, repetition will break down barriers and tension. As opposed to wanting muscle memory, you just need to have that little extra boost that comes from knowing "I practiced this. I'm going to do fine." This self-value can be seen by the interviewer, and will most definitely be taken as a positive value.

Thank you for the advise, that was something i told my self as well was being repetitive because when you do that it gets beat into your head and almost becomes second nature to you. I guess i forgot that i told my self that and it just slipped my mind. I will deffinitly read my protocol's over and over again especially the one's i have a hard time remembering and the one's i froze up on in my interview today, so if i get asked them again it will come right out with no hesitation.

Trayos

Forum Lieutenant
Thank you for the advise, that was something i told my self as well was being repetitive because when you do that it gets beat into your head and almost becomes second nature to you. I guess i forgot that i told my self that and it just slipped my mind. I will deffinitly read my protocol's over and over again especially the one's i have a hard time remembering and the one's i froze up on in my interview today, so if i get asked them again it will come right out with no hesitation.

It sounds like you already know what you want to say and while you should still review it intensively, it is also good to prepare yourself psychologically for it.
A good morale booster is to write out a list of all your positive qualities on a sheet of paper (regardless how minor you think they may be). Look at it while studying, and remember that you are the right candidate for the position.
Best of luck!

OP
OP
E

emtstudent04

Forum Lieutenant
It sounds like you already know what you want to say and while you should still review it intensively, it is also good to prepare yourself psychologically for it.
A good morale booster is to write out a list of all your positive qualities on a sheet of paper (regardless how minor you think they may be). Look at it while studying, and remember that you are the right candidate for the position.
Best of luck!

Thank you i will do that. I really appreciate the advise.