$25 per hour EMT-B Pay?

Dandy

Forum Probie
Any of you forum readers able to tell me how much the ambulance companies pay in Northern California like in the Bay area or any of the surrounding areas? I here the rate is maybe $20 $25 per hour for an EMT-B because of the cost of living. Do you know any examples of who is paying how much? Muchas gracias.

MDA

Forum Lieutenant
Any of you forum readers able to tell me how much the ambulance companies pay in Northern California like in the Bay area or any of the surrounding areas? I here the rate is maybe $20 $25 per hour for an EMT-B because of the cost of living. Do you know any examples of who is paying how much? Muchas gracias.

Absolutely false.
I know most companies in that area, and none are over $10 an hour.
Most start around $9.00 with "call bonuses" that can equal $11ish an hour if you're lucky.

Even in Los Angeles, the HIGHEST pay I've seen for an EMT-B is like $12-$13 and that's rare.

OP
OP
D

Dandy

Forum Probie
Greedy....$11ish if I'm lucky?

And $12-13 is rare? WTX? $11ish is less than In-N-Out burger flippers make! Why do you think ambulance companies can take advantage of us this way?

medic417

The Truth Provider
And $12-13 is rare? WTX? $11ish is less than In-N-Out burger flippers make! Why do you think ambulance companies can take advantage of us this way?

Lack of education required and way to many people willing to do the emt work for free or on the cheap. The rule of supply and demand.

OP
OP
D

Dandy

Forum Probie
Is this right?

Is this right if I can get a 24 hour shift if we figure $10/hour? 8 hours at regular pay + 4 hours at 1.5x pay + balance at double pay so = $80 + $60 + $240= $380 for a 24 hour shift?

JPINFV

Gadfly

Well... In-N-Out gets what they pay for (good workers, I've never had bad service at an In-N-Out) and apparently both EMS and In-N-Out employers are happy with the quality of employee that they are attracting on a normal basis.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I think I'm going to start telling folks interested in becoming an EMT that EMTs make $3 an hour so that they're not as disappointed when they finish school and realize that they make minimum wage or close to it.

OP
OP
D

Dandy

Forum Probie
Dropped meat!

At least when In-N-Out drops the meat they don't get fired and sued! Is ther a union we can join to help us? The ambo companies are probably making good money. Lets get some!

medic417

The Truth Provider
Is this right if I can get a 24 hour shift if we figure $10/hour? 8 hours at regular pay + 4 hours at 1.5x pay + balance at double pay so = $80 + $60 + $240= $380 for a 24 hour shift?

No most EMS is exempt from standard overtime rules. So best to expect straight $8 entire shift and do not be shocked if asked to work free standby.

OP
OP
D

Dandy

Forum Probie
No Overtime? But.....this says..

FYI from the San Francisco Paramedic website;
http://www.sfparamedics.org/pages/ems/emt-press.php

In March 2003, the Department of Labor (DOL) published a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking in the Federal Register to revise and update the exemptions from overtime under the FLSA for executive, administrative and professional employees, also known as "white collar" exemptions. Along with other public safety and healthcare workers, many EMS workers became alarmed that such exemptions would contribute to confusion over their status as "blue" or "white" collar workers and their ability to earn overtime compensation.

During the public comment period, NAEMT and other public safety worker organizations worked to seek clarification of the Department's intent with respect to the overtime eligibility of public safety employees-an issue that was not explicitly addressed in the proposed rule. This involved NAEMT mounting an aggressive letter writing, phone call and
legislative meeting schedule to make sure that the NAEMT message was heard and comprehended by those in Washington who would rule on this. "While it's unclear if the DOL was specifically trying to impede the ability of public safety workers to earn overtime, we wanted to be sure that there was no chance for confusion about EMS workers fitting into the 'white collar' exemptions," said Maniscalco. "We wanted to ensure that specific language stated EMTs and Paramedics were protected."

The final regulations make several important changes for public safety employees. For the first time ever, the regulations clarify that neither the regulations contained in 29 CFR nor the Section 13(a)(1) exemptions apply to police officers, firefighters, EMTs and other
first responders who perform public safety work. The regulations go on to clarify why these employees, regardless of their rank or pay level, cannot be classified as executive, administrative or professional employees, and thus be exempted from receiving overtime pay. In addition, the Department acknowledges that the right to overtime compensation
may be extended to some public safety employees who are currently classified
as exempt because of changes to the regulations.

