Any Tips?

ffjohnson

Forum Ride Along
Hey guys I just got picked up with a BLS ambulance company and start Tuesday. I was wondering if anybody had any tips for me.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Show up on time.

Don't be lazy.

Don't be a toolbag.

:)

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
Go through the rig with ur fto. Get a copy and read the sop plus everything above

Joe

Forum Captain
Basically don't be a tool bag is all you need to know. Make sure you know your role on scene. Take vitals!

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Don't be a wallflower. Unless that's what your FTO wants for your first day.

Also, don't be a tool bag.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Be professional

Walk, talk, and act like a human being with a basic knowledge. dont be afraid to admit if your getting overwhelmed.

Be AT LEAST 15 minutes early

Dont be a toolbag

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Be AT LEAST 15 minutes early

On the other side of this, don't be TOO early either, unless you have administrative things that need to be sorted out.

1. If you have no clue what you are doing you aren't going to be a ton of help standing around the garage like a fence post for 30+ minutes.

2. Crews coming off shift more than likely have stuff they need to do and want to get home so they probably wont be real inclined to help you a whole lot.

3. At my service, you might be made fun of for being a toolbag :ph34r: Sorry couldn't resist.

All of this is based off my agency and how it runs, your mileage may vary.

medickat

Forum Crew Member
Be careful that the crew you're riding with doesn't try to playfully haze you :p

Know what's in your truck. If someone sends you for a piece of equipment that you've never heard of, don't go looking for it. It probably doesn't exist.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Don't avoid the boss. (S)he hired you, and if orientation is not working out, tell her/him.
And do bring doughnuts once you figure out if it's allowed.

Oh, and don't be a toolbag.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Don't avoid the boss. (S)he hired you, and if orientation is not working out, tell her/him.
And do bring doughnuts once you figure out if it's allowed.

Oh, and don't be a toolbag.

When doughnuts are against the rules only rule breakers will have doughnuts.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
and sugar in their moustaches.

MedicBrew

Forum Lieutenant
If your driving on your first day, don't throw your medic around. Breaking and accelerating are the worst. I don't throw things but I've been know to fill a ear canal(my driver's that is) with D50 after I've been bounced of a bulkhead or two.

and all the above

74restore

Forum Crew Member
Not looking to hijack this thread but: Someone want to define a "Toolbag" for me? Please excuse how green I really am...

TatuICU

Forum Lieutenant
Definitely grow a half beard and/or mustache. Oh, and carry scissors and extra pens so that when your partner inevitably loses all of his/hers' you'll be there to save the day! Plus, ya know, don't be a toolbag in a figurative sense. Definitely be a toolbag in a literal sense though.

TatuICU

Forum Lieutenant
If your driving on your first day, don't throw your medic around. Breaking and accelerating are the worst. I don't throw things but I've been know to fill a ear canal(my driver's that is) with D50 after I've been bounced of a bulkhead or two.

and all the above

Nothing ruins pants like rogue D50