Ambulance Ride Alongs!

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Normally I don't mind a no hitter. Haven't had one in a couple of months, but come on this day could not drag on anymore.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Normally I don't mind a no hitter. Haven't had one in a couple of months, but come on this day could not drag on anymore.

The days you wanna run are always slow and the ones where you need a break always end up the busiest.

After Bob died I was dumb and was out/up all night between shifts with my friend who was in a worse place than me, ran my tail off the next day, had multiple fire crews tell me "I've never seen that look in your eyes before...you looked dead, fire was gone".

Last edited by a moderator:

cruiseforever

Forum Asst. Chief
No unfortunately I don't. I have applied for GC but, they have sent me an email stating that they prefer EMT-Bs advancing to paramedic school. I prefer not to. I am starting surgical tech program in the fall. I do live in STC. I did apply at Allina for an open position in Hutchinson. They called me and told me that they have forwarded my application to the hiring manager. That was two weeks ago. I have not heard from Allina since then. "I think that they decided to move forward with another candidate." However, I did apply with a staffing agency in the Twin Cities. That will hire temp EMTs or RNs, MAs, etc. the company I applied for is called Clinicor. They would call and tell me that they need EMTs at a major convention or sporting or concert venue or sometimes a ambulance agency if they are short staffed. But they say that is uncommon. "I think that would help me get the foot in the door." But when you first get out of training it is hard to find a job as an EMT. Because they prefer 1 to 2 years experience.:rofl: I am also going to volunteer at a large christian music festival in Willmar In July. That will at least give me some patient contacts. They see over 300-400 pts. a year. With minor illnesses. sunburns, dehydration, diabetic, and allergy cases. So Do you work for any company? And what city are you from?:unsure:

I work for Allina. You can try Buffalo also.

spnjsquad

Forum Crew Member
It's not that unusual, trust me. A very small town next to me only gets about 1-2 calls per day (24hrs). Us, however are a bit larger (about 6 sqare miles larger) and we get anywhere from 4-10 a day. It all varies; I have been on shifts where you are just waiting for what seems like forever and no calls will come. Other days, you pretty much don't even have a chance to get out of the ambulance because you're constantly running calls haha.

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
We have frequent no-hit shifts.. When I was in school and we had to get our ride alongs in, we were told to sign up with the local ambulance service that is run out of a hospital, because they double as ER techs. They told us it would be the only way to get our patient contacts in. They were right, and I barely got 6 contacts in. I actually had to wander around the ICU soliciting the charge nurse for permission to take vitals on their patients.

No hitters is where I sit and knit wool newborn hats for the rigs' OB kits.

OP
OP
G

GoldcrossEMTbasic

Forum Lieutenant
My last ride along was to the chinese restaurant in the rig and then back to the station. No 911 call just on lunch. I'm glad they had WI-FI at the station, because I would've started to polish O2 tanks and replace toilet paper in the restroom.:rofl: But it happens.

OP
OP
G

GoldcrossEMTbasic

Forum Lieutenant
My last ride along was to the chinese restaurant in the rig and then back to the station. No 911 call just on lunch. I'm glad they had WI-FI at the station, because I would've started to polish O2 tanks and replacing toilet paper in the restrooms.:rofl:

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Has any other EMTs out there ever worked or have done ride alongs with a company with no calls?

All the time at the campus that I volunteer at.

For my paid job, I did one 12 hour shift once where there were no calls. Scary stuff! :p

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
The best is when you're about to have a no hitter, and suddenly get a call at the end of your shift that makes you get out late...<_<

spnjsquad

Forum Crew Member
The best is when you're about to have a no hitter, and suddenly get a call at the end of your shift that makes you get out late...<_<
I actually love when this happens haha.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Some of us like to go home and see our families, too. It doesn't happen very often doing 911 now, but when I did private ambulance interfacility, it was a common occurrence to get home two or three hours late, every shift

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Eh, I can still see both sides. Being young and single, I don't mind getting late calls and an hour or two of OT. I can absolutely see how it would be aggravating for everyone else who has a reason to get off on time though, so I'll always offer to take the late call when I'm working.

spnjsquad

Forum Crew Member
Eh, I can still see both sides. Being young and single, I don't mind getting late calls and an hour or two of OT. I can absolutely see how it would be aggravating for everyone else who has a reason to get off on time though, so I'll always offer to take the late call when I'm working.
Exactly. If you're like me and don't have a wife or kids to get to then you shouldn't mind a call at the end of a shift. If you have stuff to do and places to be, then I can understand why it could be annoying.

P.S I have been working for plenty of time, and have had this happen to me as a common occourence. Like I said, if you have nothing to do then it shouldn't really bother you.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Exactly. If you're like me and don't have a wife or kids to get to then you shouldn't mind a call at the end of a shift. If you have stuff to do and places to be, then I can understand why it could be annoying.

P.S I have been working for plenty of time, and have had this happen to me as a common occourence. Like I said, if you have nothing to do then it shouldn't really bother you.

Meh. I wish I could say I didn't mind, but I have a finite number of hours to have a life outside of work. I still take the late calls since I am the new guy, but I certainly do mind when it becomes a regular occurrence. Two thirds of our calls take over two hours to complete, not including charting. Not really a fan of getting out three hours late, even though it shouldn't bother me, apparently.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief

Why would you want to stay longer? I think it is safe to say most of us already volunteer for OT shifts when we have nothing else going on. So why would I want to stay when I shouldn't have too? I don't have a wife or kids but it still bothers me. I get that its going to happen once in a while because its part of the job, but if it is happening all the time then something is wrong. That is a reason for people burning out so quickly. Just my opinion, but you can't expect people to be "ok" with something over and over again if they were not scheduled for it.