AMR's Fate

BayareaMedic

Forum Probie
I heard recently that AMR lost ALCO,SCCO kaiser contracts. Anyone know about this? They lost 911 contracts in both of those areas, now BLS? That's gotta hurt if its true.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
They lost ALCO a long time ago, not news there.

AMR is in many states. They aren't really hurting.

JPINFV

Gadfly
AMR's fate is that it will have more peaks and troughs than a sine wave.

Last edited by a moderator:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
They lost ALCO a long time ago, not news there.

AMR is in many states. They aren't really hurting.

Same.

AMR is an extremely big company so there is really no fear of waking up one day and not having a job. Even tho they lose contracts they are still gaining some and at the same time buying out other ambulance companies.

OP
OP
B

BayareaMedic

Forum Probie
I get as a company overall they aren't hurting, but it seems like slowly their contracts are slipping away. It was said that ALCO accounted for some 40% of AMR's overall income. Im sure loosing BLS contracts isn't helping the matter

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
I get as a company overall they aren't hurting, but it seems like slowly their contracts are slipping away. It was said that ALCO accounted for some 40% of AMR's overall income. Im sure loosing BLS contracts isn't helping the matter

There are many counties that haven't had the pleasure and need to be taught a lesson... AMR is targeting them next... :p

I've heard from a couple of LA city fire guys that AMR is negotiating with the city of LA about taking over the EMS system in Los Angeles. Apparently they are trying to show the city how much money would be saved if they made the switch to AMR. I've also heard that's why the upcoming UCLA-Daniel Freeman class was cancelled for this very reason while things get situated. This is all hearsay mind you. Any input or factual information would be greatly appreciated.

Anjel

Forum Angel
They failed in michigan. They came, took everyone over, and left. Now there is one small branch all the way at the top of the mitten.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Yea i was thinking about that once i posted. Still way over there lol

I was thinking of something else.

Im tired lol

bleedblue

Forum Ride Along
Having had AMR come in and try to run this county twice, I can tell you that no matter what happens... SOMEONE will come in and take over EMS in your neck of the woods... and they usually hire from the previous employees for the previous company... at least here they do. The only exception to this rule is when fire departments take over transport... and you know what you have to do to make sure that doesn't happen... go work for a fire dept.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
I've heard from a couple of LA city fire guys that AMR is negotiating with the city of LA about taking over the EMS system in Los Angeles. Apparently they are trying to show the city how much money would be saved if they made the switch to AMR. I've also heard that's why the upcoming UCLA-Daniel Freeman class was cancelled for this very reason while things get situated. This is all hearsay mind you. Any input or factual information would be greatly appreciated.

It would be an enormus amount, think about it the LAcity FFs make an enormus amount in Salary, couple that with there pension/benefits and the equipment. The city would save Millions. LAcities EMS division does not recoup the Cost it takes to run EMS, with its transport fees.

Last edited by a moderator:

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Too big to fail...
Oh wait...

Umm, Pan AM, Pontiac, Kodak...

Exactly, when you get to the top of the hill there are a lot of people looking to knock you off. Never assume a company won't fail just because they're bigger than everyone else. Often it is a companies size that eventually causes their downfall. This happens all the time in the Airline industry and there are many parallels between the way airlines grow and the way AMR has grown.

BF2BC EMT

Forum Crew Member

We can only hope so. Maybe other counties will take note.

mike1390

Forum Captain

Dont believe this for one second.