ALS Bags

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
What different bags are people using for their primary ALS or first in bags?

We currently use a bag like the one below, but are evaluating other options as we have outgrown the current bag.

Currently we have a demo Omni Pro from MERET, but I'm curious what other people have found to work well.
lightbox-fernoalsbag.jpeg

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
We have a StatPack G3. It is a quality bag with a pretty configurable layout. I also really like Meret bags.
A2JM_131027150493778298VL182s3gWW.jpg

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Statpack G1 and G3 perfusion. I really like the G3.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I'm our bag lady... are you trying to do a one or two (or more bag system)?

OP
OP
NPO

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm our bag lady... are you trying to do a one or two (or more bag system)?
One bag. We briefly considered a 2 bag idea, but we didn't like that idea.

We like the MERET bag we are trying. We also have some StatPack G3 quicklook bags for BLS standbys. Most people have said they don't like them, but don't give a reason, so I'm not locking our StatPack based on that. We have those because they carry an AED.

Our fly cars have a variation of the Ferno bag I pictured above that has an oxygen bottle and access spot. This is a feature we would like to retain if possible.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I believe it is the G3 Backup, like pictured. I think it has the largest open interior compartment of the series.

We have our C-Mac case, Statpack Med bag with RSI and first line drugs, pelvic binder x2, Tourniquet x2, thermal blanket, Braun pump, 500cc Hypertonic Saline, 250cc NS, 100cc NS, and probably a few other things I forgot all stuffed into the center compartment. Ambu bag fits in the top compartment and then the sides have various IV and airway supplies.

It is on the heavy side but not horrible once it's on your back. Definitely nice having everything in one bag. May be overkill for your situation tho.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
One bag. We briefly considered a 2 bag idea, but we didn't like that idea.

We like the MERET bag we are trying. We also have some StatPack G3 quicklook bags for BLS standbys. Most people have said they don't like them, but don't give a reason, so I'm not locking our StatPack based on that. We have those because they carry an AED.

Our fly cars have a variation of the Ferno bag I pictured above that has an oxygen bottle and access spot. This is a feature we would like to retain if possible.
Personally I kind of loathe the one bag idea, it gets very heavy if you have to carry oxygen. Even if you don't (ie grab the bottle off the cot), it still becomes very unwieldy. That Ferno bag along with the 5.11 something or other (not sure if it's made) have O2 access from the side. Both of those are pretty enourmous kits, and I'm sure others make something similar (Iron Duck, etc). Not sure if the Merret's do, fire here uses the Recover for their airway bag, which just has a buckle to get access to the regulator and is nice size but not big enough for all in one.

To me, hands down Conterra makes the best bags and organizers on the market. Three of my jobs use the Responder IV, and it should be big enough to carry everything you need aside from an O2 bottle. At my FT place we use it as a med/trauma bag and have the Airway Pro to accompany it. If you need to carry O2, the Infinity is sweet but rather pricy. No matter what you end up buying, I don't think Conterra's medication kit can be beat by anyone, seems like everyone around here tucks them in their bag. If you call Conterra, they are super easy to work with in terms of getting a demo. Life-Assist.com is also happy to do so.

OP
OP
NPO

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
@VFlutter That doesn't sound far off from our needs. We don't carry a pump or pelvic binders in our bag, but we have other things that take up space. Our big space hogs are our intubation kit which carries your standard allotment of tubes and blades, cric kit, and the other various airway/intubation essentials. Then we have our BVM, disposable CPAP, King Vision VL and blade, dopamine and Esmolol kits (remember, we have those worked into our cardiac arrest protocols, so they want them in the bags) IV and med tackle boxes.

Last edited:

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
We currently use a two bag system, but i hate it. We use something from Pacific medical that is similar to that Ferno bag, one has our airway, iv start supplies, IO, cric, and intubation roll. The other has all our drugs, fluids and syringes. We have to bring those two plus a LP15 in on every call, plus the lucas on CPR, and sometimes a bag that has our video laryngoscope and portable vent.

Ive been looking for single bag to throw all the stuff i really need in for days i work so i only have 1 bag. our ET roll, med box, some fluid and IV supplies

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I had some grant money left over and bought four 5.11 ALS bags. I hate them. Too big and bulky. I thought the all-in-one would be an ideal solution for medical aid stations. Just grab one bag and be good to go. Wrong.
Screenshot_8.png

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
EMS around here uses a two bag system: one is a 10 minute bag, which has all the equipment you should need (except for monitor, suction, CPAP, other plug in devices), for the first 10 minutes of any call. the second is a code bag, which is brought on cardiac arrests, and has drugs and tools designed for that purpose.

The 10 minute bag is the 5.11 Tactical #56936 Responder 84 ALS Backpack, which is also what we use on the engines and QRV, and IIRC, the code bag is the 5.11 ALS bags. I really like the backpack, compared to the shoulder slings, especially from an ergo standpoint

When I was up north, we used a similar system to what @Bullets used; two bag system, 1 was the drug bag, the other was everything else. still needed to bring the monitor in, and BLS brought oxygen and associated supplies/oxygen delivery devices.

As much as I like the modular concept, I still find that if you don't bring something in, your likely to need it. so if you don't bring the airway/intubation kit in with you on the knee pain, once you make it in the door you will be told that the patient is not breathing.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I had some grant money left over and bought four 5.11 ALS bags. I hate them. Too big and bulky. I thought the all-in-one would be an ideal solution for medical aid stations. Just grab one bag and be good to go. Wrong.
View attachment 4299
We have these at my AMR op and I loathe them. They're terrible to carry in any manner and it's asking too much to carry that much crap on one person ergonomically. We don't even have an O2 bottle in it either.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
We have a three bag system (four counting the paediatric bag) with an O2 tank sleeve.

Bag 1 is airway/respiratory
Bag 2 is meds, IV, syringes, small pouch of dressing
Bag 3 is trauma.

The bags were custom jobs built by http://firetechmfg.com/

In the lead up to ordering they used a half dozen of our medics on light duties to observe crews and just track frequency that equipment was used and when and that guided decisions. Within our larger bags they’re divided into brightly labeled task bags (IV Start, ACLS, IO, etc) that makes it easy to find everything.

No bag is perfect but this is the third iteration of kit I’ve worked with at my service, fifth counting the layouts I used at my part time job and I think they’re the best we’ve had so far.

Sorry no pics, I’m on an educational LOA from work.

CentralCalEMT

Forum Captain
I think the environment that you respond to partly dictates the bag you use. We cover a large mountain area, and have to hike in to campgrounds or on trails at times, so we went with the MERET bag. It turns into a backpack which makes it much easier to carry long distances. It has trauma supplies, all meds in our scope of practice, IV kit, intubation kit, King Airways, 3 sizes of BVM, Glucometer, BP cuffs. It is not too heavy to hike in with. Our O2 bag is small and only has the D cylinder, a couple of cannulas, masks, nebulizers, and 1 adult BVM. We purposely keep it light so it is easy to carry as well. We have found this system works best for us as a rural system.

CWATT

Forum Lieutenant
EMS around here uses a two bag system: one is a 10 minute bag, which has all the equipment you should need (except for monitor, suction, CPAP, other plug in devices), for the first 10 minutes of any call. the second is a code bag, which is brought on cardiac arrests, and has drugs and tools designed for that purpose.

The 10 minute bag is the 5.11 Tactical #56936 Responder 84 ALS Backpack, which is also what we use on the engines and QRV, and IIRC, the code bag is the 5.11 ALS bags. I really like the backpack, compared to the shoulder slings, especially from an ergo standpoint

Could you please elaborate on the contents of each bag?

Thanks.