AMR Riverside Strike!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BASICallyEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
Just wanted to see if anyone has been contacted to come work in Riverside County to cover our strike? I know Doctors Ambulance is on the list.
IMG_20190403_142627_947.jpg

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
looks like some double time shifts will be opening up...

OP
OP
BASICallyEMT

BASICallyEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
looks like some double time shifts will be opening up...
Yup plenty of double time right now without the strike... AMR is having problems even staffing Coachella.. I doubt AMR is going to be able to meet staffing per county contract. AMR wants a fight and they got one.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I hope the author of that letter negotiates better than he or she writes. Put your best foot forward if you're going to fight a large corporation entity, it all matters.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Yup plenty of double time right now without the strike... AMR is having problems even staffing Coachella.. I doubt AMR is going to be able to meet staffing per county contract. AMR wants a fight and they got one.
I will admit that going on strike right around the festival times is a good time to really make AMR come to the table and quick. Not only will they have the issue of possibly not making county contract terms but also not being able to staff the festivals up to contracted levels.

I do know that for the festivals they were really trying to limit the number of Riverside division employees utilized. So we shall see.

OP
OP
BASICallyEMT

BASICallyEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
I hope the author of that letter negotiates better than he or she writes. Put your best foot forward if you're going to fight a large corporation entity, it all matters.
Yeah... You are not the first to mention that. I can't speak on that issue lol

OP
OP
BASICallyEMT

BASICallyEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
I will admit that going on strike right around the festival times is a good time to really make AMR come to the table and quick. Not only will they have the issue of possibly not making county contract terms but also not being able to staff the festivals up to contracted levels.

I do know that for the festivals they were really trying to limit the number of Riverside division employees utilized. So we shall see.
I just hope other divisions support our cause and don't cross the line.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I haven't heard anything in Santa Clara County, but we are also Local 4911. AMR is doing awful up here, moral is at an all time low (even lower than when it was Rural/Metro), and double time is the norm up here (they've been regularly offering double time for 3 years I think almost as soon as they attempted to lay off paramedics, and I was told it was cheaper to offer us double time or mandate us to work on our days off than it is to hire more paramedics). If we could strike, we probably would. It has been extremely tense up here. They are offering $5,000 sign on bonus to paramedics and supposedly a $2,500 (when Rural/Metro did this, they just didn't hire anybody who was referred).

Good luck guys! I know all of us up North will support you guys.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Bummer for those that call 911 and need help...
Yeh, it really is. I think there will always be somebody that can respond and transport even if BLS or fire. I think it's a real shame that these private companies try to take advantage of the nature of our jobs, treat us like skat, generally pay us poorly, and so on. It's worse that paramedics are showing up sick because they can't afford to call out sick, get disciplined for calling out sick, and not making a survivable wage in their area with old school people or pro company people saying "You knew what you were signing up for" as if it is OK for us to get new medics every couple of years and treat paramedicine like a stepping stone, but then at the same time say "Bummer that you guys aren't helping the people that need you." I hate how the blame is always placed on us rather than these shady private companies who clearly do not care about patients or the public. I hope that is not what you intended with what you said, but I get worked up thinking about it, lol.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
AMR will set up or is already in the process of setting up contracts with other operations to keep the area fully staffed. This isn’t the first time AMR has had to deal with it and it’s not going to be the last.

OP
OP
BASICallyEMT

BASICallyEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
Bro.. us being level 0 or having 20+ mile responses is the norm... We are tired of being ran into the ground, getting off late, being low moraled.. Our division is their cash cow & its time for us to be treated fairly.

Last edited:

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Bro.. us being level 0 or having 20+ mile repsponses is the norm... We are tired of being ran into the ground, getting off late, being low moraled.. Our division is their cash cow & its time for us to be treated fairly.
Woah, you sound like us! I think I average getting off late at least 1-2 hours every single day on top of being mandated to work on my days off otherwise face discipline. Like I get that we are going to get late calls every once in awhile, that happened to me at other operations, and I'd get mad, but it wasn't every single day. I think I get off on time like once every month or two? It's ridiculous even if I am used to it. No respect to my personal time.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Yeh, it really is. I think there will always be somebody that can respond and transport even if BLS or fire. I think it's a real shame that these private companies try to take advantage of the nature of our jobs, treat us like skat, generally pay us poorly, and so on. It's worse that paramedics are showing up sick because they can't afford to call out sick, get disciplined for calling out sick, and not making a survivable wage in their area with old school people or pro company people saying "You knew what you were signing up for" as if it is OK for us to get new medics every couple of years and treat paramedicine like a stepping stone, but then at the same time say "Bummer that you guys aren't helping the people that need you." I hate how the blame is always placed on us rather than these shady private companies who clearly do not care about patients or the public. I hope that is not what you intended with what you said, but I get worked up thinking about it, lol.
There is a union AMR operation in CA that will not clear you in for end of shift until they are at least level 5. If they clear you in and the system drops to level 4 then you get reposted. Talk about a ****ty system.

OP
OP
BASICallyEMT

BASICallyEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
Damn we would never go home lol
There is a union AMR operation in CA that will not clear you in for end of shift until they are at least level 5. If they clear you in and the system drops to level 4 then you get reposted. Talk about a ****ty system.

Status
Not open for further replies.