Am i hired?

flemt92

Forum Probie
Hey guys so i stoped by a ambulance company in my city to see if they were hiring and they told me they didnt have any spots open but the employer told me to go get my physical, drug test, TB test and a background check. So i did and i brought it back after 48 hours. When i went back and gave it to him he told me to come back the following week to do my payroll. He also told me to bring copies of everything which i already turned in along side my application. He also tokd me to bring my social security to payroll. Does this mean im hired?

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Ask them. None of us know

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
That's pretty sketchy.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Sounds like somebody is getting fired and the guy doesn't want to come right out and say it maybe.

cynikalkat

Forum Lieutenant
Sounds like CCA telling me to get a physical but not flat-out telling me I got a job, and then the utter disappointment from the hiring person when I told her I have to wait til Nov 3rd as I'll be out of town for a week.

Ask them flat out!

ArcticKat

Forum Captain
Probably setting you up for a casual position so if they need someone on short notice they can call you up and expect you to blaze down to the hall.

OP
OP
F

flemt92

Forum Probie
Yep I was thinking the same, he also told me that he had 6 other guys going through payroll. But it doesn't make sense because he told me they didn't have any spots open. I have to go back in wenesday, I'm going to ask flatout if I got hired or not.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
They're probably establishing a hiring pool, so that they can quickly fill any vavancies due to resignations or firings.

Many places do this, including my employer. Everyone takes an entrance exam, CPAT, medical exam, psych, and polygraph. Then we're eligible for hire for up to two years after successful completion of the hiring process.

That's a large municipal employer, though. In the privates, they know that they're nothing but a stepping stone job for most people, who intend use them as a resume builder, and then move on to bigger and better things. The pay and benefits reflect this fact.

What I would recommend is to call periodically, say every three weeks or so, to "check on the status of your application." The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Applications can get misplaced or lost, so it's a good idea to ensure that your info is in the lineup, and not buried away somewhere.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Yep I was thinking the same, he also told me that he had 6 other guys going through payroll. But it doesn't make sense because he told me they didn't have any spots open. I have to go back in wenesday, I'm going to ask flatout if I got hired or not.

Telling you that there are others going through payroll may be a negotiation tactic to show competition for the position, so that they can negotiate a lower starting pay rate. More likely, it's to create a pool as I explained previously. Not everyone that completes the process will actually take the job. For example, their dream department could call them next week, or in a month, before the position in question opens up. People also fail the orientation process. It happens.

OP
OP
F

flemt92

Forum Probie
Thanks for all the input guys, so it turned off that I got hired! I start training tomorrow. I'm so happy, who said dreams don't come true!:)

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
"turns out"

Funny how a thread about English classes for EMS providers make me notice grammatical errors.

Side note: I suck at English, it was my worst subject in school.

cynikalkat

Forum Lieutenant
too funny NVRob. I am a grammar & spelling Nazi (but am not opposed to a lot of abbreviations)

Congrats Flemt92!

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
too funny NVRob. I am a grammar & spelling Nazi (but am not opposed to a lot of abbreviations)

Congrats Flemt92!

Or periods apparently haha.