Any advice for a new medic?

SupertOConnor

Forum Ride Along
Hey friends, I have been an AEMT at a busy 911 service for about 5 years now. I'm currently in medic school and have about 4 months until graduation. I'm doing well in class, I have most all of my drug info down and am pretty good in ACLS. I want some advice from the community tho. What would you do differently if you could go back to being a brand new medic? What do you wish you knew at the beginning that you know now? What do you think is important for new for medics to know?

Thanks everyone!

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I wish I really knew all the things I thought I knew when I got started. SupertOConor, keep an open mind and consider the possibility that someone without your training might be smarter than you.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I trust my EMT to get me to the hospital without killing me. Aside from that... not much else to trust. They perform BLS, the Basic Lifting Service.
seems to be common theme among providers who work on ambulances that are staffed EMT/Paramedic crews, compared to EMT/EMT and paramedic/paramedic crews.....

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
seems to be common theme among providers who work on ambulances that are staffed EMT/Paramedic crews, compared to EMT/EMT and paramedic/paramedic crews.....
I trust a lot of the EMTs I work with significant portions of the call. But at the end of the day, who gets called on the carpet when something goes wrong on an EMT/Medic ambulance?

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
If it makes you feel any better, I often feel the same when when I work double medic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
TEACH your EMT to be better; I worked with a great medic who taught me to be a good EMT, and in turn I did the same thing with my partners when I became a medic.
Working busy 911 and IFT services: basic always evaluated the patient, I got paperwork, and talked to the family Nothing on pt evaluation needs a medic there.
I actually liked working with new EMT's cause there were less bad habits to break them from doing.
Treat your partner like they are something better than Basic Lifting Service: That is BS.

epipusher

Forum Asst. Chief
I trust a lot of the EMTs I work with significant portions of the call. But at the end of the day, who gets called on the carpet when something goes wrong on an EMT/Medic ambulance?
This sums it up perfectly.