ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
OP
OP
MEDicJohn

MEDicJohn

Forum Crew Member
Could it make a long distance transfer without needing a charge, especially while powering things in the box?
all it says is that it has a 86kWh battery capacity, where a tesla model 3 has an 80kWh and a range of 220 mile range. Like you said though the tesla isn't powering all patient care equipment in the back though so not sure

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Well the diesel and gas powered ambulances can't make it thru a full day without needed to refuel here either....

At the hospital, in theory at least, an electric ambulance should be able to plug in and get some recharge while the crew is transferring patient care, especially for thise areas where hour long wall times are common.

If anything, the rural services where they can go back to their Station and have time in between calls to plug in and recharge are as likely to keep a good battery level as town ambulances who are constantly bouncing from call to call to street corner post to post to call to post and whatnot for an entire shift.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Love the concept. Some optionality - like a diesel hybrid - would probably be my preference for these early days of mass use of electrics.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
When I was at AMR, I couldn't even work a shift in the city without replacing a cot battery.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Love the concept. Some optionality - like a diesel hybrid - would probably be my preference for these early days of mass use of electrics.
Hybrids seem to make more sense...especially in states that can't generate enough power for their own use. A hybrid would definitely be more flexible

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
The hardest part on our contract would be the posting. But for transfer cars? This seems like a no brainer.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
The hardest part on our contract would be the posting. But for transfer cars? This seems like a no brainer.

Maybe a small generator unit or a battery bank for that. Transfer units in an urban or suburban setting for sure, would be a good use case.

Fastfrankie19151

Forum Crew Member
Sorry still seems too unreliable one little thing goes wrong and the truck is dead yes it can happen with a gas or diesel rig but those are way more reliable. Maybe if it had a regular engine as a back up.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Sorry still seems too unreliable one little thing goes wrong and the truck is dead yes it can happen with a gas or diesel rig but those are way more reliable. Maybe if it had a regular engine as a back up.
Can’t say any diesel ambulance I’ve worked in could have ever been called reliable.