Any instructors around to answer a Q?

AndreaS

Forum Ride Along
Just wondering if there are any instructors for EMT-B (even better if from CO) that could answer a question for me? Not really appopriate for general eyes.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Not an instructor, but I can't think of much when it comes to info that only instructors are privy to.

Just ask it here and I guarantee you'll get a quicker response.

OP
OP
A

AndreaS

Forum Ride Along
OK, here we go....

Not an instructor, but I can't think of much when it comes to info that only instructors are privy to.

Just ask it here and I guarantee you'll get a quicker response.

You know...I wasn't going to because it was way personal....But, I think I will. At least in the hope that it won't happen to anyone else.

Here we go...

Last August I gave birth to my son who was 10 weeks early. I can't say that it was completely unexpected because earlier in the week I had been admitted to the hospital, per doc directions, three times for possible amniotic fluid leakage. I was diagnosed by three hospital doctors as being in the early stages of labor yet my own physician sent me home twice. After the second time I went home for three days. On the third day I went to work and lasted 4 hours because I went home thinking I had to "poop"....(as I am sure most of you realize is a sign of labor):blush:...this being my first child I just thought I wasn't feeling well. I made it to the hospital in time to have him in thirty minutes. That began our hospital fiasco.

On all premature infants our city hospital is mandated to collect the first stool (the meconium) and send it off to be tested for alcohol and drugs. This test is sometimes faulty and doesn't give you the exact degree of the substance in the stool (as told by the neonatoligist). A few weeks into my sons three month stay I get a visit from a hospital counseler informing me that my son had tested postive for alcohol. Of course I was furious because I don't drink and now I had the stress of not only a child in the NICU but this going on (not to mention I had an extreme case of post partum). I was a wreck to say the least. To make a long story short....I found out it could've been from a UTI that I had had while pregnant. The case worker from Child Protective services met with me and collected all of my medical records showing the UTI's. I was cleared from the allegations and the case was labeled "unfounded". Here's the kicker.....

After the case was closed I get a call from my doc office saying four other ladies from their office had had the exact same thing happen with them at this particular hospital and the NICU. With a bit of investigation my doctor discovered that it was from the nurses using the alcohol hand sanitizer that is in each bed space. From my months of pretty much being there 24/7 they used this hand sanitizer in the place of some good old hand washing. When they had collected the stool the hand sanitizer had leaked through the diaper and caused faulty readings.

I contacted the case worker and she told me that the case was still "unfounded" and that was that. I myself think that I could've pressed some serious charges. But, let's be realisitic. This is a giant hospital that is part of a huge health system and my little old lawyers most likely wouldn't have penetrated the system. Who knows. I just want the whole thing behind me.

Now you ask yourself how this long story involves EMT? Well, it does. In the state of Colorado you have to have background checks to be enrolled in the EMT programs. There are two seperate schools I have looked into and I contacted one of the program directors and explained this whole situation. I was worried my "unfounded" case (in my opinion it should be labeled "unjustified" or "oops the hospitals f*$k up") would pop up on the background check. He told me not to worry and he was sure everything would be peachy. Well I can't help but worry about this. Would if be pesty or strange of me to either talk to him again or meet with the other schools director and ask them if I could have my background check before the classes start? I don't want to waste time and money that I could be in a different program.

I can't believe I typed all of that. But, there you go....

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Some sort of wager says this guy either has a DUI, some felony conviction or seizures or is moving to California and wants to know how to get the DL51 completed for his ambulance driver endorsment?

....... I mean thats how 99% of these threads go isin't it? :D

OP
OP
A

AndreaS

Forum Ride Along
Some sort of wager says this guy either has a DUI, some felony conviction or seizures or is moving to California and wants to know how to get the DL51 completed for his ambulance driver endorsment?

....... I mean thats how 99% of these threads go isin't it? :D

Aren't you a precious little thing??? B)

JPINFV

Gadfly
Probably your best option would be to find out who the background check is done through and contact them directly.

OP
OP
A

AndreaS

Forum Ride Along
Probably your best option would be to find out who the background check is done through and contact them directly.

I never thought of that. I am sure it's all going to be fine like the program director said. It's just one of those things that makes you so angry that you can't let it go.

HNutley

Forum Probie
Hey Andrea:

I am an instructor from South Dakota and here is what I can tell you about allegations like that and from personal experience. If there is an allegation like the one you were accused of and it is unfounded it is usually kept in the system with Department of Social Services or other entity like that for 30 days. The reason for the 30 days is in case something else comes up related to the allegation other caseworkers will know the details and what has been investigated. After the 30 days then the allegation is dropped from the system. If there is a back ground check and it has been past the 30 days then there is nothing to find in the system.

