Any EMS agencies using a "Scribe" type system for pcr's?

KJC11

Forum Ride Along
Hi-

New to the forum- wondering if there are any EMS agencies currently using a "Scribe" type system for patient care reports?

Thanks

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Maybe be a little more descriptive of what you're looking for? Scribe as in the person who takes notes for the doc in the ED?

OP
OP
K

KJC11

Forum Ride Along
In essence what I am looking for is - when a crew completes a call, they forward a completed case card of the call with appropriate signatures and also call into a "voicemail" type system to dictate the narrative portion of the patient care report to be actually typed out by a third party elsewhere within the company.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Much clearer. Thanks

I've never heard of a system like that in EMS.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
I think the nature of the work requires more timely report writing than a transcription service would provide. I know our billing dept mandates PCRs to be done prior to clearing hospital (for billing) and docs want the same (for medical care).

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Never heard of dictation for EMS. Sounds like a nightmare honestly.
This. I could understand a speech to text software that would allow the provider to view what he/she said right away but not having it sent away for another person to type.

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
Kinda interesting notion for services trying to plow crews back into service. Never heard of it being done but I don't see why it couldn't be.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Didn't Arcadian use a dictation system for a while? I think Kelly Grayson talked about it...

I use my text to speech on my phone to dictate my narrative and then cut/paste to the PCR.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Didn't Arcadian use a dictation system for a while? I think Kelly Grayson talked about it...

I use my text to speech on my phone to dictate my narrative and then cut/paste to the PCR.
What PCR system did you/are you using where this can be done?

NomadicMedic

What PCR system did you/are you using where this can be done?

Every PCR system I've ever used lets you cut and paste to the narrative section. ImageTrend, CodeRed, EmergencyReporting and Zoll RescueNet.

As long as you follow the HIPAA safe harbor standards, there is no issue with creating your narrative this way.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Every PCR system I've ever used lets you cut and paste to the narrative section. ImageTrend, CodeRed, EmergencyReporting and Zoll RescueNet.

As long as you follow the HIPAA safe harbor standards, there is no issue with creating your narrative this way.
Ours won't let us cut and paste and there is no way for us to use it on our phones :/

NomadicMedic

Ours won't let us cut and paste and there is no way for us to use it on our phones :/

That sucks. I can whip out a VERY detailed narrative quickly on my phone, a LOT quicker than I can by trying to type on the ToughPad's awful screen keyboard.

JPINFV

Gadfly
One thing to remember is that with scribe/dictation based systems (really, they're close to the same, just different technology) is that the physician is still required to sign off on the final product. With dictations, rarely that requires no editing and rarely requires redictating the report, how ever the vast majority of time I still have to go in and do some mild to significant editing to get it to read how I want to read it.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
One thing to remember is that with scribe/dictation based systems (really, they're close to the same, just different technology) is that the physician is still required to sign off on the final product. With dictations, rarely that requires no editing and rarely requires redictating the report, how ever the vast majority of time I still have to go in and do some mild to significant editing to get it to read how I want to read it.
Typing at a decent speed is becoming more and more common among younger people (and others too); are you seeing any difference in how interns/residents complete their reports compared to older doctors, or is that even an option?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Typing at a decent speed is becoming more and more common among younger people (and others too); are you seeing any difference in how interns/residents complete their reports compared to older doctors, or is that even an option?

My hospital still uses paper charts for the day to day notes, but the discharge summary, procedure notes, and admission/consults for some services are still required to be dictated. Unfortunately, for our current system there isn't a way for us to manually enter those notes. That said, and while I do type fairly quickly, I can easily dictate a discharge summary faster (and let someone else do the general formatting) much quicker than I can type it out.