911 vs IFT company

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I was reading the part where he said ALS rigs get as many as 10 L/S transports a shift :unsure:

JPINFV

Gadfly
...and it's my turn to fail at reading...

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
The hell? 10 L/S transports a shift?

I've done 2.5 in the past 2 weeks, one was of an organ transplant and the other was a crashing CCT patient. The 0.5 was for a canceled organ transplant.

I can't think of any reason for trucks to get 10 a shift for normal ALS? Or are your ALS trucks also doing CCTs?

As for looker--- a dispatchers view on whether or not I should run code is moot... if I'm transporting and I deem it necessary, I have the green light.
I was reading as responding as code 3. Yes once you got a patient it's totally your call, no question about it.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
911 is a glory job? Where? Because there isnt anything glamorous about it here.

Crews respond to the hospital for three reasons.

1. The person is sick
2. The company requires it, because they dont have the adequate resources to cover their call volume
3. The crew cant determine who is sick and who isnt.

Unfortunaltley two and three are more common then one.

Trust me If your going on twenty calls a day then I would be willing to bet, based on my experience maybe ten of them actually need to go to the hospital and probably five need to go emergently.

Last edited by a moderator:

Focallength

Forum Crew Member
yes we respond code 3, usually more often than we transport. We do alot of CCT and have numerous CCN's and even 2 fixed wing aircraft. We contract with numerous hospitals and are even the sole provider for NICU and peds for one major hospital. but the majority is responding to SNF and the like. Here a paramedic with 10 years on the job pulling 2 24's a week makes around 70k a year a emt with the same time in pulls about 50k. If your a captain it goes up from there. Its a good company, they pay low to start but if you do your time they pay well. I dont know about you but working 2-3 times a week and pulling in 70K plus is not bad. Most of the time we dont even deal with fire so we do all of the work, and every so often you get an on scene.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
wow you guys are amazing. If I was a medic, you couldn't pay me enough to do IFTs. considering most insurance companies generally will only pay for a BLS truck since the patients aren't really sick, just need to be transferred, I am shocked to see so many medics working IFTs.

I did IFTs for 3 months. Good people, that was the only thing that made the job worth doing. it bored me to death, and were were sent all over the state, often for a transport that took maybe 10 minutes. and no, none of our patients were even close to sick.

I went back to school to complete my degree, and ended doing IFTs (with some 911s) for another year or so, before getting a full time spot on a 911 truck. I still work on the PICU transport truck once in a while, but if I never do another IFT I won't miss it.

In my state (and most of the north east) medics don't do IFTs. In fact, in NJ, they generally are in flycars, and only go on ALS criteria patients. So in theory, they only see sick people.

I recently left my original agency for another one that gave me better options. so, to throw in on the whole L&S debate, we can do between 8 and 16 L&S responses to 911 emergencies in a 12 hour shift (with the slower out stations doing as few as 1 run in a 12 hour shift). BLS handles between 10 and 20 L&S jobs in a 12 hour shift.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
yes we respond code 3, usually more often than we transport. We do alot of CCT and have numerous CCN's and even 2 fixed wing aircraft. We contract with numerous hospitals and are even the sole provider for NICU and peds for one major hospital. but the majority is responding to SNF and the like. Here a paramedic with 10 years on the job pulling 2 24's a week makes around 70k a year a emt with the same time in pulls about 50k. If your a captain it goes up from there. Its a good company, they pay low to start but if you do your time they pay well. I dont know about you but working 2-3 times a week and pulling in 70K plus is not bad. Most of the time we dont even deal with fire so we do all of the work, and every so often you get an on scene.

What company is this? You can PM me.

strangerdude88

Forum Probie
ive been thinking lately a lot about switching over to a 911 company since the company i work with does pure IFT i feel like it becomes really routine compared to the different calls i would be getting if i worked for a 911 company.

the reason why i wanna switch over to 911 is for the experience id be gaining for paramedic school, but the reason i wanna stay at IFT is the pay that there giving me which is way better than the 911 pay.

what do you guys recommend?

thank you for any responses.

Your best bet is to get a job with McCormick, I did my ride along(Inglewood) while I was in EMT school with them and had non stop calls(2 GSW's in one day). I am planning to work with them soon. Good luck!

MDA

Forum Lieutenant
Your best bet is to get a job with McCormick, I did my ride along(Inglewood) while I was in EMT school with them and had non stop calls(2 GSW's in one day). I am planning to work with them soon. Good luck!

They aren't hiring. I've spoken with the operations manager/hiring manager regularly and they aren't considering people until maybe after summer. I've been on the eligibility list (with prior experience) for a while.

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
They aren't hiring. I've spoken with the operations manager/hiring manager regularly and they aren't considering people until maybe after summer. I've been on the eligibility list (with prior experience) for a while.

yeah i hear they are Impacted with EMT's, there are wayy too many EMT's in CA right now....

ive had partners tell me a few years ago, you can walk into Mcormicks office and they would hire you on the spot...

sigh i wish i started this earlier

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
yeah i hear they are Impacted with EMT's, there are wayy too many EMT's in CA right now....

ive had partners tell me a few years ago, you can walk into Mcormicks office and they would hire you on the spot...

sigh i wish i started this earlier

I have a feeling it will be like this for a while. Basically until the economy recovers and unemployment drops enough, it will be impacted.

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
I have a feeling it will be like this for a while. Basically until the economy recovers and unemployment drops enough, it will be impacted.

id say untill the end of the year, but it seems like its SLOWLY getting better..

does anyone know anything about Hall Ambulance in Kern county? (bakersfield)

are they impacted with EMT's too? (Im guessing not as bad as OC/or La Counties)

Lone Star

Forum Crew Member
In the 'real world of private carriers', IFT's are the 'bread and butter' of the company.

It doesn't take a great deal of skill to stop bleeding, put the patient on oxygen and hold C-spine.

With the IFT, you are exposed to the 'medical side of things'; this is where most of the EMT-B crowd seems to have problems.

Another consideration is this; while attending school, you're going to be hard pressed between working, studying and class time. The intelligent approach would be to stay where you KNOW you're going to make the most money, and have a schedule that can be altered to accomodate school/study time with no major complications.

9-1-1 calls are great for the 'adrenaline junkie', but by no means are they the end all/beat all of EMS.