Age limit for a medic?

VirginiaEMT

Forum Lieutenant
I am currently working as an EMT at the age of 19. My plans are to enroll in medic school asap. So if my plans go as planned, I will be a medic before I reach 21.

I graduated high school at the age of 17, and was forced to wait a long time time to enroll for an EMT-B program, because I couldn't find a program that didn't have an 18y/o age limit.

Considering the fact that I will be administering various meds at the medic level, will my age be an issue again?

Oh lord, I thought you meant too OLD, not young!!!!! I am 47 and EMT-I class on August 1st.... Whewwwwwwwww!!!!!:rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:

pa132399

Forum Crew Member
I've always been told that good emts will make good medics. So in turn experience will help but it is not the only factor

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
95% of this job is customer service.

Tommerag

What day is it?
The Ambulance I work at (The paid amb service that is) minimum age to work is 23 because their insurance company wont insure anyone under 23.

Imacho

Forum Lieutenant
Experience in the field as an emt doesn't make a good medic. Sorry to burst your bubble.

The requirement of working prior to starting school, doesn't make a good program either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Typo ment "most" not "good"

They way they utilize the hours a an EMT is what makes a good medic.

And no know it doesnt. however, the program is stating that if you want to succeed, you will need to be determined and willing to work hard.

there a several programs that have their prereq's set, and still over half the students will be dropped do to poor instruction and instructors. They wont take the time to ensure the student is receiving the proper instruction they paid for.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
The real question you need to consider is whether or not there are jobs for medics in your area at all, regardless of age. In most of the US, 911 jobs are far fewer than medics. There are a buttload of unemployed EMTs and medics out there. And yes, working on a non-911 transfer taxi is the same thing as being unemployed.