acronym

platypus

Forum Probie
does anyone know what the acronym GCMABCD stands for?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
does anyone know what the acronym GCMABCD stands for?

i have never heard of that one before. possibly for initial assessment? ( General impression, Chief complaint, Mechanism of injury, Airway, Breathing, Circulation, Decision for transport)

skills82

Forum Crew Member
i have never heard of that one before. possibly for initial assessment? ( General impression, Chief complaint, Mechanism of injury, Airway, Breathing, Circulation, Decision for transport)

That is what I thought because in school that is how many people remembered the steps in patient assessment and not to forget any steps. That's just my 2 cents.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief

D = Disability

OP
OP
platypus

platypus

Forum Probie
A friend of mines instructor is giving xtra credit to whoever can figure it out..

this is what i thought

G
C
M
Airway
Circulation
Breathing
Defibrillation

i have no idea what the GCM is

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
what do you mean by Disability?

Like in the ATLS Assessment you use ABCDE

Airway, Breathing, Circulation, Disability, Exposure

Disability would imply the neurological assessment and an overview of the patient's status at that particular moment.

Exposure would be cutting the patient's clothes off in order to do a more complete examination.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Like in the ATLS Assessment you use ABCDE

Airway, Breathing, Circulation, Disability, Exposure

Disability would imply the neurological assessment and an overview of the patient's status at that particular moment.

Exposure would be cutting the patient's clothes off in order to do a more complete examination.

Hmm. thats interesting. i have never heard of the ABCDE before. sorry Rob my acronyms are a little rusty. what does ATLS stand for?

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Hmm. thats interesting. i have never heard of the ABCDE before. sorry Rob my acronyms are a little rusty. what does ATLS stand for?

Advanced Trauma Life Support. You will also see the ABCDE Assessment used in PHTLS (Prehospital Trauma Life Support).

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Advanced Trauma Life Support. You will also see the ABCDE Assessment used in PHTLS (Prehospital Trauma Life Support).

oh. I have never heard of those before. thanks for the info

NREMTroe

Forum Crew Member
To remember mine I always used

S - Scene safety
N - Nature
N - Number of pts
A - ALS backup
C - Consider C-Spine

G - General Impression
L - LOC
C - Chief complaint

A - Airway
B - Breathing
C - Circulation

Then, improvised from there depending on what skill sheet i was looking at

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
A friend of mines instructor is giving xtra credit to whoever can figure it out..

this is what i thought

G
C
M
Airway
Circulation
Breathing
Defibrillation

i have no idea what the GCM is

I would expect to only see defib in a more CPR based course. it seems like the initial assessment right after scene safety.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
To remember mine I always used

S - Scene safety
N - Nature
N - Number of pts
A - ALS backup
C - Consider C-Spine

G - General Impression
L - LOC
C - Chief complaint

A - Airway
B - Breathing
C - Circulation

i used BSI-PENMANS then GI, LOC, ABCD

just different examples of how to remember the I.A.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I don't need to use an accronym to do a scene size up.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
oh. I have never heard of those before. thanks for the info

Agreed, using defib in there would limit that acronym to only one or two scenarios.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Alright well it seems like most people are are agreeing and it seems like your best choice is it's the initial assessment.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
I think an acronym sticky would be a real useful thing to have on this board. :p

Any volunteers? :huh:

Asimurk

Forum Captain
I think an acronym sticky would be a real useful thing to have on this board. :p

Any volunteers? :huh:

Is there an all encompassing acronym/abbr. thread on the forum? As essentially a lay person it took a while to figure that Hx was history, pt. patient, ED emergency department, tx fracture, but I'm just guessing, any of those could be wrong.

JPINFV

Gadfly
^
Fx is fracture, Tx is treatment.