Ambulance driving...

Weeooh

Forum Probie
I'm not afraid of the schooling, the ride alongs, or the emergency scenarios that run through my head... the long hours dont bother me at all... The only thing that makes me nervous is the thought of speeding down the road in a box truck. What do they tell you as far as how to drive? I'm not asking about the training, but what is the expectation? Like, how fast do you go when you are in a hurry, and do you find yourself weaving through traffic a lot? I've seen ambulance drivers drive all sorts of ways, and wasnt sure what the norm is, or if there are rules you follow.. or if its sirens blaring and anything goes lol
And is it true that the newbs drive the most?
(And i'm not calling anyone's profession an 'ambulance driver', i am referring simply to the part of the job where you are driving an ambulance)

LifeAlert101

Forum Probie
So in order to drive an ambulance most agencies/companies offer a CEVO-Certified Emergency Vehicle Operator course. This is to tackle the concerns you've outlined. And as for the driving aspect it all depends on the call. If its a BLS call then you wouldn't be driving but if it's ALS then more than likely you'd be behind the wheel.

Old Tracker

Forum Asst. Chief
Depends. Are you on the open highway or in city traffic. Is it night time, raining, snowing, is it windy, is the road essentially straight? All factor in. We have a long wheel base unit that drives almost like a car and another short wheel base unit that feels top heavy.

You're the most important factor. Be alert, whether it is open highway or congested city. Don't assume you have the right of way. The driver is the difference. Also, remember you have someone in the box that may not be completely strapped in treating a patient.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
What do they tell you as far as how to drive?

As @Old Tracker said, it's context dependent. However, I try to keep in mind this:

There is very little good evidence out there that driving fast (or using lights & sirens) improves patient outcomes. There is very good evidence to suggest that driving fast puts us as responders at risk, not to mention the general public. Therefore, I try to emphasize staying within a reasonable margin (+/- 10 mph) of the speed limit for urgent responses and stay within a tight margin of the speed limit for "cold" responses and transport (+/- 5 mph), just like I would in my own car.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Also, remember you have someone in the box that may not be completely strapped in treating a patient.
Oh God bless you, kind sir. This is something often not emphasized enough either. I find this really goes in one ear and out the other with the majority of newer folks.

Keep in mind, you still have to work with said patient care provider (basic to medic), OP. Be kind on the pedals, they will appreciate it even if they never say it. To me, in my service, I weigh most "competency points" on this alone when working with techs at my service.

A skilled driver who glides to a hospital with myself and patient in the back is like a needle in a haystack.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
never let me drive... LEO EVOC and EMS EVOC are 2 entirely different things. I have no words to describe how far apart they are.

Old Tracker

Forum Asst. Chief
No disagreeing with you completely, but there a many similarities between the two, IF you are on the open road. Curves, outside-inside-outside, you take foot off gas before you hit the curve and accelerate through the curve. Open highway, use the whole road, you can also use the shoulder. The basics of driving really don't change much going from a car to a truck, the situations dictate.

I have done more high speed runs/chases than I can remember between my years in the Border Patrol and a criminal investigator for Customs. I won't chase a suspect vehicle lights out on moon lit nights anymore and then hit the reds & blues, headlights and siren once I'm on their bumper. Can't believe I was that stupid.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Also, lets face it- cops are by far the most dangerous lights and sirens drivers there are, EVOC or not.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Don't be the Evil Empire crew I saw the other day, no one saw or heard them until they were in the middle of the intersection in front of me, and even after being on the other side rolling my eyes at drivers not paying attention, still found myself almost panic breaking.....almost chalked it up to "Bot, sirens really do suck at warning cross traffic in modern sound proofed cars"....until I saw the guy reach up to where the siren control knob is and turned off his sirens! Like really?? No wonder people can't hear you if you only have the siren on in the intersection!

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
No disagreeing with you completely, but there a many similarities between the two, IF you are on the open road. Curves, outside-inside-outside, you take foot off gas before you hit the curve and accelerate through the curve. Open highway, use the whole road, you can also use the shoulder. The basics of driving really don't change much going from a car to a truck, the situations dictate.

I have done more high speed runs/chases than I can remember between my years in the Border Patrol and a criminal investigator for Customs. I won't chase a suspect vehicle lights out on moon lit nights anymore and then hit the reds & blues, headlights and siren once I'm on their bumper. Can't believe I was that stupid.
completely agree. Going to troopers down/shots fired on the NYS throughway at night when nobodies there is one thing, 110+ tolerable there. But traffic evasion and city driving LEO and EMS differs immensely just based upon maneuverability.
side note: I am rather annoying with my sirens, but annoying= safe(r) in my opinion. change it up every few seconds folks :D

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Going to troopers down/shots fired on the NYS throughway at night when nobodies there is one thing, 110+ tolerable there.
Wait, what? When is this EVER tolerable? You're going to risk your own life, and the publics whom you serve to rush to the scene of a "brother". With due respect I completely find this immoral.
traffic evasion and city driving LEO and EMS differs immensely just based upon maneuverability.
Agreed, the "lug nut rule" prevails here.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
I dunno how sirens offer any protection?...... I work with a new guy and I have the invisible foot pedal on my side. I can repeatedly say "we're no good if we don't show up" or tell them tales of past experiences including an in service death but it does not do the trick. Being judged by 12 is the only thing you'll accomplish driving like a jack ***.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Old Tracker

Forum Asst. Chief
It really doesn't matter really what's going on in the back of the ambulance, the DRIVER is still responsible for with driving with due regard. I've had our EMRs slow down drastically quite a few times if the LifePak was getting a lot of artifact or couldn't get a good blood pressure. Ref: sirens, pretty much useless at highway speeds, but, imo, necessary in congested areas. It is more of a CYA thing to run the lights and siren in a congested area, but lights and sirens on won't save you if you are driving and do stupid things. Just sayin'.