Age limit for a medic?

ITBITB13

Forum Lieutenant
I am currently working as an EMT at the age of 19. My plans are to enroll in medic school asap. So if my plans go as planned, I will be a medic before I reach 21.

I graduated high school at the age of 17, and was forced to wait a long time time to enroll for an EMT-B program, because I couldn't find a program that didn't have an 18y/o age limit.

Considering the fact that I will be administering various meds at the medic level, will my age be an issue again?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
You won't have a problem with school. Finding employment could be another story, but it depends on the company and their insurance provider.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
You can't drive till you 25 so you might have to standby to start.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
In most places in NM it's 21 and over. Same with teh majority of services I've looked at in TX (I'm only 23, so I tend to watch that pretty carefully). It's an insurance issue

pa132399

Forum Crew Member
i start medic school this fall and im only 18. employment should be fine for me because the company that i was just hired by will give me a medic slot when i finish school. but driving is the issue i've found that private services tend to be 20+, and local municipalities are generally towards the 18+ to drive

Anjel

Forum Angel
I drive and I am 21. lol Youngest at our company is 20 I beleive.

I think you just have to be 18 and up here

Imacho

Forum Lieutenant
i start medic school this fall and im only 18. employment should be fine for me because the company that i was just hired by will give me a medic slot when i finish school. but driving is the issue i've found that private services tend to be 20+, and local municipalities are generally towards the 18+ to drive

How many hours of field experience does the program require? and how many hours do you have with being in the field less than a year?

pa132399

Forum Crew Member
How many hours of field experience does the program require? and how many hours do you have with being in the field less than a year?

In pa you can become an emt at 16 i just turned 17 when i got mine and i ran with an als company as a junior while they had the program, volunteered with fire-ems and now i work per diem for a bls service and now full time at an als. i'll have close to 2 years in when my medic program starts

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I was an EMT at 18 and a Paramedic at 19. My first job was for the county 911 system and I was driving the ambulance.

Age restrictions depend on the company or service, if they are self insured or have outside insurance...or if state laws apply. Many factors influence it...

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I was an EMT at 16, a medic at 18, and drove starting at 18 too. It depends on the area.

dstevens58

Forum Lieutenant
Wow <wipes brow>, thought you were going to talk about an upper age limit :cool:

We have a guy with our volunteer service that just "retired" and he's 77. The question of his retirement is still up in the air, but he's enjoying some time off for the time being. He may be back in a bit to be my driver (we're working on him).

Smash

Forum Asst. Chief
Wow, I'm amazed at the number of people who were/are medics whilst still in their teens. The youngest you could be a medic where I work is 25, not because of any restrictions placed upon you, but because if you started straight out of school you wouldn't be finished the university and in service training until then. Even then it would be highly unlikely to see someone that young as a medic.

terrible one

Always wandering
Wow, I'm amazed at the number of people who were/are medics whilst still in their teens. The youngest you could be a medic where I work is 25, not because of any restrictions placed upon you, but because if you started straight out of school you wouldn't be finished the university and in service training until then. Even then it would be highly unlikely to see someone that young as a medic.

Welcome to EMS in the US, kind of sad isn't it?

firecoins

IFT Puppet
NY state restricts the age of EMTs to 18 and above. Its the only restriction I know of as it relates to age.

Insurance has restricted driving age to 21 for most of the commercial companies but some companies and all volunteer agencies have it from 18 and up. I guess they have different insurance.

Imacho

Forum Lieutenant
In pa you can become an emt at 16 i just turned 17 when i got mine and i ran with an als company as a junior while they had the program, volunteered with fire-ems and now i work per diem for a bls service and now full time at an als. i'll have close to 2 years in when my medic program starts

Oh. Now I know. Cali require Agee minimum of 18 for emt. And a good medic schools requires 1000- 2000 hours of field experience prior to start of the program. My academy requires 2000 hours prior to he start of the first semester.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Oh. Now I know. Cali require Agee minimum of 18 for emt. And a good medic schools requires 1000- 2000 hours of field experience prior to start of the program. My academy requires 2000 hours prior to he start of the first semester.

Experience in the field as an emt doesn't make a good medic. Sorry to burst your bubble.

The requirement of working prior to starting school, doesn't make a good program either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk