A question on a question on a quiz

firemedic0227

Forum Lieutenant
So I had a test the other day that had a question something along the lines of ... You have successfully Needle Decompressed a Tension Pneumothorax showing equal and bilateral lung sounds. After a few seconds you see your SpO2 level at 83% and you no longer hear lung sounds on the Needle Decompression side. Should you ...

A. Remove the Catheter and occlude the puncture site
B. Add another Catheter near the orginal Catheter
C. Pull Out that Catheter and insert another larger bore Catheter
D. Decompress the other side of the chest

I don't remember reading anything about this or hearing anything about this while in Medic Class. I went back to my text book and can't find anything on it either.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
"Insert chest tube" strangely missing...

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
JP last time I checked medics can't place chest tubes.

The answer is B. I'm surprised you didn't go over that in class...I'm also assuming your original catheter was fitted with a one way valve as well...

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Leave in initial cath. Decompress again, typically just lateral. Pretty sure that's what they're looking for.

OP
OP
F

firemedic0227

Forum Lieutenant

The answer is B. I'm surprised you didn't go over that in class...I'm also assuming your original catheter was fitted with a one way valve as well...

Now that I it's been mentioned to me on here I do remember going over it in class (when I was in PHTLS 4 months ago). That's what I thought it was but I decided to go with C instead for some reason.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Now that I it's been mentioned to me on here I do remember going over it in class (when I was in PHTLS 4 months ago). That's what I thought it was but I decided to go with C instead for some reason.

If you really wanted to get technical we don't remove impaled objects unless they directly interfere with the airway :ph34r:

Well... yes... but... :ph34r:
With that said, do I know how to place one? Yes. Would I feel comfortable doing it on a live person without direct supervision? Not really.

Last edited by a moderator:

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief

JPINFV

Gadfly
If you really wanted to get technical we don't remove impaled objects unless they directly interfere with the airway :ph34r:

If you want to get technical like that, paramedics, and EMTs remove impaled objects all the time...

...like lancets for checking BGLs.

JPINFV

Gadfly
That's what I was thinking too. LOL

Sometimes I fantasize about going to another EMS forum (plenty out there where this would work), signing up as an "EMT" (since I have been trained as an EMT), and posting a physician level workup and management just for the lulz.

Yes, I have a queer* sense of humor at times.

*I'm reclaiming this word for the rest of society.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
If you want to get technical like that, paramedics, and EMTs remove impaled objects all the time...

Touche salesman!

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm also assuming your original catheter was fitted with a one way valve as well...
I've never understood the need for a one-way valve on an angiocath used for this purpose. It's so much smaller than the trachea that you're not going to get a preferential inflow of air through it unless the airway is obstructed. It's one reason I was always taught to not freak out about (but not to ignore) and opening in the chest that is smaller than 2/3 the size of the trachea. If it's smaller than that and they've got a tension pneumo, it's because of the internal damage (lacerated large airway being high on the list) or you've missed another, large wound to the chest wall.

Just remember that you're trying to increase the amount of space through which this air can escape. Pulling the first catheter is not going to accomplish that.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief

It is answer B, but you are incorrect on this next part...Medics can and do place chest tubes. All depends on your service, your state and your med director of course.

JPINFV

Gadfly
It is answer B, but you are incorrect on this next part...Medics can and do place chest tubes. All depends on your service, your state and your med director of course.

However, I would be willing to bet that the number of civilian paramedics in the US who are allowed to place chest tubes are vastly outnumbered by those who can't.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
However, I would be willing to bet that the number of civilian paramedics in the US who are allowed to place chest tubes are vastly outnumbered by those who can't.
I can tell you that the number of civilian paramedics I would trust to put in a chest tube is vastly outweighed by the number I wouldn't give anything sharper than a tongue depressor.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I can tell you that the number of civilian paramedics I would trust to put in a chest tube is vastly outweighed by the number I wouldn't give anything sharper than a tongue depressor.

Sasha says "Come here, USAF..."
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1323245632.173653.jpg

Smash

Forum Asst. Chief
I've never understood the need for a one-way valve on an angiocath used for this purpose.

Oh god, amen to that! It is an obsession where I work, and all it ever does is add more crap to a messy scene and give people more distractions from important tasks. Make the hole, move on. Hell, blunt finger dissection does the job just as well in the first instance.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I've never understood the need for a one-way valve on an angiocath used for this purpose. It's so much smaller than the trachea that you're not going to get a preferential inflow of air through it unless the airway is obstructed. It's one reason I was always taught to not freak out about (but not to ignore) and opening in the chest that is smaller than 2/3 the size of the trachea. If it's smaller than that and they've got a tension pneumo, it's because of the internal damage (lacerated large airway being high on the list) or you've missed another, large wound to the chest wall.

I always wondered about this. What you said definitely makes sense. From what I hear, we get reamed if we don't use one though.

Fair enough. I was taught to place them but like I said I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it without doing a live one with a higher level provider looking over my shoulder for the first time. Also, I think usaf may come after me with a scalpel or other sharp object so for the time being I'll stay away :p

Where I work only Flight Nurses can place them.

I thought of another one, Taser darts. Service dependent though.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Also, I think usaf may come after me with a scalpel or other sharp object so for the time being I'll stay away
If you're trying to point out that I don't trust you, you're mistaken. LOL

From what I hear, we get reamed if we don't use one though.
I had a doc try that once and I told him to show me where there was any scientific data to validate the practice. Stopped him dead in his tracks....