$25 per hour EMT-B Pay?

medic417

The Truth Provider
Yeah, if I kill someone or commit sexual harrassment. But, discipline is ensured to be the same for all, as in no favoritism or double standards. They can't fire one of us for just anything. There are progressive discipline procedures to follow, as well as SOP's that specifically spell out what is and isn't punishable.

Look at all the out of work union members in the country today. The union did not protect them. In fact some of the union actions kept them from having jobs.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Look at all the out of work union members in the country today. The union did not protect them. In fact some of the union actions kept them from having jobs.

What some have overlooked is that quite a few fire unions have agreed to reopen contracts to help with the budget over the past several years. What some also fail to realize is that public safety unions aren't like other professions and industries in that it's unlawful to strike. Sure, an EMS local could choose to do a work slowdown, but they can't strike. If they are unwilling to give concessions, then they get what they deserve, layoffs.

As far as protection from layoffs, if there needs to be a RIF, then it's going to happen regardless. My local, through political connection with our county BOS, successfully avoided any layoffs in our dept, and preserved our salaries and benefits. My local has also succeeded in removing the sunset clause from our DROP. They're also working towards a 20 year retirement and a 5 year DROP instead of the current 3. A 3 year DROP alone is worth 3 years of free money while I'm still working. Now it's guaranteed to always be there. That alone is a huge ROI for my dues. Add a 20 year retirement and/or a five year DROP and I'll retire very comfortable and still be young enough to have another career.

That progressive discipline I referred to was fought for and won by my local. This allows for discipline of our screwups. Our promotional process was also won by our local, thus eliminating nepotism and other forms of favoritism, as well as merit based promotion instead of quota based, like the New Haven 20.

Additionally, the NLRA act, should it pass, will require management to negotiate with labor on work issues. This is for police, fire and EMS. Arbitration is by a third party, no striking. There's also a clause that stipulates that union members cannot volunteer where other union members are employed. It already passed in the House, I'm just waiting for the Senate to pass it.

Bottom line, when I worked in Charleston I saw what it was like to work for a place where you're on your own with no organization. I'll never work for a place like that again if I can help it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Yes, unions play a part of compensation, but let's keep the debate of whether unions are worth it or not to another thread.

Medicbob

Forum Probie
New Orleans EMS pays 16/hr starting for basics. over 20 for paramedics. Hope you guys are watching Nightwatch season 2!