Any Tips?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Dont take crap from anyone. I have seen people in EMS try and 'Haze" new employees.

Somebody got hazed when they were new... :unsure:

Zeroo

Forum Crew Member
Me an the OP are on the same boat. I just got a job today with patriots ambulance. He has saved me the delight of making a similar thread though. Anyways I will try not to be a tool bag lol. Also I sort of look forward to the hazing if any. I am a good sport and when my time comes I will also be having my share of fun. :)

Justice

Forum Crew Member

Negative. 6 years Army medic before I worked civilian EMS, they knew better.
I did see some people getting pushed around tho. Partners refusing to help clean up, check out vehicle. A good EMT/Medic grabs a new guy and shows them how to stock and clean then maybe steps back and makes sure they can handle it.

Whats gonna work? Teamwork

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Negative. 6 years Army medic before I worked civilian EMS, they knew better.
LOL That is definitely NOT a free pass to avoid "hazing"! (or agitation, to put it a little more friendly). In fact, a lot of former army medics I've come across tend to get it worse because a lot (though not all) of them have a fair amount of arrogance about them.
I did see some people getting pushed around tho. Partners refusing to help clean up, check out vehicle. A good EMT/Medic grabs a new guy and shows them how to stock and clean then maybe steps back and makes sure they can handle it.

Whats gonna work? Teamwork
That's not what I would consider hazing or agitation. That's being a ****.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anjel

Forum Angel
i know what that is... I thought there was some sort of EMS version of it that is different from the typical definition. Im overthinking things apparently

Don't act like you know better than any medics on a scene. Don't question them on scene. If you have a question ask them after. Just get whatever they need and fetch their stretcher.

Don't argue. If you don't know something...ask. Try and be helpful. Don't make your belt look like a handymans. All you need is the basics.

And don't put a light bar on your car or truck lol

Justice

Forum Crew Member
LOL That is definitely NOT a free pass to avoid "hazing"! (or agitation, to put it a little more friendly). In fact, a lot of former army medics I've come across tend to get it worse because a lot (though not all) of them have a fair amount of arrogance about them.

ehhh I think you need a better understanding of the situations an Army Medic can be put in. My first deployment, as an E-5 medic i was in charge of all medical care for 600 soliders. our FOB had no Doc or PA or even a nurse for 7 months. Just me and 2 other emdics and one has less the 2 years in. People in EMS could be a bit more sensitive to a returning combat vet and not call it arrogance. After being in situations i have been in, i dont ever get stressed at work. Thankfully where I work I could never complain as my coworkers have treated me with more respect then even I feel I deserve.

But Still point being I have seen them treat some of the younger guys in ways that dont belong in the workplace

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
ehhh I think you need a better understanding of the situations an Army Medic can be put in. My first deployment, as an E-5 medic i was in charge of all medical care for 600 soliders. our FOB had no Doc or PA or even a nurse for 7 months. Just me and 2 other emdics and one has less the 2 years in. People in EMS could be a bit more sensitive to a returning combat vet and not call it arrogance. After being in situations i have been in, i dont ever get stressed at work. Thankfully where I work I could never complain as my coworkers have treated me with more respect then even I feel I deserve.

But Still point being I have seen them treat some of the younger guys in ways that dont belong in the workplace

I've got a pretty decent understanding of what military medicine consists of. While I've never personally been in the military, the entire rest of my family has, including in medicine. I work with former army medics and navy corpsmen on a daily basis and consider many of them some of my closest friends. I have the utmost respect for ANYBODY who serves in the military and am extremely grateful for their service.

That being said. The civilian world is entirely different from the military. I understand that you are used to performing chest tubes and other surgical procedures as well as being the primary "doc" to a base or ship with little to no physician supervision (though that is definitely not the common setting). Unfortunately, when you leave the military, those opportunities disappear. You're now a civilian EMT (typically a basic). Your scope is as such. If you want to continue practicing at a higher level, enter a higher level of medicine. Until then, the condescending tone that seems so common among (for some reason exclusively) combat medics gets very old and tiresome. ESPECIALLY when so few are able to back up any procedure they are capable to perform with the knowledge that SHOULD accompany it (Yes, I know there are some EXTREMELY well educated medics, but again not the norm). It's not a matter of never getting stressed at work. It's the constant superiority complex that becomes frustrating and the target of hostility.

Again, I have tremendous respect for those who serve, in any branch. And Justice, seeing as you are/were military, that goes to you as well, thank you. My cousin fairly recently returned from Fallujah via the USMC, and I can't thank his brothers and sisters overseas enough for allowing him to come back (including the corpsmen who took care of him when he took shrapnel to his arm and back from an IED, luckily with no lasting injury). But the superiority complex displayed by many can certainly be toned down a bit.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
If the call you're on means someone needs to be the toolbag, be the best toolbag you can be. There are no absolutes in this business and checking your ego at the door is something everyone needs to attend to.

Justice

Forum Crew Member
I've got a pretty decent understanding of what military medicine consists of. While I've never personally been in the military, the entire rest of my family has, including in medicine. I work with former army medics and navy corpsmen on a daily basis and consider many of them some of my closest friends. I have the utmost respect for ANYBODY who serves in the military and am extremely grateful for their service.

