A father at 13

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
Aaaabsolutely.

"If you have sex before marriage, you will die."

I remember the nuns telling me that have sex before marriage you will burn in hell. That didn't work on my friends.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
What is with all these young kids becoming parents? Is there no common sense any more?:unsure:

I was raised in a wealthy area of Michigan for 10 years. In the whole time there, I saw 1 pregnant teen.

Moved to Ft Worth Texas, and you cannot walk down the hall of a highschool during passing time without seeing a posse of preggo teens. Talk about culture shock.

DO people simply not realize how cheap condoms are, and how much they help in the long run? Damn.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I was raised in a wealthy area of Michigan for 10 years. In the whole time there, I saw 1 pregnant teen.

Moved to Ft Worth Texas, and you cannot walk down the hall of a highschool during passing time without seeing a posse of preggo teens. Talk about culture shock.

DO people simply not realize how cheap condoms are, and how much they help in the long run? Damn.

don't you realize that if she makes you use a condom she doesn't love you? :wacko:

sarcasm aside, I think that in all the bible belt places down south, the teens don't have easy access to condoms or birth control. When I worked in LA, we were stationed across the street from a highschool that had its own daycare. I delivered 2 kids in the facility, and it seemed no female over grade 8 had less than 1 kid.

Sasha

Forum Chief

Here condoms are free at the health department, and we still have a bunch of pregnant teens.

I feel it's due to lack of REAL sex ed. When I was in middle and high school we had abstinence shoved down our throat with little to no education about condoms, birth control and STDs. Just "No sex 'til marriage!" and "Never leave your drink unattended!"

I knew one girl who didn't know that using two condoms didn't provide extra protection but made them both more likely to break, and felt if she jumped up and down afterwards the sperm wouldn't get to the ovum. A few people in my graduating class were convinced that if you douched with some kind of soda afterwards it kills the sperm.

How many people do you know that are under the impression if you pull out it's impossible to get pregnant?

And we wonder why the teen pregnancy rate is so high!

OP
OP
V

VentMedic

Forum Chief
A few people in my graduating class were convinced that if you douched with some kind of soda afterwards it kills the sperm.

We still see an occasional coca cola bottle incident in the ED. That "prevention" has been around since I was a kid in the 60s when cola was in real bottles.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I feel it's due to lack of REAL sex ed. When I was in middle and high school we had abstinence shoved down our throat with little to no education about condoms, birth control and STDs. Just "No sex 'til marriage!" and "Never leave your drink unattended!"

I think this is one of the biggest cop outs ever used by teen parents. "Teens are told about abstinence instead of birth control". I never needed an adult to tell me about condoms for me to know that it is a much better alternative over babies as a teen.

I'm sorry, but that just shows how ignorant some teens are. I mean, damn, if you think you're old enough for sex, 2 things come to mind;

You're old enough for the consequences, no matter what they are, live with it.

And you damn well better possess an inkling of common knowledge further then "This goes inside of that"

How many people do you know that are under the impression if you pull out it's impossible to get pregnant?

That's how I became an uncle. My brother is an idiot.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I think this is one of the biggest cop outs ever used by teen parents. "Teens are told about abstinence instead of birth control". I never needed an adult to tell me about condoms for me to know that it is a much better alternative over babies as a teen.

Well, you don't speak for everyone.

Condoms aren't the cure all for teen pregnancy. And there are a lot of misconceptions people have about condoms. They're good forever, they don't wear thin in your car's glove box, using two is better protection, there's no need if the girl just had her period or is on birth control. There are so many myths floating around schools that some kids don't know what to believe and don't have the benefit of having parents who will talk to them about sex.

And pregnancy is not the only part of sex ed. You'd be shocked to learn how ignorant of their own bodies some girls are.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
And boys as well... God I still remember watching the videos in 5th grade.

And yes I know I don't speak for everyone.

But seriously, it doesn't take much for someone who wants to have sex to learn about how to not be a parent as a teen.

It shouldn't be pinned solely on schools who teach abstinence. It should also be pinned on the parents who don't do enough, and on the kids themselves for not caring enough about themselves to learn about something that could, and does, have long lasting consequences.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
It shouldn't be pinned solely on schools who teach abstinence. It should also be pinned on the parents who don't do enough, and on the kids themselves for not caring enough about themselves to learn about something that could, and does, have long lasting consequences.

not arguing, because I largely agree with you, but parents who don't know or understand cannot teach their kids.

Most kids now-a-days barely do anything more than whatever they absolutely must do. I have several sources to blame, but as I have no idea how to fix it, it does no good to dwell on it.

HasTy

Forum Lieutenant
If the parents were old enough to take care of the child ok but at this age the parent should have know right to make a decision regarding the child although I guess since they did get themselves into this mess they should have to get themselves out of it. IMNSHO they should be forced to give up the child either to relatives or another family that is unable to have a child.

imurphy

Forum Captain
"If you have sex before marriage, you will die."

Well if you ask the fanatical Christians (read: dugger family) if you KISS before marriage, the world will end in a firey firey way!

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Although, how many STDs can 13 y/o virgins have?

With how many boys claiming to be the father I don't think she can claim it was her first time. Kids are becoming sexually active earlier and earlier.

I scared the bejasus out of my boys, not just with the STDs or Pregancy itself but with the fact that the mom decides if the baby is delivered and they are on the hook, financially and emotionally for at least the next 18 years and maybe more. I also told my kids that if they can't sit down face to face with their partner and have a logical, factual non-giggling discussion about birth control and sexual history with their partner, the relationship is not mature enough to become sexual. I'm blessed (or cursed) with kids who talk to me about pretty much everything and the stuff they can't talk to their mom about, they talk to their dad. I actually had to talk to them about boundaries, Mom doesn't need to know EVERYTHING.

Yes abstinance works but it has to be practiced completely. You can't be mostly abstinant or practice it 'pretty much all the time'.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
If the parents were old enough to take care of the child ok but at this age the parent should have know right to make a decision regarding the child although I guess since they did get themselves into this mess they should have to get themselves out of it. IMNSHO they should be forced to give up the child either to relatives or another family that is unable to have a child.

We dont do that in America.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
You know, I heard that he might NOT be the dad.

does this mean there is a Maury appearance in the future?

medic417

The Truth Provider
You know, I heard that he might NOT be the dad.

does this mean there is a Maury appearance in the future?

With multiple guys claiming they could be the daddy would be a perfect episode of "who's the daddy".

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief
With multiple guys claiming they could be the daddy would be a perfect episode of "who's the daddy".

oh yeah, i can see it now.
The mom: "I know one of these 13 guys is my baby's daddy"
Maury:"Here are the results."
5 min later....(gotta have the dramatic effect)
Maury:"None of these guys are the father"
Mom: "Well then it must be one of these other 5 guys"

Sasha

Forum Chief
We dont do that in America.

This happened in England.

Does anyone else find it odd that little kids are coming forward to be the father? What happened to "That aint my kid!"?