AMR's mass hire event in CT

BillyBonebrake

Forum Probie
I just got back from AMR's New Haven facility. They hosted two days of 100+ candidates applying for approximately 50 part time slots across Connecticut. It was a 100 question written exam, 2 practical stations (trauma & medical), and a 15 minute face-to-face interview. The staff were very thorough & professional. Now I wait ... along with a whole lot of others.

Before this "interview" I combed the forum trying to gather any info on how things are done by AMR in this area. No luck. But now I know. And it is an entirely different protocol from other parts of the country. For on thing, they're not satisfied with your NREMT certificate. They want you to test again.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I just got back from AMR's New Haven facility. They hosted two days of 100+ candidates applying for approximately 50 part time slots across Connecticut. It was a 100 question written exam, 2 practical stations (trauma & medical), and a 15 minute face-to-face interview. The staff were very thorough & professional. Now I wait ... along with a whole lot of others.

Before this "interview" I combed the forum trying to gather any info on how things are done by AMR in this area. No luck. But now I know. And it is an entirely different protocol from other parts of the country. For on thing, they're not satisfied with your NREMT certificate. They want you to test again.

Pretty much AMR anywhere will make you take a test that is around 100-160 questions.

The local AMR in my area make you test with a 100-160 question test and our scope of practice is well below the NREMT.

leoemt

Forum Captain
I found the test to be easy. It is only about 80 questions of BLS content, the rest is Personality Trait questions. You will find that most companies will have you take a test of some kind.

If you get hired you will have to go through a Urine test and a physical agility test.

Good luck.

OP
OP
B

BillyBonebrake

Forum Probie
There were no personality trait questions, it was 100% BLS questions. No mention of pee test or physical ability tests but that should come as no surprise to anyone who gets past this hurdle. Now the wait ... ugh ... the wait.

leoemt

Forum Captain
There were no personality trait questions, it was 100% BLS questions. No mention of pee test or physical ability tests but that should come as no surprise to anyone who gets past this hurdle. Now the wait ... ugh ... the wait.

Strange, must have been a different test. I thought it was a company wide standard test. Each division must create their own test.

traumaluv2011

Forum Lieutenant
One of my bunkmates applied. He said it wasn't that bad. He will see. I thought about applying, but I only have a little over a year of experience as an EMT.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Any idea what AMR pays in CT?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
One of my bunkmates applied. He said it wasn't that bad. He will see. I thought about applying, but I only have a little over a year of experience as an EMT.

Apply anyway! Many companies don't want experience so they can train you "their" way. You have nothing to lose, and why not make money doing what you like?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader

Bunkmates? Live in program in CT?

And yeah, most AMR ops give a written test - nothing crazy.

Glider

Forum Probie
I was there at New Haven on Monday as well (1-4)

It was a very straight forward and well-run interview process (considering the numbers).

Will post if/when I hear back

Glider

Forum Probie
Any idea what AMR pays in CT?

My interviewer told me something like this for an EMT-B

Bridgeport:
Starting: ~16/hr
6 Months: ~19/hr
1 year+: ~22/hr

New Haven was similar, but slightly because they are unionized.

DeWolfe

Forum Ride Along
I have just recently received certification, I have started to work at a volunteer company. Do these companies want brand new people with no experience?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I have just recently received certification, I have started to work at a volunteer company. Do these companies want brand new people with no experience?

I can't say specifically for AMR Connecticut, but I know of many companies that have no issue with hiring EMTs right out of school so that they can train them in the "company way" and not worry about previously learned bad habits. There is no reason to wait to apply unless the company is only seeking experienced providers.

rbromme

Forum Crew Member

A large portion of the people that were at the interview have little to no experience. If you want to work, apply. You can't win if you don't play. Bridgeport is not union but the other divisions pay rates can be googled by looking for the CBA.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
My interviewer told me something like this for an EMT-B

Bridgeport:
Starting: ~16/hr
6 Months: ~19/hr
1 year+: ~22/hr

New Haven was similar, but slightly because they are unionized.

Thanks! Much appreciate the info.