That being said. The civilian world is entirely different from the military. I understand that you are used to performing chest tubes and other surgical procedures as well as being the primary "doc" to a base or ship with little to no physician supervision (though that is definitely not the common setting). Unfortunately, when you leave the military, those opportunities disappear. You're now a civilian EMT (typically a basic). Your scope is as such. If you want to continue practicing at a higher level, enter a higher level of medicine. Until then, the condescending tone that seems so common among (for some reason exclusively) combat medics gets very old and tiresome. ESPECIALLY when so few are able to back up any procedure they are capable to perform with the knowledge that SHOULD accompany it (Yes, I know there are some EXTREMELY well educated medics, but again not the norm). It's not a matter of never getting stressed at work. It's the constant superiority complex that becomes frustrating and the target of hostility.

Again, I have tremendous respect for those who serve, in any branch. And Justice, seeing as you are/were military, that goes to you as well, thank you. My cousin fairly recently returned from Fallujah via the USMC, and I can't thank his brothers and sisters overseas enough for allowing him to come back (including the corpsmen who took care of him when he took shrapnel to his arm and back from an IED, luckily with no lasting injury). But the superiority complex displayed by many can certainly be toned down a bit.

Listen dont take me the wrong way. Just like you respect Military medics I myself respect civilian Paramedics. I have never had the cardiac understanding a paramedic has. there was simply no need.

The only thing I want to get across is to some soldiers it's a coping mechanism. Some people are just A-holes and others can't let the war go. it takes time patience and help to go from 30 soldiers looking just at you while one guy lays bleeding out to being the new guy on a rig and being told to go get the stairchair.

Not making excuses for any medic that couldnt back up why he would perform an intervention. Classes are available online and schools are plentyful for any army medic. Some are lazy and don't take the time to learn.

Also in my experience anyone in the military that talks a lot about what the have done, more then likely hasn't done much.

Nothing but respect

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
and don't be a toolbag

:cool:

Steveb

Forum Lieutenant
Belt

Don't wear everything on your Belt.

MedicBrew

Forum Lieutenant

If I did half the crap that was done to me when I was a rookie now, I'd be out of a job these days.

Check all handles and knobs for KY..

DONT run to supply and say "I need fallopian tubes STAT!"

The doppler is not a "Brain wave monitor" (that didn't happen to me luckily)

I could go on but my counselor told me to let the past go.....

Justice

Forum Crew Member
When I was in Boot camp we had an amazing Drill that would spend all his time teaching us. He almost never raised his voice and not once spoke down to anyone. At graduation I asked him about this and he said "I know how hard my job is and I respect anyone with the courage to do what I do. talking down to someone just because they are new would cheapen me and what we do"

TatuICU

Forum Lieutenant
Dont take crap from anyone. I have seen people in EMS try and 'Haze" new employees.

Hey, do me a favor and go check the blinker fluid would ya?

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
Ok.. About the military comment.. If i had to pick between a combat medics or a civilian medic 99% percent of the time i want another military medic with me. Its nothing against civilian medics but i know for a fact that when crap hits the fan we can stay calm under extreme pressure. Like justice said when you have 30 guys looking at you to save ur battles life it gets stressful. We do a lot with very little medical supplies in very bad conditions and uncertainty on when we can get a medivac there for the injured service member. And these guys are our brothers and sisters and not some stranger. I have been hazed on the civilian side but it doesn't last long because most civilians don't like when u pull pranks on them..

Marty Mcfly

Forum Crew Member
Expect to have your equipment stolen by your co-workers while your in the crapper. Expect to receive a call 30 seconds before you clock out, while everyone else gets off on time. Expect the supervisors to care more about billing the patient than the care you provided them. Expect the dispatchers to have favorites. Please don't wear the jump bag on your belt, and don't wear a stethoscope around your neck, you'll look like an idiot. Use common sense please. And be the best toolbag you can be!

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
don't wear a stethoscope around your neck, you'll look like an idiot. Use common sense please.

Really?

May I ask why? I don't know about you but I routinely use my stethoscope and it's easier to keep it around my neck than it is to chase it around a scene or the back of the truck. Plus it can't get up and walk away from me...Do I wear it around my neck all the time? Absolutely not but it definitely does end up there.

I guess I look like an idiot along with all the nurses and doctors in the ER?

Ok.. About the military comment.. If i had to pick between a combat medics or a civilian medic 99% percent of the time i want another military medic with me. Its nothing against civilian medics but i know for a fact that when crap hits the fan we can stay calm under extreme pressure. Like justice said when you have 30 guys looking at you to save ur battles life it gets stressful. We do a lot with very little medical supplies in very bad conditions and uncertainty on when we can get a medivac there for the injured service member. And these guys are our brothers and sisters and not some stranger. I have been hazed on the civilian side but it doesn't last long because most civilians don't like when u pull pranks on them..

Fair enough however in a medical emergency personally I'd prefer a civilian medic with some experience. Nothing against military medics whatsoever, civilian medics tend to deal with those acutely ill patients who also have all the co-morbidities rather than young, fit, mostly healthy people. In a severe trauma I'd love to have a military medic around. Especially one with combat experience.