JPINFV

Gadfly
So NAEMT is fighting to say that we are not professionals, but just blue collar technicians?

medic417

The Truth Provider
The final regulations make several important changes for public safety employees. For the first time ever, the regulations clarify that neither the regulations contained in 29 CFR nor the Section 13(a)(1) exemptions apply to police officers, firefighters, EMTs and other
first responders who perform public safety work. The regulations go on to clarify why these employees, regardless of their rank or pay level, cannot be classified as executive, administrative or professional employees, and thus be exempted from receiving overtime pay. In addition, the Department acknowledges that the right to overtime compensation
may be extended to some public safety employees who are currently classified
as exempt because of changes to the regulations.

You should continue the research. OT is not paid after 8 in most cases. Also many EMS qualify to avoid overtime until you have worked 53 hours per week, 106 per 2 weeks, etc, based on pay period used. Some states lower that amount but you can bet your service will do everything in their power to avoid you getting a ton of OT.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
No most EMS is exempt from standard overtime rules. So best to expect straight $8 entire shift and do not be shocked if asked to work free standby.

Fire departments are exempt from the 40 hour requirement (they have a 53 hour work week), if their employees are on 24 hour shifts and asigned to fire supression duties, not EMS.

There is also a way for EMS companies to skip out on paying you for 8 hours at night, but I'm not ultra familiar with this, I've generally steered clear of those companies.

If your OT doesn't fall into one of these to categories, and isn't being paid, it's illegal. I'd contact a labor attorney and/or the local workforce commission.

You should continue the research. OT is not paid after 8 in most cases. Also many EMS qualify to avoid overtime until you have worked 53 hours per week, 106 per 2 weeks, etc, based on pay period used. Some states lower that amount but you can bet your service will do everything in their power to avoid you getting a ton of OT.

Again, this only applies to fire supression personel. Even govenment third service EMS has to pay OT at 40hrs a week. OT is not paid after 8 hrs a day, it hits after 40hrs a week or 80 a payperiod

At least when In-N-Out drops the meat they don't get fired and sued! Is ther a union we can join to help us? The ambo companies are probably making good money. Lets get some!

Good luck making it far with an attitude like that. EMS companies are also notorious union busters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Veneficus

Forum Chief

Could I just inquire what you think you should be paid and why?

OP
OP
D

Dandy

Forum Probie
No OT/

You seem to know what you are talking about and that they don't pay OT, but that sure isn't what that stuff said from the SFPA. Sorry if my In-N-Out gaff upset anybody, but they make $13.50 and hour and have no liability was my point. And if a union could get me $25 instead of $11sh they can wipe my bum all day long. That is the difference between a living wage and renting a room in some guys house.

medic417

The Truth Provider
You seem to know what you are talking about and that they don't pay OT, but that sure isn't what that stuff said from the SFPA. Sorry if my In-N-Out gaff upset anybody, but they make $13.50 and hour and have no liability was my point. And if a union could get me $25 instead of $11sh they can wipe my bum all day long. That is the difference between a living wage and renting a room in some guys house.

Union will not get you that wage but will cost you money on dues. So you lose out all the way.

OP
OP
D

Dandy

Forum Probie
How much?

I think a wage range of $18-$25 per hour would be commensurate with the work. Look, most of the EMTs I know are squared away people without the grunge factor who are fairly intelligent and emphasize patient care. That is what the companies are built on. But it would depend on where you live cause there are cost differences and stuff.

OP
OP
D

Dandy

Forum Probie
Union dues?

You are kidding! If I make even $20 instead of $11 that is $18,000 a year more! I'll pay the union dues, they cant be that much!

medic417

The Truth Provider
Fire departments are exempt from the 40 hour requirement (they have a 53 hour work week), if their employees are on 24 hour shifts and asigned to fire supression duties, not EMS.

There is also a way for EMS companies to skip out on paying you for 8 hours at night, but I'm not ultra familiar with this, I've generally steered clear of those companies.

If your OT doesn't fall into one of these to categories, and isn't being paid, it's illegal. I'd contact a labor attorney and/or the local workforce commission.

Again, this only applies to fire supression personel. Even govenment third service EMS has to pay OT at 40hrs a week. OT is not paid after 8 hrs a day, it hits after 40hrs a week or 80 a payperiod

Good luck making it far with an attitude like that. EMS companies are also notorious union busters.

You may want to reexamine the laws. There is another classification as well that some EMS fall into that does not pay overtime until after about 43 hours per week. There are numerous ways that a service can get qualified to avoid paying so much overtime.