20 years ago...

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
A Chicago Fire cardiac arrest response from 20 years ago.

Posted just for the "wow, things have sure changed" factor.

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

...if I ran a code like that today, pretty sure the QI would be ... Painful.

Now back in the day, a quick look with LP5 paddles and dumping meds down the tube was pretty much standard of care.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Hey look, intra-arrest induced hypothermia (albeit environmental in nature)!

Makes you wonder if our arrest resuscitations of today will look similarly archaic in 2035. "Haha, look at that medic giving an asystolic patient 10x 1 mg IV epinephrine doses...What were they thinking?"

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Was that a car battery and jumper cables?! And ET drug admin.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
The jet in suff later and the compressions

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

The old "orange box" demand head. Those things could blow up a belly.

But the compressions. Amazing that they saved anyone, ever.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Ahhh, the good ol days! LOL!

I still remember the last code where I did epi down the tube....was around 1995 or 1996. I remember the patient/transport clearly...was a "simple" interfacility run of a terminal AIDS patient.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
I had a doctor order drugs down the tube 7 years ago when I called to get permission to stop working the patient. Drugs down the tube (since they weren't working IV) and transport. When I got to the hospital, the ED doctor for the room (our medical director) called him before we moved the patient over and asked why I brought him in. About that time the radio doctor walked in and started screaming that we weren't doing anything to the patient. I responded "we are, we are getting him ready for the ME". Medical director took over from there, as soon as he stopped laughing

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
Drugs down the ET tube in cardiac arrest were included in the first set of Clinical Procedures I got in 2007.