A father at 13

VentMedic

Forum Chief
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2233878.ece

Baby-faced boy Alfie Patten is father at 13
By LUCY HAGAN
Published: 13 Feb 2009

BOY dad Alfie Patten yesterday admitted he does not know how much nappies cost — but said: “I think it’s a lot.”
Baby-faced Alfie, who is 13 but looks more like eight, became a father four days ago when his girlfriend Chantelle Steadman gave birth to 7lb 3oz Maisie Roxanne.
He told how he and Chantelle, 15, decided against an abortion after discovering she was pregnant.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2233878.ece

Sasha

Forum Chief
“We know we made a mistake but I wouldn’t change it now. We will be good loving parents.

A good loving parent probably would have seen the fact this is not the ideal situation for a baby and found a better place for her. Five siblings, mother, father, and now a baby? The article also stated they get assistance.

I think right now they're in the "Ooooh isn't she cute!" stage, once out of that and faced with the fact a baby is a lot more responsiblity than giving it a bottle and holding it, they'll realize how big of a mistake they made and how much better it would have been to do what's better for the baby.

Those pictures of the father with the mother... it looks creepy. He's just a baby himself.

Sex education in itself needs to move more towards prevention of pregnancy and STD transmission, and be more educative and away from the "abstience only value based education"

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
What is with all these young kids becoming parents? Is there no common sense any more?:unsure:

OP
OP
V

VentMedic

Forum Chief
It is nothing new. We have many parents under the age of 15 with babies in our nursery or NICU. Most do not want the world to know their family business.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Last edited by a moderator:

jochi1543

Forum Captain
Actually is already posted and there is now 3 other boys claiming to be daddy.

It was in this discussion.

http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=11299&page=3

Why would as many as 3 teenage boys take responsibility for this? It seems bizarre, considering you've got grown men running from their pregnant ex-girlfriends. The 15-16 year olds are not going to get much publicity, since it's not that uncommon for one to become a parent at that age, so I doubt publicity is their motive...

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
Why would as many as 3 teenage boys take responsibility for this? It seems bizarre, considering you've got grown men running from their pregnant ex-girlfriends. The 15-16 year olds are not going to get much publicity, since it's not that uncommon for one to become a parent at that age, so I doubt publicity is their motive...

Then they can prove to all their friends that they have had sex, at that age that's the cutoff on cool or not.

Crimson Ghost

Forum Crew Member
http://www.livenews.com.au/Articles...laim_they_fathered_13yearold_Alfies_daughter_

All about the **7** other boys who have come forward....

And you know, really there have GOT to be some other boys out there thinking "Phew! Heat's off me so"

I think I see a guest of Maury in the making!!

:wacko:Thats crazy. ive just seen it today on Insider adition. This is so wrong on so many levels. Where were and where are they now, the parents of those teenagers? How could it happen and since when is it something to publisize? If all that keeps going on in the society, i think i will homeschool my baby, when it time for him to go to school. Too many bad influences around.
Thats my opinion.

medic417

The Truth Provider
All about the **7** other boys who have come forward....

If true wonder what all diseases she has caught that got passed on to the baby, since it seems she is easy. Again only if true.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Although, how many STDs can 13 y/o virgins have?

But if the multiple older boys have had multiple partners and are telling the truth, might be a bad mess.

OP
OP
V

VentMedic

Forum Chief
But if the multiple older boys have had multiple partners and are telling the truth, might be a bad mess.

You are right. Unfortunately there is a rise of newly diagnosed HIV in young people. Many were born after the worldwide push for HIV/AIDS education. People are no longer aware of the dangers of unprotected sex and not just for pregnancy reasons, but for the disease transmission. If would be interesting to know how many had HIV education in their Junior or Senior high schools. Or, how extensively it is covered in EMT(P) class? Judging by some of the threads and posts we have seen on the forums, the education about HIV/AIDS/TB as well as the signs and symptoms of STDs are greatly lacking.

In reference to another thread, Syphilis can be a cause of cardiac disease.

Off track but a good article anyway:

Electrocardiographic Manifestations and Differential Diagnosis of Acute Pericarditis

http://www.aafp.org/afp/980215ap/marinell.html

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Would just like to point out that many STDs can be transmitted from mother to fetus so there is the possibility of 13 y/o virgins with communicable disease.

Also if I recall the article it said the female was 15 and the number of her partners was not stated.

Not getting into the provider education debate and I know many of the parents will go nuts, but if the first kids hear about sex, STDs, and safe sex behaviors, devices, and other methods, is in high school, it is way too late.
In the US an average 13 year old is in 7th grade. If they were born in Aug or Sept, they may be 12 in the same grade.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Also if I recall the article it said the female was 15 and the number of her partners was not stated.

One of the other articals mentions 7 other boys claiming they could be the father.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
One of the other articals mentions 7 other boys claiming they could be the father.

I read that, but between being "cool" or possibly after some press I am not sure how reliable that is. When I was a teenager most guys I knew would keep their mouth shut on that if somebody else was taking the blame, perhaps times change.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Sex education in itself needs to move more towards prevention of pregnancy and STD transmission, and be more educative and away from the "abstience only value based education"

Aaaabsolutely. In high school health we did a sex unit. We watched a video in which a woman was doing scripted question and answers with a classroom of teens.

One boy asked something to the effect of "but what's the big deal about having sex, isn't it natural?" and the woman replied in a grave tone, I am not kidding or exaggerating, word for word:

"If you have sex before marriage, you will die."

Of course this sent the classroom into a fit of hysterical laughter.

Baseless terror tactics don't work with kids anymore. They know too much already. They deserve to be told the truth and given the knowledge and resources to have sex without endangering their lives or bringing another life into this world too early.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Aaaabsolutely. In high school health we did a sex unit. We watched a video in which a woman was doing scripted question and answers with a classroom of teens.

One boy asked something to the effect of "but what's the big deal about having sex, isn't it natural?" and the woman replied in a grave tone, I am not kidding or exaggerating, word for word:

"If you have sex before marriage, you will die."

Of course this sent the classroom into a fit of hysterical laughter.

Baseless terror tactics don't work with kids anymore. They know too much already. They deserve to be told the truth and given the knowledge and resources to have sex without endangering their lives or bringing another life into this world too early.

Not to mention tactics like that lose the confidence of the "kids" and anything you say after that is not even considered. I'd also love to hear the biological reasoning of that. We'd have to start marrying kids at 8 just to ensure the continuation of the species.

Last edited by a moderator:

lcffemt

Forum Probie
Wow... maybe this explains why I am concerned about my younger sister getting pregnant "But I'm only 16"

Sasha

Forum Chief
I'd also love to hear the biological reasoning of that. We'd have to start marrying kids at 8 just to ensure the continuation of the species.

Bigots would stone them to death.