On the flip side. If the allegation has merit then depending on where you live, i.e. what state will depend on the charges, convictions etc and how long the conviction stays on the record.

From the instructor point of view. If you were cleared and knowing the back ground of your situation I would not make a big deal of it.

In short, contact the case worker and ask her how long this stays on the system before it is expunged.:)

flhtci01

Forum Captain
In short, contact the case worker and ask her how long this stays on the system before it is expunged.

AndreaS

As a foster & adoptive parent in Illinois, I agree with HNutley. It's unfounded, so I would not worry about it. It just means that it was investigated and there was no merit to the accusation.

FWIW, I know people who have called DCFS for the pettiest of reasons (like they didn't think the person was a good parent) that are investigated and end up as unfounded.

eveningsky339

Forum Lieutenant
My experience does not necessarily pertain to EMS, but to the situation as a whole.

I have a good friend who had a... eh... interesting parent. This parent called DHS numerous times saying that she was abusing her child, etc. They came in and did an investigation and thought the whole thing was a joke. Even though these little adventures are listed on my friend's record as unfounded, it in no way bars her from employment.

At an elementary school. Working with disabled children.

So yeah, there isn't much to the whole "unfounded" status.

Take a deep breath, enjoy some Sleepy Time tea, and take comfort in the knowledge that this whole fiasco you had to deal with is now nothing more than a bad memory. :)

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
It is my understanding that having something on your background check doesn't immediately prevent you from continuing in the EMT-B program anyways. They consider each individual situation and I'm sure if something did come up I imagine you would have the opportunity to explain. Especially since there wasn't a conviction, and you have been upfront about your concerns from the start. It wouldn't seem like you were trying to hide something and making up excuses after being caught.

PS: really hope those nurses actually do wash their hands. Hand sanitizers don't get rid of a lot of things like C.Diff. One problem I see with having a dispenser outside every door - not educating your staff on the fact that they still need to wash their hands.

I have had patients ask me if I've washed my hands since seeing the last patient. This doesn't offend me because I can tell them that yes I have since I make a habit of washing my hands prior to leaving a room, and because they're being proactive about their own safety. I'm not quite bold enough to do this myself but it's not a bad idea if you are a patient yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
An unfounded accusation shouldn't hurt you. Children's Services investigate lots of cases, since they have to look into every complaint. I'd check and see if this even comes up when someone queries the state central registry or equivalent.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
OH, By the way, not sure what programs you're looking in to but at HealthONE we just needed to complete one of these: CBI background check and turn in proof. It costs $6.85.

Arrests which are not supported by fingerprints will not be included in this database.

Think you're in the clear there. Near the end of class we needed to be finger-printed and have those submitted to the CDPHE for state certification.

So unless you were finger-printed, you're probably good.

Now, more recently, for my CNA class, I underwent a much more thorough background check by American DataBank. Perhaps other programs or even the program I attended are now doing this too. It cost like $80. I have a copy of my report. They contacted or searched:

-My high school to see if I really attended - confirmed dates and my diploma.
-My former and current employers - confirm dates of employment.
-Medicare/Medicaid Excluded List
-My motor vehicle record.
-Nationwide sex offender search
-"OFAC Database", which according to them includes:
Australian Reserve Bank Businesses Individuals, Bank of England Sanctions, Commodity Futures Trading Commission List of Regulatory and Self-Regulatory Authorities, FBI Fugitives 10 Most Wanted, FBI Most Wanted Terrorists, FBI Monthly Most Wanted, Financial Crimes Enforcement Network Special Alert List, Foreign Agent Registrations, International Police Most Wanted (INTERPOL), Office of Foreign Asset Control (OFAC), OFAC Enhanced Sanctioned Countries, Office of Comptroller of the Currency, Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions Canada (OSFI), Palestinian Legislative Council, Politically Exposed Persons (PEP), State Department Terrorist Exclusions, Terrorists Inside of European Union, Terrorists Outside of European Union, United Nations Named Terrorists, US Bureau of Industry and Security Unverified List, US Bureau of Industry and Security Denied Entity List, US Bureau of Industry and Security Denied Person List and World Bank Ineligible Firms.
-"OIG"
Searches for violations of Medicare, Medicaid and other Federally funded programs. Exclusions include convictions for program related fraud, patient abuse, default on health education assisted loans and licensing board actions. This search is conducted through the databases maintained by the Office of Inspector General (OIG) and the General Services Administration (GSA)
-SSN/residency history
-Statewide criminal background

Last edited by a moderator: