Are you a Beta or an Alpha personality

• I'm a Beta

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • I'm an Alpha

Votes: 17 73.9%

• Total voters

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
So I've been doing a bit of research on personality types as of late and I've come to the conclusion that I'm definetly a Beta. I prefer not to be the one calling the shots if I can help it. I'll take the leadership position if it's the only option. I handle it pretty well but I'll hand it off in a heartbeat if I can find someone who's better at it than me.

So I'm curious if you guys and gals are alphas or betas. Try and be honest folks the poll is anonymous. Don't just judge yourself against the people around you try and think objectively about the question.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
It really depends on the situation. When it comes to school and work I am definitely an alpha. I like to take charge and have leadership roles, I like things done the right way, and I am very confident in my knowledge. I have no problem having spirited arguments about medical topics.

In my personal life I am the complete opposite, very beta. I am a very quite and self conscious. I usually don't try to make decisions or take charge of anything. Especially in dating and social situations. I have always been the nice guy or sweetheart. I just go with the flow.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Was there really any doubt?

OP
OP
bigbaldguy

bigbaldguy

Was there really any doubt?

It's impossible to really tell on here. I've met many folks who while in their "element" are the consummate Alpha but take them out of it and they are Beta or less. Most docs I've met though are Alphas especially those in patient care.

I think there are also a great many Betas who take on Alpha traits in order to survive in their chosen career path. It seems like women do this a great deal when in a field that is primarily male. I've also seen Alpha females who pretend to be Betas as well, usually in relationships.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
It's impossible to really tell on here. I've met many folks who while in their "element" are the consummate Alpha but take them out of it and they are Beta or less. Most docs I've met though are Alphas especially those in patient care.

I think there are also a great many Betas who take on Alpha traits in order to survive in their chosen career path. It seems like women do this a great deal when in a field that is primarily male. I've also seen Alpha females who pretend to be Betas as well, usually in relationships.

Seems very reasonable.

But even at my most introspective, I am not sure I would appreciate being labeled as B, 2, or anything other than A number 1.

Anjel

Forum Angel
I was a Beta all the way through school, all away through EMT training, but then once I get a job. I am an Alpha all the way and it's even carried into my personal life.

Whatever I wanted to do or was thinking before I was kept to myself. But now that I've been out working on my own, and someone's doing something that they shouldn't i will be the first to step up and take over

However, when it is an ALS unit and a BLS unit on scene. I keep my mouth shut and let ALS do whatever they need to. Whether I agree with it or not.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I'm exactly like Chase. When I'm working, I'm entirely alpha. When I'm not at work, I'm the polar opposite. Chase described me to a tee.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
bigbaldguy

bigbaldguy

Generally from what I've read if you're an Alpha at work but a Beta in your personal life then you're usually a Beta that has learned Alpha traits. I was definetly a very low Beta in my early teens and childhood (probably more a Gamma honestly) but as I gained confidence in myself I think I've moved up the ladder to a pretty strong Beta. Not sure if you can move from Beta to Alpha entirely.

Being a Beta isn't necessarily a bad thing. While Alphas are usually very successful in their careers they tend to be much more unhappy in their life's/relationships according to what I've read.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
At work I am an alpha. Being only an EMT on scene with 2+ medics it has gotten me in "hot water" a couple of times.

Before I started in the firefighting explorer program I was a quiet and shy beta. After 5 years in the explorer program and 2 years as an EMT I am now an alpha.

However when I am with friends or family I can act as a beta. Mostly because there are some things that I really don't care about so I'll let them decide.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Gamma
Retired and finally accept that I no longer make any meaningful difference.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I'm not 100% sure how to describe myself in that dichotomy. I'm more than happy to sit back and go with the flow, but if I don't like the path that the endeavor is going down, I have no problem jumping in and taking charge. So I guess I'm an alpha with beta traits?

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm exactly like Chase. When I'm working, I'm entirely alpha. When I'm not at work, I'm the polar opposite. Chase described me to a tee.

Same here. That makes four of us in one thread, chase, the unjust poet, linuss, and myself. need a new personality type designator.

eprex

Forum Lieutenant
Just like everything else in my life, I'm both. I would lean more towards beta though I suppose.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
In emergency situations I am definitely Alpha.

In everything else I'm Beta than most!

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
Thermal neutron. Oh, wait, are we talking about silly reductionist theories of personality inexplicably popular on the Internet? Then INTP. Wait, no.

OP
OP
bigbaldguy

bigbaldguy

Betas often use humor to diffuse questions or situations they find uncomfortable or unpleasant :)

TechMedic

Forum Lieutenant
I'm an introvert so I sometimes have trouble taking command, but I feel it helps with managing psych patients. I listen to What they say, And I may be new but it seems That's What most of them really need even if it's all bull:censored::censored::censored::censored:. I haven't met anyone else with this kind of style so it's difficult to employ my own style of patient management