Advanced level psychomotor tests are going away

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
In 2023 the national registry has announced plans to sunset the advanced level psychomotor exam. That means that advanced EMTs and paramedics will no longer have to perform a skills exam at the conclusion of their program. Skills will be verified through the portfolio process, the same way paramedics are doing it now, and the cognitive exam will become significantly longer. The advanced EMT exam will be a three hour test with 170 items and the paramedic exam will have a time limit of 3 1/2 hours with between 130 and 190 items.

this is set to start between April and June 2023.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Any thoughts on this? I felt like the psychomotor exam was kind of unnecessary so I think this is a good thing.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Having to do two skills testing sessions at the conclusion of paramedic programs is burdensome for both the students and educators. Good riddance.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Seems very reasonable to do this, the ALS psychomotor going the same way as Step 2 CS. If the EMT course were a bit longer, it would make sense to do the same with EMT!

RESCUERANDYEMS

Forum Crew Member
In 2023 the national registry has announced plans to sunset the advanced level psychomotor exam. That means that advanced EMTs and paramedics will no longer have to perform a skills exam at the conclusion of their program. Skills will be verified through the portfolio process, the same way paramedics are doing it now, and the cognitive exam will become significantly longer. The advanced EMT exam will be a three hour test with 170 items and the paramedic exam will have a time limit of 3 1/2 hours with between 130 and 190 items.

this is set to start between April and June 2023.
So I just took the extended cognitive exam on 01/10/2024. My NREMT still has an PATT for my psychomotor but I thought I wouldn’t be required to take that if I tested after December 2023? Anyone know anything about this?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
So I just took the extended cognitive exam on 01/10/2024. My NREMT still has an PATT for my psychomotor but I thought I wouldn’t be required to take that if I tested after December 2023? Anyone know anything about this?
July 1, 2024 is when the testing process is set to change according to one of the last documents I saw put out by NREMT. So the new test is not available to be utilized until that date.

RESCUERANDYEMS

Forum Crew Member
July 1, 2024 is when the testing process is set to change according to one of the last documents I saw put out by NREMT. So the new test is not available to be utilized until that date.

Well the one I just took had the scenario questions and the multiple answer solutions as well as some drag and drop questions so I’m not sure what I took if that’s the case.

RESCUERANDYEMS

Forum Crew Member

IMG_5845.jpeg

This is what I’m confused about