AMR or American Ambulance?

cook

Forum Ride Along
Hey fellow EMS brethren! I'm in need of your opinions. I was just offered a position with AMR yesterday, and I have an interview with American Ambulance on the 28th. So far, I've had nothing but good experiences with AMR's employees, and I've had some fickle experiences with American Ambulance. However, I'd like outside sources and opinions from people who've already worked with them, or have close friends/family/loved ones who've worked with them before. Thanks in advance!

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Hey fellow EMS brethren! I'm in need of your opinions. I was just offered a position with AMR yesterday, and I have an interview with American Ambulance on the 28th. So far, I've had nothing but good experiences with AMR's employees, and I've had some fickle experiences with American Ambulance. However, I'd like outside sources and opinions from people who've already worked with them, or have close friends/family/loved ones who've worked with them before. Thanks in advance!

Can you give us a sense of where you are, and where you're looking? To my knowledge there's an American and AMR in Florida, Boston and CA...

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Can you give us a sense of where you are, and where you're looking? To my knowledge there's an American and AMR in Florida, Boston and CA...

OP is in Fresno, CA

CentralCalEMT

Forum Captain
Are you talking about American Ambulance Fresno or American Ambulance of Visalia, both of which are different company?

American Ambulance Visalia is a good company. I have several friends who work there and all of them like it. Two of them left other companies to go to them. They have a good reputation and have good equipment. They run mainly newer ford van ambulances which is typical for the county. They have relatively new lifepack 12s an power gurneys. Their work schedule is a hybrid combination of 12s and 24s averaging 48 hours per week. Their call volume is high so you will be running a lot.

American Ambulance Fresno has a good reputation but I do not personally know anyone who works for them. I do know that all people start out in the metro system with 12 hour shifts.

OP
OP
C

cook

Forum Ride Along
I'm actually talking about two different locations; the AMR in Visalia, and the American Ambulance in Fresno. But in general, knowing the reputation of both companies helps too.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I heard American Ambulance has their own helicopter

I know absolutely nothing about this company, but so, so unlikely. Small private EMS companies with their own helicopters would be totally out of the norm. High capital to start out, huge liability, and competition from enormous corporations.

terrible one

Always wandering
I know absolutely nothing about this company, but so, so unlikely. Small private EMS companies with their own helicopters would be totally out of the norm. High capital to start out, huge liability, and competition from enormous corporations.

Hall ambulance (the private company in kern county, just south of Fresno) has their own helicopter. Although I do agree with your statement.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Huh. Well, I hereby eat my words. I'd say that would teach me, but chances are I'll insert my foot into my mouth in a few days again.

terrible one

Always wandering
Huh. Well, I hereby eat my words. I'd say that would teach me, but chances are I'll insert my foot into my mouth in a few days again.

Learning process. I do it everyday too.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Not to take this too far off track, but as far as I'm aware only Acadian (Air Med Services, LLC) actually owns an air ambulance company.

All of the others, including those mentioned in this thread, partner with an Air EVAC provider.

Whether it's Roger's Helicopters (American Ambulance) or Air Methods (Hall Ambulance), these are private EMS providers referring patients to private Air EVAC providers.

In some cases you'll find that the air service relies on the private provider to provide clinicians, but that isn't always the case.

CentralCalEMT

Forum Captain
American Ambulance as some people have said does provide medical staff for the Helicopters. They have Skylife 4 out of Visalia which covers Tulare and Kings counties and Skylife 1 out of Fresno which covers Fresno and Madera County.